I helped induct the latest 26.2 club member! (Read 926 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

4:04 and change after he crossed the start line our Mike/PowerOfQ returned across as a marathoner! Cool In 2.5 years as a runner this was the first race I attended as a spectator. What a fantastically different and equally wonderful way to take part in a race! And to see the raw emotion displayed by Mike and his family upon his successful finish had me reliving the moments after my own first race, again. What a feeling! I really enjoyed spending the morning with Mike's wife, Rebecca, since I know the area well enough to get around (though there are definitely stretches that are faster to get to and from on foot, as we found when we missed Mike at a section of course while we were dealing with all the other spectator traffic), so we had her ride shotgun to support Mike in his efforts as a little team. Congrats, Mike! I am so proud of you...I know you were hurtin' at the end, but you still looked strong and you ran through the discomforts like the champion you are. You're an inspiration to your family and your friends--and Dane thinks you're cool, too! Smile "Enjoy" the next few days as you take a well-deserved break to recover! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sweet. Nice work Q! Can't wait for the report.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And the signs I think PoQ was too in the zone to notice:

~ Sarah Kay

redleaf

Yippie! Way to go Mike! (and nice signs zoomy!)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(and nice signs zoomy!)
            Ha, some folks in the med station at mile 23.5 were taking pics of the beer one for the race website! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

Congratulations to Mike- and those are fantastic signs! Arla

Ex runner

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice. But it will take a lot more than that to make up for that Hasselhoff post. (Shudder) Dead

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice. But it will take a lot more than that to make up for that Hasselhoff post. (Shudder) Dead
                  Dude, that was funny! The comments were golden! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Nice job Zoom, a friendly face in the crowd is priceless. Oh, and the guy that was doing the running did OK too. Wink

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Bugs

Zoom, you sound like a very good friend. I need to go watch a marathon one day, I've yet to do that. LOVE THE SIGNS.

Bugs

just awesome!
                        And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I gotta give a big kudos to my kid, though. How many 7.5 year olds can say that they have attended 2 marathons just this month and not complained about it too much (not even about a sore cowbell clangin' arm)? The kid's a real trooper.

~ Sarah Kay

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks for posting them all ZZ. My mind was mush by 18, and I just didn't have it in me to read, let alone comprehend what was on the signs. It really meant a lot to have you there, and to bring Rebecca along with you. I know I didn't acknowledge y'all at 23, but it got me through to the end. I didn't expect to see you there, and was having a personal pity party when I looked up and saw your smiling faces. It gave me that little bit of motivation to KEEP MOVING FORWARD. I can't express how much that meant to me, so thanks 'n' stuff! It also made me realize just how important it can be to have someone you know out on the course cheering you on, and I will definitely be there for you in the future. Just a really cool day, thanks for helping me along.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It also made me realize just how important it can be to have someone you know out on the course cheering you on, and I will definitely be there for you in the future. Just a really cool day, thanks for helping me along.
                              Ha, well, I wasn't so much "cheering" as croaking hoarsely (when I get laryngitis, I REALLY get laryngitis, even though I feel a lot healthier than I sound). Cowbell is a poor substitute for screaming my fool head off, which I am MUCH better at (wasn't voted "cheerleader of the year" in HS for nuthin')! It was so awesome to be on the supporter end of a race, rather than always a supportee. And to see a friend earn the title "marathoner" so soon after my own first was really awesome. My own memories of the pain and frustration in those later miles is very fresh, so I really felt for ya'. I knew you'd finish and already be looking at your next "fix," though. Big grin BTW, your kids are too damned cute. I predict that your DD is going to be hell on wheels someday (where do you suppose that comes from...? Evil grin). Man, what a twinkle in her eyes. And your family's reaction to seeing you coming towards the finish and then passing and running those last few yards was priceless. I wish I would have had a camera on me (did has the point-n-shoot with him in Vegas and the DSLR is just too much of a pain to deal with on a race day) to capture some of that for you. Lots of emotion and pride. It was really a beautiful thing to witness. Congrats again! And I hope you are getting around OK today. Did you end up taking the day off? You definitely deserve a day off to rest (and pop the vitamin I at regular intervals).

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations Q!!! Nice signs! Big grin

Michelle