Aqua Jogging Tips? (Read 2858 times)

I tried some deep water pool running this morning since my calf hurts if I run.   I did it for 50 minutes and then ran out of time.

That's a pretty good workout, and definitely feels more like running than the elliptical or spinning.   When I got out of the water and tried to walk, my legs were like rubber, but no "pain."

Does anyone have any tips or pointers to get the most benefit out of this? I'm trying to get my cadence close to what it is while running, but I'm finding that pretty hard difficult. 

Pfitzinger talks about aqua jogging and then lays out a 9 week plan to maintain fitness.  It's definitely worth the effort if you can stand the mind numbing monotony.

Jennifer mm#1231

Pfitzinger talks about aqua jogging and then lays out a 9 week plan to maintain fitness.  It's definitely worth the effort if you can stand the mind numbing monotony.

Thanks for the link!   Btw, I'll take the mind-numbing monotony over not being able to do anything because of pain, and knowing that I'm losing lots of running fitness that I worked so hard to regain. 

I guess with it starting to get crappy outside, I picked a good time to reinjure my calf. 

Tom,

All I can add is "stick with it."  The Thunder told me to get in the water and I feel a lot better these days.  The pool is better than eliptical or spinning if only because of the hyrdostatic pressure from the water on the calf.  If you emphasize pool over eliptical/bike, you may not need the nine weeks.  Also, the larger the pool, the greater the hydrostatic pressure (says TT). 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Wear one of those flotation belts so that your head is clearly above water. Besides that just keep at it. I also like it a little more than stationary cycling or elliptical for cross training. I've even done 1:40 "long runs" in the pool and it really is pretty tiring. I also came back from my injury really quick (three months from running .5 miles to running my third fastest 10k and third fastest 5k).
              Wear one of those flotation belts so that your head is clearly above water. Besides that just keep at it. I also like it a little more than stationary cycling or elliptical for cross training. I've even done 1:40 "long runs" in the pool and it really is pretty tiring. I also came back from my injury really quick (three months from running .5 miles to running my third fastest 10k and third fastest 5k).

Thanks.  I did wear a belt, as they were provided by the city pool. I tried to go a little without the belt, but I think that's something I'll have to work up to. There's no slacking w/out the belt. 

It's encouraging to know that you came back so quick and did so well in a short amount of time.  

Thanks much!

I have done several stints of aqua-jogging (with the belt).   I wear a cap (baseball) and put my iPod in a ziploc and put it under the cap on my head.  That way I have music which helps the boredom.  I did intervals, too.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MrH

In addition to what has already been posted, check out aquajogger.com.

You can use tethers and other equipment to help increase the intensity of the workout, such as cuffs.

It certainly can help maintain performance through injury. There are many other benefits too.

Prior to alter-g and underwater treadmills, elites like Paula Ratcliffe used deep  water training with running belts quite often.

My DW teaches and trains in the water and swears by it. 

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Thanks.  I did wear a belt, as they were provided by the city pool. I tried to go a little without the belt, but I think that's something I'll have to work up to. There's no slacking w/out the belt. 

It's encouraging to know that you came back so quick and did so well in a short amount of time.  

Thanks much!

You need the belt and make sure in deep enough water ... your feet should not hit the bottom of the pool.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I met Bob Larsen at a local mexican food place the other night  (random...I asked about his NYC marathon sweatshirt, he said he didn't run it, one of the guys he coaches ran it).  He asked about my running, yadda yadda, and then told me that when Meb was recovering from his stress fracture, he aqua jogged the pool where we swim.  So there ya go. 

I was told that I shouldn't aqua jog when I had my stress fracture because of it's length and proximity to the joint at the knee.

BTW~ to the OP.  what is your calf injury?  I struggled with calf issues too and found ultrasound and deep tissue massage helped the most. 

Jennifer mm#1231

evanflein

Deep water running, with the flotation belt, is the best rehab workout and injured runner can do. I have done it several times through shin splints, Achilles tendinitis, and foot problems.  It really does help maintain your running fitness while recovering. I also did some stationary bike and elliptical just for variety and it seems I could get my HR up for longer periods of time. But, I swear by the water running. I'll have to try that trick with the iPod, because while it's good for you, pool running can be very dull indeed.

BTW~ to the OP.  what is your calf injury?  I struggled with calf issues too and found ultrasound and deep tissue massage helped the most. 

I'll try to make a very long story short... (the real story dates back to 1995 when both calves imploded at the same time during an easy run about a month after the Chicago marathon. It's been a re-occurring struggle ever since -- yes, nearly 15 years of no running for weeks at a time, PT, no running for weeks at a time, PT, etc. ... all to no avail).

My chiropractor thinks this current problem is a grade 1 strain about half-way up the leg.  The treatments have consisted of ART, ultrasound/estim, and I do my own deep tissue massage multiple times throughout the day.

The sharp pain has subsided, but there's still a general achy feeling and stiffness nearly all the time. When I do the deep massage myself, I can feel lots of sore spots deep  in the muscle near the midpoint of the calf and upward.  The last time I tried to run was Wed morning. Before about 2 miles the right calf was very stiff and the pain/stiffness was building with each step.  I figured it was time to stop before I did more damage.  That's the reader's digest version.  

I look my best blurry!

I just want to add that I am living proof that aquarunning works!  NO DOUBT about it!  I had a small stress fx in the neck of my femur.  Since the beginning of Feb all I could do was run in the pool.  No biking or walking or elliptical allowed.  I wasn't allowed to do push ups or sit ups, only crunches.  So, I took lots of calcium and I worked my butt off in the pool.  I also used an upper extremity bike regularly.  March 19th I started running 1/4 mi every other day.  The next week I was supposed to run 1/2 mile every other day but I went a bit further, usually 2 miles.  I started adding hip and core strengthening exercises on the days I couldn't run.  I had one easy 3 mile run and one easy 4 mile run and then I ran a 5K,  just 3 weeks after 6 weeks of  pool running.  Yesterday I set a new PR 40 seconds faster that my old PR.  I was in complete shock at the finish line.  I wasn't even pushing myself.  I had no idea what my time was until the end.  I went out fairly easy and increased because I felt so good.  I finished feeling strong.

Initially, I used an aquajogging belt.  As I got better at it, I wanted to challenge myself, so, I ran without it. I varied the workout by running 2 different styles that I called sprinting which was an up and down motion and running, which seemed more like a natural running pattern.  That helped me keep going when I would get calf cramps.  I focused on my form and didn't lean forward more than a couple degrees.  I really pumped my arms and legs.  No phase of the pattern was easy.  I also varied the intensity.  I listened to my iPod using and H2O audio iPod cover to help entertain myself.   In the end, I went back to using the belt for part of the workout, because I was afraid I was pushing myself too hard.  I was developing some patellar tendonitis and my hip also had gluteus minimus tendonopathy that was aggravated.  

I just am sooo glad that I kept working out instead of taking a break on the couch.  I developed some biceps I never had by using the arm bike and I just can't believe my time in that race yesterday.  

I also owe some thanks to Nobby and Tchuck for their input.  Just having some RA pals encourage me and take an interest in my recovery has meant so much to me.  Lots of others shared their trials and tribulations and supported me, too.  Really, you guys are the greatest.  I love RA.  "LOVE!"  You are my people!

Ole' 5K was awesome.  Fiesta after the race with music, yummy burrito bar, Italian ice and more.  So fun!

she runs like a girl

I'm not an aqua jogger, I'm an aqua runner!
                              2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There's ippoders even in the pool? I actually am surprised at that.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.