what to look for in sunglass (Read 169 times)

hectortrojan

Hi,

The only time I use sunglasses is when I am driving against bright sun. That does not happen often and I hardly wear them.

I have noticed that sometimes sun bothers me when I go running in AM or in evenings. What should I look for in sunglasses? People who use sunglasses while running, what do you find important?

#artbydmcbride

That they are lightweight

fit snug and don't bounce

polarized lenses

Most important:

that the bottom of the lenses don't rest against my cheeks, but have a gap so air can flow and condensation from sweat doesn't form

I like these:

Oakley half jacket

Runners run

jfa

Light and cheap because they really get beat up from dropping and sweating.

Cheap, light, snug so no bouncing and will stay in place when I move them to the top of my head when I hit shade, or dusk arrives.

Personally I think "cheap" is not the way to go.    Don't go crazy on cost (running glasses often range from $50-$250), but if you only wear them for running, you will likely have them for a long time.   Features that were imporatant to me:

Polarized

Fit your face well and don't bounce around

Depending where you live - anti fog is big as well.  I live in WI so the anti fog is critical for winter running.   This is also when I wear them the most since the snow can really be hard on the eyes on sunny mornings.

I bought a pair last fall at the Chicago Marathon expo for $90 that I really like.   They are polarized and anti fog.  Hope this helps.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

OTOH, I bought a pair of "Ironman" sunglasses for less than $20 at a discount store, and I've used them for > three years.  Light, comfy, wraparound.

hectortrojan

Thanks everyone. It helped.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Photochromic, rimless bottom (prevents blind spots for checking behind me for cars when on the bike), script.  I currently have some Adidas ones I like.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Cyberic

Fogging is a major issue in my case. I have prescription Oakley sunglasses, that I bought before my running days, that are perfect for my face, but they fog up when I run while it's very humid in the summer and cold in the winter. After many times holding the glasses in my hand for most of a run, I just don't wear them anymore. I should go buy another pair, but prescription glasses are not cheap. I want to be certain the next pair will not fog up

Mysecondnewname

Fogging is a major issue in my case. I have prescription Oakley sunglasses, that I bought before my running days, that are perfect for my face, but they fog up when I run while it's very humid in the summer and cold in the winter. After many times holding the glasses in my hand for most of a run, I just don't wear them anymore. I should go buy another pair, but prescription glasses are not cheap. I want to be certain the next pair will not fog up

I bought a prescription pair of these:  http://www.sportrx.com/ray-ban-rb2016-daddy-o-square-59-eyesize.html and have never had a problem with fogging.

They also have some specifically "anti-fog" sunglasses on this site.

Good luck!

Use some stuff called, Cat Crap. It helps prevent fogging on sunglasses and goggles. It does a great job with keeping lenses clear, but it will wear off kind of fast if need to keep wiping the sweat off of your lenses. Yes, it's actually called Cat Crap, no joke. It comes in a little red plastic container.

Run Wild

Cheap!  Sunglasses get lost, broken, scratched frequently.  No since in getting expensive ones.  Save that cash for shoes and race entry

Capt Awesome

I don't subscribe to the "cheap is best" mentality... sure, shades can get lost, scratched, broken, etc. If you don't take care of them. If you do, it's well worth the money to get a good polarized pair to protect your eyes from the sun, frequent glare, wind/rain/snow/road grit and all the other things that can affect them. I see people who spend more money on a pair of socks than a pair of glasses to protect their eyes... mind-boggling to me.

Capt Awesome

Oh yeah, for recomendations, I like Oakley Flak Jackets but Native Hardtops are good as well as models from Smith and Tifosi. If you buy online you can get good deals from sierratradingpost.Com and campmor.Com on closeouts.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I see people who spend more money on a pair of socks than a pair of glasses to protect their eyes... mind-boggling to me.

You are assuming the higher price determines better functionality / protection that is useful for a runner.  I'm not convinced that's the case.  $10 UVa/b polarized shades from CVS work just as well as $324 Rudy Project Go Flows.  Though they might not make you as popular with your mirror.

Socks, on the other hand go on your feet.  You use your feet for running.  That means better socks mean you go faster.  Clearly.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do