2:42:01 (Read 531 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is what the McMillan calculator predicts I could run a 25k in, based-upon my HM time of 2:14:35. I'd REALLY like to do it in under 2:30. My HM was back in Oct, when I had only been running about 7 months. By the time I run my 25k I will have been running for almost 2x that long. I also plan to add at least a day of speedwork/week to my workouts once the weather improves, so maybe in a month or so (HM is in mid-May). Any other suggestions? I would need to drop over a half minute/mile from my HM pace to be able to do this...is that really even likely? I'm pretty turtle-ish.... Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

I'd say Big Tempo's at ~9:50 pace, as often as you can handle, whenever the weather lets you, starting now. Build up to it...start with 3 x 2 miles at 9:50, then 4 x 2 mile, 5 x 2 mile, then try a 4 mile tempo run at that pace, then 5 mile etc. That's where you get the most bang for your buck. Good luck!

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sweet! As soon as we have clear roads (heh...this could be a while, unfortunately) I definitely want to start hitting the speedwork and hills hard. Would tempos like that be easiest to do on a track? I'm guessing if I were to do workouts on a track that I would have to do it on the weekend, when school and track practices aren't in session. k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

I do most workouts like those on the roads, but occasionally I'll take them on the track to sanity check them...the road is better training for the environment in which you'll be racing (hills, wind, no feedback on pace every 200 meters etc.) but once in a while its good to do a workout like that on the track just to see how precise you can get with the pace. On the roads your pace for tempos and 1/2 marathon pace stuff does not have to be exact, +/- 10 seconds either way depending on how you're feeling, hills, wind etc. But on the track you should be able to hit within a couple seconds per mile of what you're shooting for. During the school year, the High School track I use is generally availabe early in the morning, after 6 p.m. and anytime on Sunday exept during football season when there are pop warner games there.

Runners run

The other easy thing to do is pick a shorter race - like a 5k or 5mi - and do it now and see what your McMillan prediction is... that would be a good predictor of how likely it is.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, I HATE 5ks (I usually don't even feel warmed-up until about 2.5 miles in to a typical run). I'm actually thinking the only 5k I might do this year is the Susan G. Komen one, and that is only for the cause. Right now the shortest race I have in my sights is a 15k (this year I am planning on a couple of these, a 10 miler, and at least one HM--in addition to the 25k). I would think that my time on a longer race would give me a more accurate idea of what I can do for a 25k. There is a 15k I plan to register for in late March. k

~ Sarah Kay

have you used MacMillan calculator to predict any other races? Everytime I've used it to predict a race time, I've come in well under their predicted time. My point being you may be one of those who falls into their predictor exactly but you could also be above, or below. You may be able to shave that time easier than you think. Does that make sense? I came in almost 7minutes faster than their predicted marathon time for me. A minute faster than their predicted 10k...and that was based on the hm time I ran a few weeks ago.

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jennifer, that's very promising to hear. I really haven't done enough races to be able to measure much from that predictor. My pace for my HM was faster than my 10 miler only 6 weeks prior, but I had a REALLY bad race for that 10 miler. Other than that my only races were 5 ks (yeck) and a 10k quite early in my racing "career" (and during a bad heatwave). So I don't have much to base any estimates on. k

~ Sarah Kay

I'd also suggest getting your long runs up to 17 or 18 miles then taper about 2 -3 weeks before your 25k race. Getting a few longer runs ( than the race) has worked for me (my Marathon would of been much faster but I ran with dh and ran his pace since he's more of a sprinter than a distance runner).

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pam, I am definitely in agreement with that idea. Aside from full marathons (and longer races), I have never understood not trying to do *at least* the distance of the race a few times beforehand. Before my HM I did a few runs ~13.5 miles, just to make sure that a HM was something I was definitely ready for--more for peace of mind, than anything. But I'd certainly like to do a mile or two over the 25k, if I can. My biggest limitation will be the time thing--at my pace it can be hard to find the time for that kind of long run (especially as my DH will be training for his 100+ mile JDRF benefit bike ride in Aug. and needs time for his long rides, as well). k

~ Sarah Kay