Tapering (Read 479 times)

I'm in a conservative (5% weekly increase) winter base building cycle. I have some big personal running goals for 2008 and want to make sure to a get a nice healthy base built. This is my first true winter of strictly base building with little to no speed work, just easy and long runs. My question is about taper weeks. Should I include them into my program. If so, how often do you do a taper week and what percentage of your weekly milage should that week be. Thank you in advance for the advice.
      I've read a lot about turning down the weekly mileage by 20% every fourth week. However, this is often during the harder periods of training. During base build (if you have a decent base) I wouldn't be as concerned about it (so long as you're not adding more than 10% mileage per week). And if you're feeling tired, listen to your body and back off a bit. If you want to do some more googling on this, though, search "recovery weeks" because that's actually what you're talking about here. The "taper" period is the time in the weeks right before your key race. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

search "recovery weeks" because that's actually what you're talking about here. The "taper" period is the time in the weeks right before your key race. Smile Thank you. I was wondering why the only results on got with "running taper" were race week based.
          As has been mentioned, recovery weeks are more what you probably are talking about. I will usually do an easier week every 4th or 5th week. For me it's more about reducing intensity then it is total mileage. I will not do any speedwork that week and my long run is usually shorter than the other weeks. When I'm not training for a specific marathon, I base the week I choose more on how I feel rather than sticking to a specific schedule.
          VictorN

During an base building cycle, I would play it completely by feel. If you are feeling tired or joints are starting to hurt, then take a recovery week (drop 10-20% of your mileage). I wouldn't plan them ahead of time unless you know from experience that you will need them. Victor
              During an base building cycle, I would play it completely by feel. If you are feeling tired or joints are starting to hurt, then take a recovery week (drop 10-20% of your mileage). I wouldn't plan them ahead of time unless you know from experience that you will need them. Victor
              I second that. During a period of pure base building you're not pushing yourself as hard as when you're getting ready to race, so you shouldn't need plan down weeks, but if you feel like you need one, take one.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

If you need an easy week, take one. If you don't, don't. Remember that "base" does not need to mean no fast running at all. Fast finishes, some short fartleks, strides, etc will help you keep touch with your speed while not stressing your body too much.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills