race packet pickup in person - why (Read 273 times)

aponi

never runs the tangents

The hubs is running a marathon tomorrow. I work about a block from the convention center where the expo is taking place. It opens in about 45 minutes. I can't go pick up his packet because you have to show a photo id to get your packet.

So instead I am going to take the train home to meet him, then drive back up here after 5:00 when i can park free at work (because I am that cheap) and then walk over to get his packet.

Every other race we do one of us picks up both packets with no problem. The only reason I can think of for this is that they've promised the vendors at the expo that X number of people will be forced to walk past their booth. You also do not have race day packet pickup forcing everyone who doesn't live in town to spend at least one night here. My guess is that people who are traveling are doing that anyway but its got to be annoying for people who live in the burbs to have to trek in today and then again tomorrow.

Is that normal?

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Heh, for the Chicago marathon I gave a friend a photo copy of my ID.  No dice.  Had to be there in person.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

catwhoorg

Labrat

Its pretty normal for most bigger races.

One year I was flying back (from Europe) the day before Publix, and couldn't get to the expo.

I had to provide a copy of my ID and a notarised waiver for my wife to pick up my number.

Work was kind enough to do the notarisation, as it was a work trip that caused the issue.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I also assume is it to force people to go by the vendors. Another reason to hate the big for-profit races....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

aponi

never runs the tangents

I have a buddy at work who looks a lot like the hubs. He's the same height, build, pretty much they could be brothers. I thought about dragging him down there with the hubs id but the thing is my buddy works in the ethics & training department. I just kind of thought maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to ask one of the ethics guys to commit race packet fraud.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

runmichigan

Many of the larger races do it for security reasons.  They do not tend to at the smaller races because they are less likely to be targets.  Some races have also done away with bag check or severly limited the type of bag (clear plastic now) that can be used.

delicate flower

Damn The Man.

<3

Rockin

Damn the terrorists.

catwhoorg

Labrat

My race tomorrow, packet pick-up STARTS an hour before the gun.

But you know Ultra's/Timed races are much more casual like that.

Also the run-by buffet on each lap is going to be amazing.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Arimathea

Tessa

1) Vendors want the runners to see their wares

2) Hotels want the runners to spend the night

3) If there's a problem with a registration the race has more time to fix it

4) If packet pickup takes longer than expected they don't have to worry about getting everyone their packets before the race starts

5) RD has a million things to do the morning of the race and doesn't have time to fix registration problems

6) Forces runners to scope out the start area and reduces chance of getting lost

7) Race can use some of the same volunteers the day before the race rather than try to get an early shift for packet pickup

8 ) Parking doesn't have to open so early since people don't need to pick up their packets

9) Can be done indoors in case of inclement weather

10) Can be done inside where power strips and wifi are more easily available

11) In the case of Detroit and any other race that crosses borders, passports can be checked

That said, I see no reason not to allow someone else to pick up a packet if the pickup person has signed authorization and photo ID from the entrant, especially if the race isn't full. If the race is full I suspect bib theft would be more of a problem.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The bigger races that I have participated in have had a proxy pickup process.  In fact, it got quite a bit of use at the last marathon where I volunteered.

Even back in the pre-paranoid days, I wouldn't have wanted just any dummy who decides he wants to run the race to walk in, give them a random number that happens to be mine, and get my packet.

I can't stand this either.  The Seattle Marathon requires this, so I have to travel there and pick up the packet the night before, then go back home just to turn around again in the morning and head back there to race.  Lame.  Parking downtown is no fun... especially when my brother in law works right next to the convention center!

~Mike

kcam

I just noticed that the Silicon Valley Turkey Trot in San Jose has packet pickup for 5 days before the race at a local Sports Basement and also has a separate special packet pickup day in Santa Cruz (which is 32 miles away over the mountain). That's the way it oughtta be done if you ask me.  Make it convenient for your racers as opposed to inconveniencing your racers to maximize sponsor profits.  They also allow you to pickup someone else's packet.  Not some tiny, local race.  Last year there were over 24,000 runners.

Julia1971

Yes, I think this is pretty normal for most big races that if you want to pick up someone else's bib, you need to show their photo id.  In fact, for many of these races, you can't pick up your own bib without showing id.  Then, they make you read the bib and affirm that it's you.  AND THEN, you go through a scanner that checks AGAIN to make sure it's your bib.

I've always assumed - perhaps naively - it was to make it a little harder for people to take someone else's bib.  Either by mistake or intention.  It's not iron clad, but it probably makes someone think twice about trying to steal a bib that way.  (Now it seems color printers are the way to go).  And the extra check probably prevents giving the bib to the wrong person.  There are at least one other runner in my area with my same name.  It's been years since I've mistakenly been given her bib by mistake.

I think the vendor theory only makes sense if they don't have the id option.  If everyone has to pick up their own bib, 100% will show.  But, if there's the option of someone else can picking up your bib, they can't know how many people will actually show up at the expo.

And, I really do think non-race day packet pick up is to avoid total and complete mayhem on race day.

Dreamn

I've only experienced this at big races like Chicago and Berlin.  Supposedly RnR races makes it a hassle to pick up someone else's big, too.  I've always thought that it was to prevent or lessen the likelihood of "illegal" transfers taking place.  It's less likely that people will sell their bibs if you have to give someone else your ID.  It doesn't prevent it entirely, obviously.