3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

A 3:20 Slowpoke

E78 - sorry the race didn’t go well......I think we’ve all pretty much suffered through at least one race like that.  With another good training cycle......you’ll crush the next one!

Fly -  you’re amazing.  Was your Race perfectly executed?

PJ - Impressive running for you the past couple of months. Nice!

NACN -  wow......fantastic job.  Congrats!

Dad -  nice to see you posting your weeks.  Going to race in the the Spring?

DW -  Solid week.  Feeling fully recovered from your last Race?

my week - 70 mostly slow miles.

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18

OMR

NACN:  Congrats!

E78:  Sorry to hear about the race, and who knew EIEED (aka, the "ear thing") was a thing?  I get that, especially when it's hot/humid, and it usually is an indication that things aren't going to go well.  Way to gut it out, though.

Arvind Balaraman

E78, sorry to hear about your race. You will come back stronger.

Hearty congrats NACN

Jim E

Eliz - Read the RR. I'm sorry you had a hard time, but you gutted it out to the finish which is worth some kudos. I can identify with the over-hydration thing, having been there. I cut way back on water after that and have had no nausea in races since. One problem with the marathon is that you often have to live with a disappointing result for quite a while until you can run another.

Fly - Nice work, Tell all!

NACN - Well done to you too!

Way to go Shalane Flanagan! Maybe I'll cook one of her recipes in her honor this evening.

I made a mistake on my calendar, and that XC race was today, not last week. It went OK, I was a bit slower than last year. Some of that was tactical. I got hemmed in for the first quarter mile, saw my rivals get away. But I ended up leaving the pack I was in behind, so not all bad.

e78 - Sorry you had a bad one....  I've had a few.   I'm sure you'll bounce back strong & positive (after a little rest).

fly - that's a great time... especially on such a tough course... and perfect splits!

nacn - wow!  You've been on the cusp of sub3 for a LONG time.  I'm so happy for you.

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Rehoboth?  Not so sure about that one.

https://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/rehoboth-marathon-wrong-distance-2nd-straight-year

That was from 2011-2012. I think they have their act together now. I think I am going to do it next year, but not sure.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

pepperjack

pie man

For $160 I want no chance of that happening.  If the race is free, I would be a little more forgiving.  It's other things too--I go over there to Dewey in October every year for the big greyhound event I and have run parts of the course and it's sorta boring to me at this point, particularly the out and back part at the end.  And the results are pretty sparse in my hopeful finish range (I like running with lots of people, cherry blossom is my favorite race for that reason).  It's still on my list as my Delaware race, but just doesn't feel like this is the year for it.

As for january, I am at the point of the year where I start eyeing that Bad Idea in texas.  For the last several I try to figure out a way to swing that one logistically and It involves a gap of several weeks between marathon and Ultramarathon (I'm no max).  So I've penned myself in to a bit of a corner at the moment, probably unnecessarily.

cDave - I forgot to ask--full compliment of coaches this week at track?

The week that was

M - 8 easy

T - 10 (6 tempo track - first 3 @ 6:45, second 3 @ 6:40 - running with my friend Bryn for her workout--breathing was fairly comfortable, legs were not)

W - 6 sludge factory recovery

T - 6 brooks fun run slightly less sludge

F - 4 bad idea pace trail miles in rock creek park with my sister

S - 20 long run (first 10+ easy around--ran into my friend in the park unplanned thei time and did 7:15 (her MP/MP -10?) for 4, then another 2 at 7:30 maybe MP that felt much easier.  By the time I got back home I was at 18.5 and I just went for the 20 instead of 18)

S - 6 easy

so that's 60.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Arvind Balaraman

Week 17 of the training and cannot believe that this is race week. Excited and nervous at the same time

Day Miles Pace Description
                  Mon 5.1 8:21 Easy 5
                        Bootcamp 45 min
                  Tue     Cross Trainer 15 min
                        Foam Rolling 15 min
                    7.87 7:50 5X800
                  Wed     Foam Rolling 15 min
                    3.12 8:28 Treadmill running
                  Thu     Foam rolling 15 min
                    7.44 7:24 5 at MP with 1 WU, 1CD
                        Core workout 30 min
                  Fri     Foam Rolling 15 min
                  Sat 12.03 7:48 Week 17 LSD
                  Sun     Volunteered for a local race
                  Total 35.56    

Average weekly mileage last 17 weeks 54.15
                  AceHarris

elizabeth: sorry about the race, sounded like a physically and mentally tough day. Great job on getting across the line. Read the RR, "you want to bonk with me?" made me laugh. I hope you recover quickly.

NACN: nice work on the sub 3!

I missed Fly's results, but apparently there are reasons to be excited! Do tell!

Arvind: how you feeling?

Nice weeks Dad, Arv, PJ, DWave, Dave. I'm sure I'm missing some folks.

My week:

M: 5 easy, 8:30

T: 6.2 easy, last mile pickup (7:50 avg w/ last mile at 6:56)

W: off

T: 4 easy, 8:23

F: 5 easy on the TM (8:12)

S: 8 easy (7:54)

S: 5 easy (7:51)

also mixed in squats, lunges, core, jump rope, strides, injury prevention. Going to try to get on the trails more, but this week was fairly wet and the trails were a mess.

33.2 for the week. Will start some workouts and hills in the coming weeks and start to build mileage just a little bit.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Arvind Balaraman

thank you Ace

Feeling Lethargic with reduced training. But sticking to it hope it would do wonders for my race this week.

Arvind: how you feeling?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Eliz For hydration I try to pack it in the WEEK of the race instead of the night before. I've had the full belly feeling discomfort. IT SUCKS. With only knowing your water hydration I can't comment much. I know a Gu every 45 minutes has worked for me in two or three races so I stick with it. I also drink something at each aid station because it seems to be spaced about every 45 minutes in my races. As for gloves, well I keep mine on me. I've run CIM twice and both times I was glad I kept my gloves. Since it gets cold enough here during CIM training (Dec 4) I run with gloves during training I get accustomed to putting them in pockets and pulling them back out. I think Katia and I are the same, we HATE cold hands. While I don't know if female shorts have pockets large enough in them (probably not) I make sure all mine do. Sorry the race was tough on you. As for the inner ear problem....SUCKS. I'd be thinking "nope. not today. fah que." and other variations to myself/that ear. I don't have the cleanest mind when it comes to conversations with myself. Also, I never knew you were that old. You look younger. A LOT younger.

max Not sure if I said it here but if I was to have a coach for an ultra I'd pick you. Just remember to keep things in perspective. Don't compare yourself to others as a negative. They could be fast but you could probably outsmart them in the hills.

rlk how is your boy C-Money? Living on a boat working as a fisherman yet? Working for a new tech startup in the Bay Area off 101/280?

I actually thought I'd get at least 30 this week. Maybe the "not drinking beer until after DS is here" will help with that.

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Oct 30, 2017 thru Sunday, Nov 05, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Link
                        Mon 6.2 8:28 That time something needs to change. strava
                          6.2 8:26    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pesto

rlk - haha, since DD1 was born, valentine day is not February 14th, but any time the nanny is available (we have no family around here) and we have any energy left to go out for dinner. So, probably still once a year :P And it;s only gonna get worse.

PJ, DkW and dad - great weeks! I may have missed other people's weeks too. I'm sure JimE had a great one too, so well done!

Now, onto races:

NACN - HUGE congrats!!! You said you had lower mileage than other cycles going in, maybe this was key? I'd love to hear your training insights as to what allowed you to go sub-3 (aside from natural talent of course). Again, fantastic job, you must be extremely happy.

e78 - sorry about the race, that photo does speak by itself. Like you said, it was probably an off day. I'm sure you'll bounce back stronger and the cycle you've put in will pay off eventually.

arvind - good luck this weekend!

My week:

Monday, Oct 30, 2017 thru Sunday, Nov 05, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                          Mon 5.7 8:55 0:51 Escaping the wind. 50 mins on a treadmill strava
                          Tue 7.6 8:42 1:06 Lunch Run strava
                          Wed 5.9 7:43 0:45 Afternoon Run strava
                          Fri 12.5 7:32 1:34 MLR with 4 miles T strava
                            31.7 8:07 4:17

I'm a bit disappointed with my week. I was expecting to get over 40, maybe even closer to 45 this week, but it didn't happen. I had a very good week Mo-Fr, with a lovely MLR on Friday that included 4 miles at T pace. I was expecting to get a 13-15 miler on the weekend, but life happened instead. I was just too busy and it was also DW's bday, so no time for running. Hopefully I'll bounce back this week.

Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

E11 - Bummer! Sorry the race didn't go well. There's quite a difference between your avatar and the pic you posted. I'm sure I'll have something better after reading the RR. I saw on Strava that you finished up, so bravo for that!

Dad - Nice week.

DWave - Excellent week as well.

NACN - Need more info on your new sig line.

PJ - Which Bad Idea in Texas are you thinking of?

Apparently Fly did something awesome, but I don't know what.

Jim - Any more info on the XC race?

My week isn't worth posting a full summary. Through a couple friends who support various veteran's causes (one of them is a veteran) I heard that Rob Jones was in town Sunday, so I did my LR with him and some others who joined in.

I'm seriously considering running the half instead of the full at Tulsa in a couple weeks. I'm sure I could finish the full distance, but I don't think it would be enjoyable - or even the good kind of suffering a proper marathon brings about.

For cold hands I've recently come to love these.  There's plenty of room in the mitt for a hand warmer or two if needed (I haven't seen a need so far) and they're windproof, which is a big thing for me. The wind blows pretty continuously from October-May in Oklahoma, and always seems to be the big reason my hands get cold.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

http://www.ktvn.com/story/36780880/olympic-marathon-champion-sumgong-banned-4-years-for-epo

Olympic marathon champion Jemima Sumgong was banned for four years after a doping tribunal rejected her explanation that blood-boosting hormone EPO was in her system from being treated at a hospital in Kenya days before her failed test.

The tribunal found no legitimate record of the hospital visit and treatment for an ectopic pregnancy claimed by Sumgong, it said Tuesday in a decision released by the Anti-Doping Agency of Kenya.

The panel ruling on her case said the 32-year-old Sumgong's hospital story was "inconsistent at best."

"We might go so far as to state that the athlete's attempt to explain how the substance entered her body bordered on an attempt to deceive the panel," the ruling said.

Sumgong became the first Kenyan woman to win Olympic gold in the marathon when she triumphed at last year's Rio de Janeiro Games. She failed an out-of-competition test on Feb. 28 and was banned for four years from April 3, the date her provisional suspension was announced.

It makes her ineligible for the 2019 world championships and the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Sumgong is the highest-profile athlete on a long list of Kenyans to be banned for doping in recent years. Her case follows that of Rita Jeptoo, who was the top women's marathon runner in the world when she also tested positive for EPO in an out-of-competition test in Kenya in 2014. Jeptoo also received a four-year ban.

Sumgong waived her right to have her backup "B'' sample tested and said she had taken EPO unintentionally after visiting Kenyatta National Hospital in Nairobi six days before her doping test to be treated for an ectopic pregnancy. She claimed she was suffering from severe abdominal pain and was given a blood transfusion and unidentified medication by an unnamed doctor.

The Olympic champion couldn't provide the name of the doctor who supposedly treated her or reliable documents showing she was admitted to the hospital, the tribunal said. It said documents she provided were denounced as fake by the hospital.

The hospital visit was not disclosed by Sumgong at the time of the doping test. She said that was because of the "taboo" surrounding ectopic pregnancies and she wanted to hide it from her husband, who is also her manager.

The only record the hospital had of a visit by Sumgong was in April, when she inquired about treatment for ectopic pregnancies.

The Anti-Doping Agency of Kenya said it believed Sumgong was taking EPO ahead of the defense of her London Marathon title in April.

Sumgong has also won the Rotterdam and Las Vegas Marathons and finished runner-up in the Boston, Chicago and New York races.

So you went to the doctor a week before your test, took a banned substance as a professional athlete and didn't tell your manager. You ALSO didn't tell your husband something important about your pregnancy. Yeah, totally makes sense. I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from. *eyeroll*

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I am not buying it at all.  Not.at.all.

I'm generally a defense-focused, innocent-until-proven-guilty, err-on-the-side-of-freeing-the-guilty type.  

Not buying it at all.

10 miles this morning.  3 mile warm-up (9:05), then 1600, 1200, 2x800, 400 in 5:59, 4:25, 2:53, 2:53, 83, then 3 mile cooldown (9:35).  Misjudged my fitness and pacing slightly, so my legs conked out on the second 800 and the 400.  But I'm still decently happy with this, given it was my first short intervals workout in several weeks.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.