3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

pepperjack

pie man

Same watch and same track.

October

https://www.strava.com/activities/1214100815

This week

https://www.strava.com/activities/1265970535

Their documentation used to say they would ignore elevation gain that fell below a certain slope threshold (which makes sense for cycling) it seems that is now gone at least for me.

edit: found their documentation

We recently changed our thresholds for elevation gain in an effort to provide more accurate elevation data to our athletes who record activities on devices which are not equipped with a barometric altimeter. For the vast majority, these changes have improved the quality of the elevation data reported on Strava. In some areas, the underlying elevation basemap data is poor resulting in inflated elevation totals on Strava.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

oh dang. good find.

good to know. well, gps spits out crap distances on 400m tracks so why not add crap elevation? you know it's flat, and you know how far around it is. Smile

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

AceHarris

Well, I spent 30 minutes trying to create a "moment" with Max, but can't figure out how to include a picture in the RA thread. So, you'll just have to visualize.

I got out my Moab Brewery pint glass out and enjoyed a beer today in honor of Max's achievement. Well done, sir. Loved the pictures as well.

I'm getting the stare from my wife currently, so gotta go.

and yes, we're due in 2 days!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

OMR

e78:  Hmm...I think it is usually a little before things start to head south.  So, at the time the ear thing starts to happen, I'm feeling OK (but not great), but I think I am typically I am starting to feel too warm.

PJ:  What kind of track are you running on to get that elevation?
          max:  Looking forward to reading your RR...when I have time.

pepperjack

pie man

I think a lot of people must have complained about the elevation on challenges (I once missed a challenge by a single meter and but had mutiple runs along the water where it bumps up and down at least 10 feet in a 6 or 7 mile run). But now it's too far in the other direction and I've had 3 or 4 thousand weeks where i used to have 900 or 1200 typically.  Last week I had more gain than climber daf and we all know that can't be remotely true.I think they'll continue to fine tune it.

Omr - mc Escher tracks, they just spiral up and up.

RunAndBikeNick: Welcome! Congrats on the 19:29 this fall, that's faster than any 5K I've done this year. Hopefully you'll be back to running soon after the elective surgery. You should have plenty of time to get back to regular training and building up for Grandma's.

Arvind--best of luck to you this weekend!

E78--best of luck with the Achilles, definitely stay on top of the exercises. I battled with it all summer, but got through it by being consistent with the exercises and lower calf stretching.

RLK--hang in there. I know how frustrating it can be when the LRs don't go as planned, as that describes my long runs during late July and all of August. Though with all of the quality running you're doing during the week, it makes it sounds like a standard case of cumulative fatigue setting in.

Jim--congrats on getting the official notification for Chicago! 

Ace--ooh, any day now! How's DW doing today? Same with you, Brew. How's your DW feeling?

Thanks to everyone for the congrats on Monumental! To finally respond to Pesto's question: My average volume in the 20 weeks before Indy (not including race week) was a couple of tenths under 60 mpw, so much lower than what I've typically trained at in the past. I threw in only three weeks of over 70 miles in the middle of the cycle after a pathetic 10K (43:35) when I freaked out that my lower mileage approach wasn't working, but then came to my senses after a much needed vacation in late August. After the trip, I stuck to 55-65 mile weeks and always made it a point to include one complete rest day (also rare for me). Perhaps I needed less mileage and more rest all along and it took me 8 years to figure it out.

After having to run the day after Monumental due to coaching duties, I've been zeros all week and plan to stay that way at least through the middle of next week. What's next? I'm not sure yet.

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

AceHarris

NACN: DW is fairly uncomfortable, but doing well. She's a champ. My firstborn daughter keeps saying, "when is my baby coming?" She's super excited. My son is less interested. My dog is depressed

Runs feel risky these days with the wife ready to go. Always taking my phone with me and trying to keep them close to home.

Still in the initial build up phase of this training cycle, but feeling much more fresh than previous cycle. Hoping this is a sign of consistency paying off. May be the cooler temps too. Mentally, I'm really enjoying running these days...unless it's on a treadmill. I've been more aware and thankful for the views I get of my city from the many greenways and trails available in town. Benefits of not being on the track or treadmill.

Arv: best of luck this weekend. You've had a solid training cycle, time to let it pay off.

Anybody know how to insert pics into these posts? There's a tab for it, then it has a box beside "source", but I have not idea what to put in the source box.

Who all is running CIM?

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Max - I'm getting through that RR at about the same pace it took you to run the race. I'm curious as to what gear you used, and how you packed it all (while on the run).

Ace - Smart going staying close to the house. How old are you current kiddos again?

To upload a picture I'm pretty sure you have to put the web address for the picture in the "source" box, but I haven't used it on this site yet.

E11 - Zebra coat. Awesome! I also got a kick out of the "bonk with me" comment. Hopefully the Achilles settles down.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Another drive-by...

NACN - interesting if it turns out lower mileage was the key for you.  I feel that it has been for me.  There's a real religion/cult of MORE MILES in the marathon community, but I'm not sure that's always the right answer.  Especially for those of us on the far side of 40 with plenty of miles in the legs already.  For myself, I feel like I've already shaken pretty much everything I can shake from the mileage tree.

Ace - best of luck with the imminent arrival!

re: Strava and altitude, check out this gem.   Some major climb in my little neighborhood.

(Eat your heart out, SMax.)

Ace: Running Ahead won't host images, so you have to upload your image elsewhere before using the image function above.

Ran 3 easy this morning (8:47), then drove down to Richmond.  I'm feeling kinda silly driving down here and paying $$$ for a hotel for an 8K, but so it is.  I was tempted to swap to the half-marathon just to justify the hotel cost, but I'm not in shape to run a good half-marathon right now.  I'm hopeful I can pull off a good 8k.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Darkwave, that's some vert.

Drive by from... Cleveland. A while back I mentioned that I did something that should get my ultrasignup privileges revoked. I'm going to visit my dad and that's depressing (dementia). Last year I did a race here in Cleveland (conquer the castle 100k) so I'm back this year for another attempt. Then I'll visit my dad. Then, and this is the flagrant offense, I'm doing a 24 hour race next Saturday, crooked road near Roanoke VA. It was meant to be a fun run but it's gotten a bit more serious. The race today starts in a couple hours.

pepperjack

pie man

That's pretty close to a lot of us DC/MD/VA folks.

i took a bit of a tumble yesterday early in my run.  It was almost more embarrassing than it was painful, but I'm dealing with a few cuts and bruises. Still got out for an easy 7 today in the nice weather.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ouch, PJ!

Dumping my race report here: http://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2017/11/race-report-richmond-8k-november-11-2017.html

Ran just under 32 minutes.  Technically a PR, though I should hopefully be much faster with a few more workouts and races under my belt.

Absolutely phenomenal weather for the half and full this morning.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

Arvind: how it’s go?!? i saw you finished around 3:21-3:22z that’s a great time! I couldn’t remember what you were aiming for. Great job!!

Arvind Balaraman

Thank you all for teh feedback. My goal was sub-320. if I feel better 3:18. Was feeling great till mile 23 and was running a 7:33 consistent pace. thanks to runningjones from the forum, who was kid enough to run with me (He finished 3:18).

I hit the wall at mile 24 and was running a min slower per mile. Ended  up finishing 3:21:59. Still a BQ by 3 min. Praying that this will get me in. Need to shoot for another marathon to get under 3:20 to give safe cushion. Glad I did not run with the 7:27 pace group.

Many thanks to e78 was coming out and cheering me at mile 14 and 23. It was so nice of her

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Nice write-up.

Arvind - Nice BQ, though bummer about missing the "A" goal.

Ace - Any news??

DD2 is playing the part of the outbreak monkey this weekend. Nothing serious, but the whole household is having cough/drainage problems.

That's something to look forward to,  Brew. Little people go off to school then bring all sorts of germs back!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: