3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

Katia77

Arvind - I agree with what DW and Ilana have said. Too fast too soon.  I ran a 3:18 in May, and my first 13-15 miles I didn't run many miles faster than 7:35 (after the excitement of the first 2), and there were some 7:40s in there. It took a fair amount of discipline, but I knew to hold back so that I could speed up later. I'll post a screenshot of the paces if I get a chance. Going out too fast is almost never rewarding. Pacing usually take serious discipline.

Bone density - I have osteopenia in my spine, too. My femurs have been saved, my dr says by running. Interesting re: Vit D. My dexa scan wasn't SUPER below normal, but I was 25 at the time, so it's just something I need to watch. Part of why I started yoga. The good news is that I no longer starve myself, so yay.

Ilana - keep healing up.

I had a crappy week last week. Found out on Wednesday I was having a miscarriage and had a D&C Thursday night accordingly. My body seems to be recovering okay so I'm hoping I can start running again tomorrow. I've referenced it, but TTC has been the reason I'm keeping my mileage low, and the reason I will continue to do so. I was hoping this time I'd get to take less of a break from racing but at least I'm young (almost 32)  and should still have time to improve.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

OMR: It's validating to finally meet someone who has the same ear clogging thing. And yes, I typically feel pretty good when it comes on, and then things go south a few miles later.

NeedACleverName: I think I might have asked you this before, but was your tendonitis mid-point or insertional? Mine is insertional and I think doing the exercises every day is what allowed me to continue training. Now I just want to get to 100% pain free 100% of the time. Regarding your mileage. My theory is that if you had the three weeks over 70 all in a row, then those could have been beneficial. I've found that having a solid 3-4 weeks of "really high" mileage supported by "medium high" mileage for the rest of the cycle is effective. This is similar to DarkWave's theory of the six really important weeks. But anyway, it's awesome you found an approach that allowed you to really perform well on race day!

AceHarris: I definitely think cool weather could be a factor in helping you feel fresh. I think the source box wants you to link to an image URL hosted elsewhere. So upload a photo to dropbox or google images. I was hoping the baby would be born on 11/11- my birthday.

Commander: The zebra coat was paired with zebra pants. I could not be missed by the runners who I was cheering for!

Darkwave: I should come to your neighborhood at some point so I can do that 36K climb! Although given the elevation of the Custis, that might not be TOO far off.  I ended up not getting to Richmond until 8:45, at which point we drove straight to mile 14.5. I just commented on your blog. Strong race!

Seattle: That's a crapload of running.

Pepper: Ouch- Falling during running always sucks. Glad you are okay. Your 16-miler looks strong. I love it when there's perfect weather for a long run!

Arvind: It was great to see you out there! All things considered, I think you hung on pretty well. Hitting the wall at 24 is much later than most people hit it, and as a result you were pretty close to your goal. Is that a PR for you?

Ilana: It's great to hear that you are healing. I know it's been a really long road, but you are getting there. Can you do anything about the Osteopenia at this point?

- - - - - -

I'm pretty boring as I have not run since the marathon. Letting the Achilles get to 100% before I do, but it shouldn't be much longer. They are responding well to the rest + daily strengthening exercises. I made a rookie mistake yesterday by pool running too hard. I have a Turkey Trot 5K coming up and I wanted to really get my heart rate up, so I thought hard pool intervals would be a good idea. Turns out that hard pool intervals DO work the legs quite a bit, and my legs (particularly high hamstrings) were not ready for that. Swam a full lap of butterfly which made me feel good about my fitness. But I'm back to resting today and tomorrow. Maybe the pool again (but easier) on Wednesday.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

K77 - sorry to hear...  Luckily, you've got plenty of time for more babies and more PRs

E78 - Happy B'day!  I assume you're 11/11/78?  (I've got 17yrs and 1 day on you...)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes and congratulations.  I'm pretty happy with the way Richmond turned out, as it gives me a BQ-5 for 2019.  It's also interesting because it's the first time I've gone under 3:20 without following my usual training plan, Hansons Advanced.  I've been putting in miles this year, with just under a 50 mpw average, but most of it's been at an easy pace of between 8:00-8:30, and distances have been whatever I feel like doing that day.  I've skipped any speedwork and only done tempo runs on the rare days I have to run on the treadmill.  I've done a bunch of races this year (2 10-milers, 6 halfs, and 5 fulls), but several of those were done with friends/family and not really at race-pace.  I tried to go sub-3:20 at Chicago this year, but I don't do well in the heat and struggled to the finish in 3:32.  Richmond had better temps and I was able to hit 3:18.  It's very interesting how much fitness I maintained from last year just running mostly base miles this year.  Has anyone else had this experience?

Did you notice a cheering zebra at 14.5 and 23.2?

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave's theory of the six really important weeks - *desire to know more intensifies*

E11 - You're the kind of spectator I like seeing in a race; someone who really stands out (also, happy belated b-day!). For example: There is a guy at the OKC Memorial who always sets up on the sidewalk by a park just after 10k. He brings out a small but fancy table and chair, sometimes has a small folding room divider, and sits reading a paper while wearing a dressing gown. Not much cheering from what I've seen, but acts like there just happens to be a marathon going through his living room.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Arvind Balaraman

What do you mean by cross training? Strength and mobility is a lot different than aerobic stuff.

This was my cross training schedule

Mon Bootcamp 45 min

Tue Spinning 45 min

Wed  Strength training 30 min

Thu Core work 30 min

Friday bootcamp 45 min

I did these in addition to the following

Mon 5-10 miles easy

Tue Hill repeats

Wed Easy 5

Thu MP run 5-14 miles

Sat Long Run 12-22 miles

Sun 10 miles trail run easy

Arvind Balaraman

I was mentioning about you to runner jones

Arvind Balaraman

Arvind: It was great to see you out there! All things considered, I think you hung on pretty well. Hitting the wall at 24 is much later than most people hit it, and as a result you were pretty close to your goal. Is that a PR for you?

Yes this is a 40 min PR for me Smile

flyrunnr

Yes this is a 40 min PR for me Smile

Wow. You were definitely pretty far away from familiar territory out there, nice job!  

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Arvind pointed you out as we passed.  I heard you call his name the first time, but I think we'd separated by the time we passed you at 23.2.  But thanks for coming out to cheer on us random strangers!  

AceHarris

Headed to the hospital. Going to try and meet this little girl soon!!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Hope it goes well and congratulations!!

Pesto

KK - sorry about that, that must be really tough. As rovatti pointed out, on the bright side you're still very young.

ace - good luck!! hope all goes well

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Arvind Balaraman

Hearty congratulations

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Wahoo!! *insert many dancing pink elephants here*

Congratulations, and I hope mother and baby are doing great!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4