3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

(back from Kansas)

RLK - you will not be surprised to hear that I support a conservative strategy for the marathon.  You have plenty of distance in a marathon to make up for a slow start, but you can't recover from even a little bit too fast.

As for two weeks out, I always go with either 16 progressive, or a race of 5k-10k in distance.

Safety, running, pepper spray.  I am really NOT a fan of carrying pepper spray or similar.  Have you ever tried to use that stuff?  It takes more coordination and time to use than you think it does.  If you are going to carry it, I'd practice using it first.   Like actually spray a few bushes or something.

I don't like running with mace or pepper spray because I don't think it measurably improves safety, and because I do think that it provides a false sense of security that results in questionable decisions.  If you're not comfortable running somewhere without pepper spray, you shouldn't be running there anyway, is my take.

I don't run with a cell phone because in my area, I think it increases my risk.  I think my chances of being mugged for my cell phone vastly outweigh my chances of needing to use it for my own safety, and I run in an area where I'm rarely too far from a 24 hour convenience store or similar.

Thinking about it - what are the situations in which you're going to need a cell phone?  It's not going to help if someone attacks you - you won't have time to pull it out and dial 911.  And if they kidnap you, they'll almost certainly take your cell phone away first.

(I can see carrying a phone if you run in an isolated area, and you're worried about tripping, breaking something, and being several miles or more from civilization.  A cell phone could be a lifesaver in that situation.  And if that's where you run, you're probably not worried about getting mugged anyway).

I did carry a GPS tracking device in the past - the thought was that if I didn't come home, it would help people retrace my last steps.    I used a device made by Garmin - it was slightly smaller than my inhaler and fit nicely in the pocket of my running shorts.   My boyfriend could track me live on his cell phone when I was carrying it with eerie accuracy.

Unfortunately, Garmin stopped supporting the device I used.  I've been looking for a replacement - this looks like my best option, but there's a waiting list.

Ultimately, I think the single best things we can do for safety are a) to be somewhat smart about the routes we run and b) to not run with headphones.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

And then there's Baltimore where a route through the bad neighborhood is where one actually gets encouraged from people on the street versus the patrolled and well-lit waterfront prominade where everybody runs to be 'safe' and one can get pushed into the harbor.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

KK - there was a poster on MRT about 10y ago ("Mir", if I recall...), who was the victim of a serious sexual assault, and there was a subsequent thread on precautions, weapons, etc - lots of different opinions.   Personally, I don't think carrying a weapon (or even spray), makes sense, but I would be cautious about routes/time of day/running alone, etc

Her RR from her BQ marathon after the assault is here: http://www.readmuchrunfar.com/2009/04/

(It's the third one down).

If you followed along her story, it is the singularly best RR from the old RWOL MRT forums.

Katia ~ Stay safe. I think awareness is best tool.

JimE ~ XC and track. Hope your knee feels better soon.

rlk ~ Almost everyone I know, including myself, is a little behind what calculators estimate. 3:17:30 (btw, take a look at Shalane's avg pace at NYC (http://www.bowermantc.com/btc-news/2017/11/5/a-new-champion-in-new-york)

Enjoyable XC race this am. For some reason this race doesn't draw any competition, so I was 9th OA (of 450ish)-- everyone who beat me was a teenager, except one 22 y/o. Terrific XC course: no single track, lots of turn/hills/ruts, some thick grass, some wet dirt (not quite mud). I ran a minute faster than previous, but that was a week after I ran 1:25 HM ... so I'm either in awesome shape or an all-out HM takes a lot out of you. Hmm ...

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

It saddens me that personal safety is one more thing a runner has to worry about going out the door, but that's the world we live in.  As a male, it's never been a huge worry for me, but I have three daughters, one of whom is a high school cross country runner, and I'm anxious every time she heads out to train.  A local running website lists any recent incidents on the paths in our region, and it's a reminder that both men and women get attacked (although men usually only get robbed, and much less frequently).  Stay safe out there, everyone!

Ultimately, I think the single best things we can do for safety are a) to be somewhat smart about the routes we run and b) to not run with headphones.

That's such good advice, and it really amazes me how many people ignore it.  I've startled many a runner on the local paths just passing them because they didn't hear me coming due to their headphones.  I think listening to music also tends to mentally distract some people; I once witnessed a runner with headphones crossing a street right in front of an oncoming car.  She didn't appear to glance around at all before entering the intersection, and narrowly avoided getting struck by a car.  I'm not sure why she didn't look before she crossed, but I think it might've been the music distracting her.  I'll almost always listen to music on the treadmill (too boring otherwise), but never when running outside.

Dad4JCZ - congratulations!

AceHarris

Hey guys. Tried again to post a pic a couple times, but i'm incapable for some reason. I placed some pics in my google drive and copied the link to RA photo thing. Anyways, she's really cute and looks like she could go for a sub 3:20 one day. The other kiddos are doing great with her so far. (I decided to link my "blog" which has a pic if you're interested. http://tnrun.blogspot.com/2017/11/new-running-buddy.html)

In regards to running safety, I agree that running smart and using common sense is about as helpful as anything else. The only time I've contemplated carrying pepper spray was when running at my parents. It's a small mountain town and people's dogs run free on these back country road. I've had some impromptu fartlek runs from all kinds of dogs.

RLK: I like your reply to the guy suggesting you carry pepper spray. You should've given him a quick jab to the gut before you said, "Do you carry pepper spray?"  The conservative approach sounds better to me, but what do I know.

Somehow I only missed one run this week. It was a hill workout. I get "cabin fever" pretty quickly, so even though it's nice to be home, I get antsy and have to do something, so my runs each day are helpful. My week is below.

Jim: I'm having to ITB issues as well. Only on the right. Can't imaging both sides at once. It bothers me way more after my runs than during. Hurts from hip to the knee, worse at the knee. Been enough to take Aleve on a couple days, which I usually avoid. Foam rolling helps as well.

Running a Thanksgiving 5k. If all goes well, aiming for a finish time in the 17s. It'll take a good day, but I think I can do it. The race draws a pretty competitive crowd, so that should aid going for a new PR.

M: 6 easy at lunch (8:07)

T: Had a baby

W: Hung out with said baby

T: 7.3 - 2 up, 2x10:00 tempo w/ 2:00 rest, 2 down - First 10:00 at 6:20 pace, second 10:00 at 6:15 pace. Was hoping to go faster on the second one, but was still digesting some lunch that was causing some cramps.

F: 5 easy (8:03)

S:12 easy with pickup on the last couple miles (avg 7:54, last 4 - 7:41, 7:33, 7:33, 6:41)

S: scheduled 5-6 easy.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

A 3:20 Slowpoke

Congrats to Northern Arizona University and Coach Mike Smith.  Back to back NCAA Division 1 men’s X Country champs!

Coach Smith runs our Tuesday night track workouts and is amazingly supportive and enthusiastic.  So great seeing such a great coach so involved with the local non elite runners.  Big kudos!

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Ace's Baby:

Since I have the picture-posting prowess!

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

That is a cute baby!

My week: (paces still slow, but feeling better...)

• M: 13 easy
                  • T: 9 with intervals (1600, 1200, 800,3 x300)
                  • W: 7 easy
                  • Th: 9 with tempo in Central Park 5@6:40
                  • F: urd
                  • S: 18 easy
                  • S: 10 easy

total = 66

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think listening to music also tends to mentally distract some people;

I agree.  People will say "well, I keep it turned down low, or I only use one headphone, so I can hear."  The danger of headphones is not just the lack of hearing, but the distraction.  From a safety standpoint, I'd prefer to run with earplugs over headphones.    We disassociate when we run with music, which is why it makes it easier to run, and also why it is more dangerous.

Very nice tempo, Rovatti!

Baby is adorable, Ace  (E78 - thanks for the assist).  Good luck with the Turkey Trot.  17Tight lippedx would be just wow.

Dad - congrats on the excellent placing.

I just checked - no results for Smax's race yet.

My week: 41 miles, 10 "miles" pool-running, and other stuff.
                    M: 6 "miles" pool-running, upper body weights/core.
                    T: 11 miles, including 6x800 in 3:05, 3:00, 3:01, 2:58, 2:56, 2:48 (controlled for the first 5, hammered the last).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                    W: 5 miles easy to yoga (9:31), yoga, then 4 miles easy home (8:58) plus drills, strides.
                    Th: 4 "miles" pool-running, then traveled to Kansas.  Did a bit of upper body weights/core in Kansas hotel gym.
                    F: 11 miles, including 2x2 miles at goal half-marathon pace (targeting 6:30), with quarter mile recovery.  Ran 13:08 (6:28/6:38) and 12:51 (6:34/6:17).  This was an even effort workout - the uneven splits were due to the wind.     Traveled back to DC.
                    Sa: 10  very easy (8:58) followed by upper body weights/core.
                    Su: URD.  Woke up exhausted with a scratchy throat (it's been an awful stressful week, and I think it finally caught up with me).  Decided I'd get more benefit from total rest than from mileage, especially since I'm between cycles and have a Turkey Trot on Thursday.  So stayed home and worked on our new built-in bookshelves instead.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Good job Mrs Ace! (Thanks for posting E78)

Pretty solid week for a new Dad too.

Also some good workouts/weeks from Rovatti and DkW.

My week:

M) 11 w/ 3x2 tempo (6:27, 1.5% TM) w/ 3 min recoveries

Tu) 7.25 easy

W) 7.25 easy

Th) 5 w/ 9 hill sprints

F) 4.5 easy

Sa) 9 w/ 5K XC

Su) 16 @ 8:16 on rolling hills (and lots of wind)

Total: 60

Congrats to Northern Arizona University and Coach Mike Smith.  Back to back NCAA Division 1 men’s X Country champs!

Coach Smith runs our Tuesday night track workouts and is amazingly supportive and enthusiastic.  So great seeing such a great coach so involved with the local non elite runners.  Big kudos!

Also, this is good stuff; both parts.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Ace - Congratulations on a healthy new baby runner!  

Elizabeth - Nice assist on the pic posting!  You got skillz!  

Pesto

All caught up! A bit late with some of the comments, but still, here it goes.

e78 - that's a very patriotic photo Smile

KK - I agree with that carefully choosing the routes is very important when it comes to safety. Even if you run by yourself, it's good to do it in areas (and hours) where there is a good number of other runners. Here in Vienna, I have not heard of any attacks on women (or men) while running, and I see A LOT of women running by themselves, sometimes at 9 pm or later, in routes that could be potentially dangerous (by the river, under bridges, dark). It really surprised me at first and I do wonder if we'll start hearing more about these types of attacks here.

CK - good job on the half! Hope you're feeling better. It was hard to see you putting such a great cycle and then struggling with injury/health at the end. I'm looking forward to seeing you crush it in the next cycle (plans for a spring marathon?)!

Jim - that sucks about the ITB so close to CIM. Here's to hoping you get to the starting line healthy!

rlk - I tend to be on the conservative side of things in terms of risk, so I think I'd go with number 2. Jim's input on the specificity of CIM seems very useful.

ilana - seeing you're getting better makes me happy. Enjoy the (fake) snow!

Dad - congrats on the top 10 OA finish and the AG win!

ace - congrats again! Lovely little kid you have there! And nice looking week, especially the Tue and Wed activities Smile

max - definitely agree with that: friends >> running, every time

Great weeks from rovatti, Dad and DkW (even with the total rest Sunday)!

My week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                            Tue 8.9 7:24 1:06 Spontaneous progression with last 2 miles at T pace strava
                            Wed 9.0 8:22 1:15 Lunch Run strava
                            Fri 12.6 7:36 1:35 MLR with 4x1k I. Flying in the new shoes! strava
                            Sun 19.3 7:35 2:26 Went out for a long run and ended up pacing D for a 1:30 HM and the last km with A. Result: 12 miles at MPish strava
                              49.8 7:42 6:23

I had a very good week finally, after a couple of failed weekends. About 50 miles in only 4 runs, with quite a bit of quality in there. I also got two new pairs of shoes: Ghost 10 and adidas adios. I tried the adios on Friday and just could not keep the pace above 8 mpm. I did 4x1k after a 10k "warm up" and felt great (3:38-35-36-28). This is my first pair of "faster" shoes since I would mostly use wave riders for most of the racing before, so I can't believe how light they feel. On the other hand, I do feel the road a lot more in them. So, question: has anybody had any experience running marathons in them? And HM? Especially asking to taller / heavier men (size probably has an impact on how much the shoes can handle), but happy to hear any insights.

On Sunday, there was a HM close to home, so I thought I'd go do a LR, try the new ghost shoes and use the race to not run alone (it's not a very formal affair). Was planning on 21-26 km depending on how I was feeling, keeping a 8 mpm pace when running with the racers. Ended up running into a RB from the club and he was aiming at a sub-1:30 HM, so I said I'd pace him. Ran about 17 kms with him at a must faster pace than I wanted (he faded a bit at the end, but still managed a PR with 1:30:23!). After crossing the line I went back to run the last km with another guy form the club who went under 1:40. So, it ended up being a much longer and faster than expected LR, but a lot of fun nevertheless. The shoes held up very well by the way.

OK, that's enough. Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Arvind Balaraman

My first week of recovery after the Richmond full

Ran HollySprings Half  on Sat. Did not want to push so ended up at 1:36:27. 8th in Age group

Day Miles Pace Description
                              Mon     Rest
                              Tue 6.1 8:28 Treadmill running
                              Wed     Foam Rolling 20 min
                                    Spin Class 20 min
                                4.3 10:30 Hill repeats
                              Thu     Core workout 30 min
                                7 8:13 Easy 7
                              Fri     Foam Rolling 15 min
                                    Strength Training 30 min
                              Sat 13.1 7:28 Hollysprings Half. Finished in 1:36:27
                              Sun     Foam Rolling 15 min
                              Sun 1:26 7:48 Trail running with Local Group
                              Total 41.56    
                              CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

*Snip* Safety, running, pepper spray.  Have you ever tried to use that stuff?  It takes more coordination and time to use than you think it does.  If you are going to carry it, I'd practice using it first.   Like actually spray a few bushes or something.

Any defensive tool should be practiced with. Pepper spray + wind in your face = bad day, from what I've heard.

I don't like running with mace or pepper spray because I don't think it measurably improves safety, and because I do think that it provides a false sense of security that results in questionable decisions.  If you're not comfortable running somewhere without pepper spray, you shouldn't be running there anyway, is my take.

I agree with the second sentence, but not the first. Such tools do not ward off attacks, they are not talismans. They increase ones ability to defend oneself.  The point of carrying a defensive tool isn't to go places one shouldn't, but rather to increase defensive options if something bad happens in a regular, should-be-safe place.

Alternate example: I wear my seat belt every single time I get in the car. It's not so I can drive on dangerous roads, or because I'm in any way expecting to get in a wreck. It's something I can use to help keep me safe in case someone else does something stupid that puts me at risk of getting hurt.

Thinking about it - what are the situations in which you're going to need a cell phone?  It's not going to help if someone attacks you - you won't have time to pull it out and dial 911.  And if they kidnap you, they'll almost certainly take your cell phone away first.

Needing to call help for someone else? Someone collapsed during a group training run this past summer (dehydration/heat stroke, I think), and those with him were able to call for an ambulance. Kidnapping? If that were to happen I'm certain they would take a phone, but phones aren't defensive tools at all. The big thing there, though, is to NEVER go to a secondary location. 

(I can see carrying a phone if you run in an isolated area, and you're worried about tripping, breaking something, and being several miles or more from civilization.  A cell phone could be a lifesaver in that situation.  And if that's where you run, you're probably not worried about getting mugged anyway).

This is me. I should carry my phone for this reason as I'm frequently a mile or so from the nearest house, but I don't. The thing is too big to fit into pockets, and I couldn't stand one of those armband things... Yeah, yeah, excuses, excuses. 

I did carry a GPS tracking device in the past - the thought was that if I didn't come home, it would help people retrace my last steps.    I used a device made by Garmin - it was slightly smaller than my inhaler and fit nicely in the pocket of my running shorts.   My boyfriend could track me live on his cell phone when I was carrying it with eerie accuracy.

That thing looks really nifty, and the data plan isn't too expensive. It doesn't look like it broadcasts automatically at any given interval (likely contributing to the long battery life), but I do like that it can be located at will. I have previously looked at a SPOT tracker, but the Ping could be a better alternative for my needs (when it's finally in stock).

*snip*

I agree completely. Situational awareness and using what's between the ears are most important. 

Dad - Way to go on the XC race! Nice week, too.

Ace - Cute kiddo! I like the name. I'm sure she'll be out kicking you soon. Going for a 17Tight lippedx 5k? Good luck! Your post-baby week is better than anything I've done in about 2 months!

Rovatti - Good week.

Pesto - I am feeling better, thank. Very nearly over my respiratory systems. Getting sick just before the race actually helped my perspective about the race, I think. Had I been building back up and getting stronger it would have been mentally tougher to be running that slowly. As it was, the antibiotics + recovering from the illness put proper performance so far out of question that it wasn't even something to think about. Hopefully that makes sense; it sounded better in my head than it looks typed out.
                                Very good week on just 4x runs.

I had fun at the Route 66 HM yesterday. Absolutely PERFECT weather for a race (~40*, just a hint of wind). I got to see several running buddies and local Strava-ites I hadn't seen in a while. I tried kicking things up a notch after mile 10 like I did in my HM last month, but I couldn't hold the new pace I wanted for even a mile. Oh, well. I did get to high five a ton of people along the course and just enjoy the run in general.

ETA: I need to stop this whole "don't run for a week or more then do a hilly HM" thing. It leads to sore legs.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4