3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

KaiG

dwave: Best wishes for the cat. I know having a sick cat can be tough, from my own experience with our cat. She had surgery twice -- once getting spayed, and she recovered just fine. Then, a year or so ago, she had a teeth cleaning (I guess that's considered surgery for a cat), and she had a hard time recovering from the anesthesia, throwing up and not eating for days, despite some return visits to the vet who was basically as helpless as we were. She did fully recover in the end, though.

Glad to see more familiar (from me lurking in the RWOL 3:20 thread) names show up here Wink

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Jim's Kat (as opposed to Isabella The Cat):  Now that you've found us we probably should move again.

PHoffer: Yes, I kind of remember sugar cubes.  And maybe apples.  All the usual marathon food you see here in Merkuh.

DWave: Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

Daf:  (Daf???) I love those shoes in your photo.  Ran my Tunnel pr in them.

McB: Freriks just did it one way.  He's not tough like us.

Something less than 6 days before I start my tour of south-east Utah.  Drop boxes are packed and I'll start driving on Monday.

Galen is in good position

eta:  G MF Rupp!!

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

2:09:18 FTW   Go Galen.   Read all about it on Let's Run

BTW new kids.. The old folks will yell to get off their yard. Tell them to go fuck themselves

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Hey to dls and kai

biking badboy - join us!

my week:  (week #2 of cross training)

• M: 90 min elliptical
            • T: 90 min elliptical + weights
            • W: peleton spin class (Note to Ilana - 3rd place out of 55)
            • Th: rd
            • F: 90 min elliptical
            • S: 90 min elliptical 
            • S: 90 min elliptical

My hip irritation is lingering, and now I'm starting to think the elliptical (which doesn't hurt) is somehow prolonging it...but I hate to stop and give up my fitness.  Maybe I'll take a cortisone shot this week.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

BikingBad:  Hi!  Imagine one of those little RWOL waving emoticons right here.  I can protect my lawn as well as any other geezer.

Rovatti: Getting old sucks.  My HHT has been vaguely there for the past few weeks after being solidly gone for 18 months.  Could be worse though.  Hmm... About to make a depressing reference to current events but took it out...

Ok, since this is the racing forum and I have a race in about 5 days, here's the relevant info: https://pointlenana.wordpress.com/2017/10/09/moab-240-tracking/   It's a 240 meter sprint I think.

Starts Friday morning, ends (for me) Monday.  Or maybe Tuesday.  Well, DW and I did a 9 mile run today (tuckered me out) and if I can keep up today's blazing 10 min/mile pace for the race, I'll finish in just 40 hours.  I'll probably fade though so call it 50 hours.  Which might be a WR for this distance.

I get in the car in the morning and I'll be phone-based with sketchy service for the next 10 days.  I hope that everyone who is racing between now and when I return sets a WR.  In honor of Brew, I'm going to try to eat all my road-trip meals at brewpubs.

https://pointlenana.wordpress.com/2017/10/09/moab-240-tracking/   

Starts Friday morning, ends (for me) Monday.  Or maybe Tuesday. 

cool music.

So I guess you can't use all those miles for the same weekly....

good luck.

you're a kook.

Pesto

welcome rlk, dls and CD! Glad to see you've found us!

OMR - thanks for going back to your log and checking it! 16 weeks seems almost like a new cycle, without any breaks, it sounds exhausting. Also, very impressive keeping that ridiculous mileage for over 30 weeks straight. Given my situation, I don't think I can do that, neither keep such high mileage nor go for so long.

DkW - that sounds like quite a stressful trip, but it seems like you're both almost there. So, here's to a healthy kitty. And that's crazy about how they found the stone, good for you for persisting. It's scary to think what'd have happened otherwise.

CK - glad the hip is doing better! Hope things feel normal during the run.

max - that schedule is crazy. I gather you'll be sleeping less than 10 hours during those 3 nights?

rovatti - sorry to hear about the hip. Maybe trying swimming a few times a week, or pool-running, could help?

I had a decent week which is worth posting after only 15 miles during the post Berlin week:

Monday, Oct 02, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 08, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                  Mon 5.7 8:15 0:46 Lunch Run strava
                  Tue 3.8 7:28 0:28 7x400 with the club in the rain strava
                  Thu 7.5 8:18 1:02 Lunch Run strava
                  Fri 7.6 8:37 1:05 Lunch Run strava
                  Sun 13.8 7:58 1:50 MLR with 2 x 3k T strava
                    38.4 8:08 5:12

I received the Pfitz book on the mail on Firday and have been looking into it. It seems very interesting, so I'm leaning towards a Pfitz plan. Unlike Daniels, the workouts during the week seem doable during lunch break (rarely go over 1.5 hrs), so it seems feasible given that I won't be able to run much outside of work hours (other than, hopefully, a LR on the weekend). Also, it'll be fun to try something new. I think I'll go with the 18 week plan and maybe cut it to 16 weeks.

In terms of mileage, I optimistically think I could log around 60 mpw (peak). So I'm leaning towards taking the 55/18 plan and potentially either add one more weekly run (it prescribes 5 runs a week) or extend some of the already existing runs. Not sure if it'll be enough for a PR, but hopefully the cycle will be as enjoyable as possible.

Have a great week everyone! And good luck with the last week of taper to the racers! Especially, max and ace (and potentially DkW).

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Arvind Balaraman

Week 13

Ran my 10th half of the year. Race 13.1 Raleigh. 16th Overall and Age group 1. Slowing inching towards the sub 1:30 goal. I have bettered my time from all the last years races by at least 2 min.

Day Miles Pace Description
                    Mon 8.32 7:59 Easy 8
                          Foam Rolling 20 min
                          Bootcamp 45 min
                    Tue     Foam Rolling 20 min
                          Spinning class 45 min
                      6.22 8.57 Hill repeats
                    Wed     Foam Rolling 20 min
                          Strength Training 30 min
                      16.01 8:18 Week 13 LSD
                    Thu     Foam Rolling 20 min
                          Core workout 30 min
                      5 8:36 Easy 5 on the treadmill
                    Fri     Foam rolling 10 min
                      1 8:30 Warm up
                          Strength Training 30 min
                          Tabata spinning 13 min
                    Sat 13.1 7:07 Race 13.1 Raleigh, 16 OA, AG 1
                    Sun     Foam Rolling 15 min
                      11 8:38 Trail running with group
                    Total 60.65    
                    Arvind Balaraman

I have a fundamental question.

Does running on empty stomach, increases one's ability to burn fat as opposed to glycogen?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Chicago - Go Rupp! The semi-local semi-pro ran 2:41 and notched herself an Olympic qualifying time.

DWave - I hope the kitty is doing better. Any thoughts as to whether or not you'll race?

Max - 240 meters? You know you have to go out at full speed on those, right? No opportunity to make up for lost time if you start too slowly.

Pesto - I've read through the Pfitz book at least once, and while I haven't followed one of the programs (yet) I have based some workouts off of the book.

Arvind - Nice week.
                        I don't know that there has been any real research done on fasted running. A person doing a truely easy run should be burning mostly fat simply because they're well within their aerobic zone. As an experiment of one, I've been doing nearly all of my runs fasted for at least a year. Largely this is just because I don't want to get up even earlier just to make breakfast and then wait for it to settle. I've done everything from faster-than-5k pace intervals to 60-minute near HM efforts, to 18-milers without fueling before or during (including no sports drinks) without issue. I have carried a gel with me on the 16+ mile long runs but have never even thought about taking it once I was out there. Even with this, though, I'm absolutely going to fuel before/during races.

Me - I tried running Saturday, without much success. I drove to the local sports complex so I'd have my car nearby just in case my hip acted up. I walked around the baseball fields to loosen things up and scout for the skunks that occasionally show up there. The coast was clear and my hip felt ok, so I started an easy run. My hip felt mostly ok, but there was a little twinge. Just over 1 lap later I see a group of skunks heading towards me. There wasn't enough room for me to run around there without risk of getting sprayed, so I backed off and decided to walk to the track. I get to the track and it's locked - it's never been locked before. At this point I'm just frustrated so I head back to the car and go home. Grand total: .49 miles at about 8:45 pace. I didn't even bother saving it on my watch. No running since, either.

While the hip does feel better (there is some soreness if I push a certain spot it's the same on the non-problem hip, oddly enough) I'm certain my goals for this fall have gone out the window. The next week+ was always going to be low on mileage due to the hunting trip, but with the past week that's just too much lost fitness. If I can, I'll still hobby jog my upcoming races just because - and because I've already paid for them. I'll likely try scheduling a trip to the sports doc for when I get back just as a cautionary measure.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Speed Surplus

Wow @ Rupp's last 5 miles. Can't see how anyone wouldn't think he's capable of much more than 2:09 given his negative split there.

Max: Good luck, be safe!

My week:

I don't know why the heart rate can be so off sometimes. I made sure the watch was tight on Sunday, but there's no way my AHR was 13 points higher for a flatter, cooler run just 4 miles longer than Friday's. Effort level was comparable, so I'm thinking my true AHR for Sunday was 145-150.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
                          Tue 7.1 8:24 Nice day for it 152 477 strava
                          Wed 4.1 8:51 Treadmill slog 139 0 strava
                          Thu 4.5 8:28 Spectacular 143 217 strava
                          Fri 7.1 8:25 Experimenting with new route. Too many lights. 144 345 strava
                          Sun 11.0 8:07 Skeptical of heart rate again. 157 303 strava
                            33.8 8:23

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Speed Surplus

Keen, I must have missed it. What's going on with your hip?

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen, I must have missed it. What's going on with your hip?

Long story short-ish: Two Sundays ago I ran a 20, last half at marathon effort. Felt great afterward. Sat on the ground just to finish a water bottle before walking back to the house. MISTAKE. No pop, strain, or anything else but I could barely walk after getting up. Hobbled around for 2 days, it's been feeling better since, and I've been walking normally for several days now. Haven't tried to run other than what I posted about earlier, though I may try some easy miles tomorrow morning.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - I hope the kitty is doing better. Any thoughts as to whether or not you'll race?

Quick drop by (sorry - between work and kitty, no time).  Kitty seems to be doing OK.  I brought her home Sunday afternoon.  She then would not eat last night or this morning, so I took her back in.  Where she proceeded to make a liar out of me by eating in front of the vet....

I'm tentatively on for Columbus.  Have bib, hotel, plane reservations.  I probably won't know for sure until Thursday.

Very sorry about your hip - running is a cruel sport.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.