3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

fb-guy

Hey guys,

Am I getting this right. RWOL nuked the forums and everybody moved here? I was worried that I was going to lose track of everyone.

But you're all here. Right?

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

KK - Welcome!

Max - You did 3? 3 hours, 3 trails, 3 marathons? You need to specify. I know nothing about shooting trap. Lost animals shouldn't be a thing, muzzleloader or not.

RLK - Glad you got your track workout in. I'm as clueless as Brew. Who dat?

FB-guy - I don't know that we're all here, but a lot of us are. The Other Place tried pushing people to groups they set up on the book of faces, but a lot of us did wind up here.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

fb- hello! yes, nuked. we have landed on the moon (aka here) instead. i was in florence for a few days last month -  thought of you!

brew / c keen-  y'all are killing me. do you watch the olympics? Smile

i will say that last night's workout, "michigan miles", went super well and we were all very pumped up from having our guest. i will tell the full story later. anyway, the workout is alternating road LT miles with track intervals and virtually no rest (just the 10sec jog between the track and where we do the road part) - so i'd call it continuous. it went:

1600 track @10k: 6:28 (a little fast)
        Mile road @LT: 6:52 (a little slow)
        1200 track @5k: 4:43 (same pace as the 1600, whoops)
        Mile road @LT: 6:40 
        800 track @3k: 3:01 
        Mile road @LT: 6:38 
        400 @?: 78 (fastest 400 i've run since HS? easy to do with *special guest* cheering and yelling for you!)

that's my fastest iteration of this workout yet, from 4 season with my team. perhaps it bodes well for this sunday's half marathon - i hope so. taking the rest of the week very easy.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RLK - I tried catching some of the Olympics, but I cut the TV cord many years ago. I was only able to watch snippits at work. Looking forward to reading the story later. Also: awesome workout.
          And that semi-local semi-pro I mentioned a while back is from Tulsa, ~110 miles or so down the interstate. I talked to her a bit after a HM in April, where she had just won the 10k. And she did it while running a pace faster than anyone ran the 5k.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

rlk ~ Great pic! Did she teach you hurdling technique? Did you show her where the lane markers are? (Too soon?) Seriously, did she run w/ y'all?

FB? Zab? What year is this?

I am so done with humidity.

Jim E

Yay FB! I was wondering if you would find us.

rlk - Cool on the guest. How was the air? We canceled yesterday, but ours was probably a lot worse than at Kezar. Those poor people in Santa Rosa...

My week. Not many miles. The XC race was tough but I did OK.

When What Miles/pace
              Mon Oct 02, 04:06 Recovery 4.57@10:06
              Tue Oct 03, 04:15 Easy 7.53@9:36
              Tue Oct 03, 19:02 Track, 8 x 400 3.2 inc w/u, c/d
              Thu Oct 05, 03:40 Easy 10.45@8:57
              Thu Oct 05, 18:24 Spin, 30 minutes 0.00@--
              Fri Oct 06, 03:48 Easy 9.19@9:05
              Sat Oct 07, 09:10 XC Warmup 1.36@8:58
              Sat Oct 07, 09:44 XC Race, WIllow Hill 3.06@7:24
              Sun Oct 08, 06:29 Long 20.27@8:40
              Total miles: 59.7
              fb-guy

Very happy to see everyone!

Running about 4 a day, but faster. Weird. 10K is way out of sync with the fact that I can't even finished a marathon. Lived though hills, heat and fast cars when we first got here, but I found a safer, less scary place to run and fall is here. So all is good, at least until winter.

rlk and everyone else -- if you are here, let us know. We're up for a glass of wine or whatever.

Jim -- hope you are doing well; though "wondering if I would find you" sounds like I was going to fail an IQ test. :-)

Fun stuff; good to see y'all.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Running Problem

Problem Child

Air Quality for California and Nevada. You folks stay inside unless fully necessary. Hopefully the link works. I think the work filter is blocking it or they're overwhelmed. It was in the red.

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&mapcenter=0&cityid=121

RLK I just assumed she was a trainer for #TeamMocko and you were all excited to meet her.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

For those who don't remember things.

Her friend likes hiking. I know a guy who tried to axe murder me on a hike one time. I had to run away but he kept chasing me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Thanks for the helper! I recognize the name, but certainly didn't the face. Reading that short bio makes me feel kinda old.

RLK - I think it's pretty awesome that you had a workout near (with?) an actual, factual Olympian.

I'll likely be pretty absent for the next 1.5 weeks (not that I've been doing any running, anyway), as I'm leaving for a freezer-filling expedition to NW-ish Colorado. Perhaps if I get REALLY lost I'll say "hi" to Ilana.

Happy running to all in the mean time!

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

fornobravo - benvenuto!  Sounds like you're feeling better?

kk - Hey!

rlk - you might be interested to know that they FINALLY closed down the E6th street track for repairs (at least 1 year) - it was in GRIM CONDITION - runners were (sort of) joking about needing trail shoes to negotiate the home stretch... lots of rats and water bugs also....  So we have no track to run on, despite our fancy zip codes   This year, we'll be running "track-like workouts" around the central park reservoir, but the surface (handpicked pebbles) and distances make everything a bit iffy.   ...but I don't care.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

so here's the story.

she has been posting on various social media platforms for a couple weeks that's she's doing things in SF. she lives in PDX, so this is odd. I had randomly commented on something she posted (i don't typically do this), and she responded to me! that was shocking - she has a ton of followers and gets a million comments on stuff all the time. so i took this as a golden opportunity, and said "hey, i race with a women's team here in SF, if you ever want us to show you around on a run, we'd be happy to!" and she responds "hey [my first name], that sounds awesome! when do you guys meet? i'm only here for another week" and i tell her our time/place and we chat a little more and she says she'll be there! my friend and i stand outside the track to show her in, and she walks up to us and hugs us and says a warm hello! i was scared she'd flake (i don't know why!), and then i had no idea what she would do ... like warm up with us then leave? so she comes in and we're a little early so there are only a few people, but she starts chatting with our coaches (one of whom is a pretty stoic guy but is very nerdy with running stuff - he was so excited to chat with her) and then our group starts, she warms up with us and is SO friendly and nice and fits right in. then we go to do drills and she continued jogging. theeeen she asks coach what our paces are and says "hey, maybe i'll jump in for an interval or two! you guys have got me excited about getting back to the track!" i'm in group 2 for the workout, but i see that she jumped in for interval #2 with group 1, and then... is still in! and we keep going, and she's still in! we all cheer for/encourage each other during the workout when we pass/get passed, and she is the loudest of 'em all. finally, my group and i get to the last interval of the workout (an "all out" 400), and she and the rest of group 1 have already finished, and they're clapping and screaming for us as we come in. it is a pretty epic workout, but her being there and joining in with us (!!) and being so enthusiastic really made it a more magical night. and then she stayed for super long cooldown (i had left to run back home) and apparently ended up getting dinner with some people. she also posted about it/videos all over her instagram story (@steeple_squigs - not regular post, but click the circle around her prof photo and you will see). i followed up the next day to thank her for coming out and tell her that she made our night, and she responds "that was amazing!! i am SO glad you reached out! what an incredible group. it was great to meet you guys and be inspired by your team. thank you so much for asking me to come!" she told us she speaks to high school teams often, but many of us (*raises hand*) are her age, so i'm telling myself she had fun running with ~40 other running-obsessed contemporaries.
                          anyway ... got home and was totally buzzed by the whole experience, could barely fall asleep. that was so much fun. Smile

brew- yes, i have been checking the AQI website every few hours for the past few days. (who needs the EPA?! oh wait.......)  last night was miraculously good, this morning was good, and now things are getting worse Sad part of jimtown appears to be in the "hazardous" category now. i ran this morning, but tomorrow will likely be a treadmill day.
                          PS you are taking this #teammocko thing too far Wink PPS he appears to have moved back to SF and has a real job again. pro runner life not for him?

dad - i have heard humidity gripes from my DC best friend / runner for awhile. ughhhhh. i am sorry. (at least it's not fire?)

rovatti- WOW. cannot believe it has taken this long. so they closed it - resurfacing? or just bc it is hazardous?
                          i have never worked out at riverbank track or at columbia's either (way too far from where i lived) but i know people do...
                          there is also a ~200m loop somewhere near the NW corner, but dirt and pebbles just like the rez. we used to do 800m reps on the oval around the great lawn - lots of dog leash encounters there.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Jim E

rlk - So YOU were the one who lassoed the special guest! Well done! Yeah, I'm constantly checking that air quality map too. No running for me today. I think this will be the deepest taper I've ever taken for a half-marathon.

rovatti - A year? They must have quite a bit of work to do. Cal Berkeley did theirs in between seasons, but it was in decent shape to begin with. The new track was the springiest thing I've run on, but it's settled down a bit now. The Kezar track where rlk runs took some time but that had been let go for a while too.

Jim E

rlk - So YOU were the one who lassoed the special guest! Well done! Yeah, I'm constantly checking that air quality map too. No running for me today. I think this will be the deepest taper I've ever taken for a half-marathon.

rovatti - A year? They must have quite a bit of work to do. Cal Berkeley did theirs in between seasons, but it was in decent shape to begin with. The new track was the springiest thing I've run on, but it's settled down a bit now. The Kezar track where rlk runs took some time but that had been let go for a while too. I ran that reservoir loop on one of my NYC visits, mainly because it featured in the movie Marathon Man. It was a mass of puddles at the time. Running intervals on it should be interesting. 

Pesto

hi kkFB and dad! Good to see y'all around here!

hi again rlk! I must admit I had no idea who dat was, but that's a pretty cool story!! It sounds like quite an evening too.

DkW, glad to see you are seriously planning on running this weekend. Not just because it'll be great to see what you are able of, but also because it probably means the kitty is in good shape now. Good luck for the weekend to both you and ace!

Good luck max with your crazy adventure.

Jim - great week, as usual!

Hope you're recovering well, rovatti and CK.

Has anyone seen TB (turtelboy) around? I wonder if he got his BQ on Sunday.

Me - we're leaving for Budapest once again tomorrow. I'll probably run the 10k race on the weekend of the marathon. It'll be tough to see the marathon in such a lovely city and not part take, but should be fun anyway. Given how I'm feeling right now, I'd be happy with a PR, and hopefully breaking 40.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)