Foot/knee biomechanical issues? (Read 1042 times)

JakeKnight

Im no good with photoshop or I would have dropped a better head on that pic...Ill get back to you with some exercises. I will have to search the web or scan some pictures.
    Yeah .... the, um, 95-year-old woman's head on the 14-year-old girl's body in a circa 1922 bathing suit really creeped me out. Tight lipped

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Zoom, correct me if im misspeak, but you have had right leg trouble for a long, long time. It will absolutely get better if you limit your mileage, ie dont overtrain. But if you want to continue to progress your distances and speed you have to work on strength anyway. Why not identify your weaknesses and attack them. isnt it cold up there in Michigan during the winter, what a great time of year to address your core strength. Oh by the way your hip rotators and just core muscles. Can anyone argue we runners dont need to work on those!
        Yeah .... the, um, 95-year-old woman's head on the 14-year-old girl's body in a circa 1922 bathing suit really creeped me out. Tight lipped
        JakeKnight I put up a better knee shot for your pleasure
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I emphasize, running does not put you at high risk for ACL tear...this type of anatomy does put you at risk for hip pain and foot/calf pain with repetative activities like running...as you already know! You have taken steps to correct for your pronation with shoes and you probably are a good candidate for orthotics. You should also put in some regular work on your hip rotator...external rotators heavily, as well as heavy on the abductors and some extra hip extensor work. A PT would do a better job at checking your mechanics than would an orthopod. if you can find a podiatrist with a special interest in runners, run with that, especially if he casts for orthotics him/herself.
          Ahh...that's just the sort of info. I was looking for. You know, I have a friend who is a PT, I should pick her brain a bit...though I don't know how much work she has done with runners. On the topic of my goofy hip, it mostly felt pretty good during today's 13 miler. A little sore for a few miles, but definitely better than it has been in recent weeks. Regular stretching seems to be helping and I think over the Winter months (when I likely won't be running more than 25 miles most weeks and throwing in some cross-training, instead) strengthening some of my support muscles will likely help head-off this issues in the future. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But if you want to continue to progress your distances and speed you have to work on strength anyway. Why not identify your weaknesses and attack them. isnt it cold up there in Michigan during the winter, what a great time of year to address your core strength. Oh by the way your hip rotators and just core muscles. Can anyone argue we runners dont need to work on those!
            Exactement! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

As for the aches and pains to start subsiding--after about a year of consistent running I noticed a big drop-off in the little minor injuries--especially the runners knee--then over the next 5 years they have continued to become less and less frequent and noticeable. It can definitely be a grind sometimes, but in the long run it's worth the effort, I think.
              Thank you for this, Mikey! You have inspired me!! I have been frustrated alot in the last couple of months with my numerous aches & pains which I've been benching myself with. Granted, some core strengthening (on the books for this winter) will really help me, but I'm in good enough shape overall that I feel I shouldn't be hurting this month. Overtraining isn't an issue lately, as I've hardly been able to run at all. But maybe I am looking a little too far in to my aches & pains & just need to realize that it is beginner running stuff & just deal with it. I have had some legit issues, like the multiple stress fractures early in the year, but the rest have been minor things. So thank you again for inspiring me to suck it up & run!! Big grin I think that was exactly the kick in the ass I needed!! Eryn
              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
              mikeymike

Eryn, I suppose I should make sure to attach all the standard disclaimers; YMMV, Listen to your Body, know the difference between a "hurt" and an "injury" etc, etc. And I'm not going to pretend that at some points I didn't just get lucky. I am surely lucky to have a body that is pretty resillient to injury and seems to be able to handle mileage no matter how much I hurl at it. I realize not everybody was born with this natural "talent" if you will. And I'm sure there are some people who really aren't built to run. But I think most people give up on running way too easily and they really miss out in the end. We all work with or bump into people at the schoolyard who say, "Oh, I can't run, it's bad for my knees," or some such easy out. I have to sort of chuckle and think back to all those nights on the couch with a bag of ice on each knee--and all those o'dark early mornings of hobbling through the first couple of miles until things loosened up. You can't argue with these people, so I usually just reply with something like, "Yeah, it's not for everyone." Mike

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But I think most people give up on running way too easily and they really miss out in the end. We all work with or bump into people at the schoolyard who say, "Oh, I can't run, it's bad for my knees," or some such easy out. I have to sort of chuckle and think back to all those nights on the couch with a bag of ice on each knee--and all those o'dark early mornings of hobbling through the first couple of miles until things loosened up. You can't argue with these people, so I usually just reply with something like, "Yeah, it's not for everyone." Mike
                  I think of all the times I was a naysayer--little did I know that a painful first mile or two doesn't mean much...even now I will be running along and hit a mile that doesn't really feel *good* and think to myself that a few years ago I would have stopped and walked...which is exactly why I never ran more than 1.5 miles non-stop until this year. Now it takes me about that long just to feel warmed-up and comfortable...then I can go for 13 miles without stopping and the majority of that run feels truly great! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

joe reed

Confused hello people. I've looked with interest on this topic as i have one foot which is what might be called 'duck footed'. I wear one side of me right shoe down, and used to get real big problems in one hip. one thing that's really helped me is a daft kind of squat. look up hindu squat on the web. I don't do them too regularlly, but at at least 3 sets of something once a week. It helps a lot. Over the past couple of years i have been to the (free!) physio in work a lot, but these daft simple exercises help me.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What does that squat do? Is it to strengthen your quads? That's one thing I need to do over the winter--work on building up my support muscles a bit. And with the crap weather we've had for the past month (our weather is seriously about a month ahead of itself, which is not a good thing in late Oct. in MI) I am looking forward to some indoor workouts. k

~ Sarah Kay