Running Belt Help (Read 198 times)

With backpack you mean real ones? I mean, not the Nathan type of vest with bladder?
    Would you mind to post the models / brands ?

I don't need one right now becuase my mileage is limited to marathon distance (and I almost never drink or eat while running). But I am going to make my "entree" in the ultras in the second half of next year.

Most of my races don't have aid stations, and the 50-mi race I did went 38mi from thd to thd - carrying gear, food, and getting water from streams. Faster people go lightweight and hope they don't get hypothermia; slower folks like me prefer to be prepared - including bear spray.

The two most recent packs that I've been using are Salomon XT wings 5 for maybe 5-8 hr runs/hikes and old version of Golite Rush for longer stuff or harsher weather. I used Gregory Iso before, and that had the most accessible bladder. I believe all of them have been redesigned. I would never use the Salomon where I need to refill the bladder enroute - too hard to get at it - but it's fine for less-long runs, and I do prefer it's thinner profile, esp. compared with Gregory. If I were doing a long race now, I'd look to see what the current technology and models are. I haven't looked for a few years.  Packs I use for trail work are usually heavier and some do have bladder capability, but I may still my loppers in there rather than bladder.

My next two races I'll have access to drop bag about every 1.4 hr (give or take a bit) (for 10-hr timed race) and the other (hybrid marathon) will have aid stations about every 5mi or so (hilly), so a bit over 1 hr for me. I'll use UD Strider with additional pocket for the first race, and will likely use Ultraspire Kinetic (still testing) with 2 bottles for the latter - don't need to take as much with me as I did with the bladder. Last year, I found I got confused where stuff was since I wasn't using full pack that I was used to. Hence, so more convenient access in front.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog