Is there a live tracking app for running? (Read 196 times)

hectortrojan

Is there a live tracking app for running where activity cant be tracked online?

There are a few but the only one that comes to mind right now is Road Id. Sorry I can't remember the others.

Take my advice: Pull down you're pants and slide on the ice

npaden

If you sign up for the "elite" version of runkeeper it allows live tracking if you have cell phone coverage.

Mapmyrun has a live tracking feature, I think it is cheaper than the elite subscription to runkeeper.

Garmin Fit has live tracking, I think Endomondo does as well.

Sportstracklive and trackrunnerapp are a couple others.

I've never used any of them though.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

joescott

If you happen to have a Garmin 220, 620 or 920XT, you can get the Garmin Connect Mobile app (free) and it has a live track feature that works with those watches.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

If you happen to have a Garmin 220, 620 or 920XT, you can get the Garmin Connect Mobile app (free) and it has a live track feature that works with those watches.

Despite following the instructions, I cannot get my phone and Garmin to sync while running.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Cntrygal

There are a few but the only one that comes to mind right now is Road Id. Sorry I can't remember the others.

I really like this ap!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is there a live tracking app for running where activity cant be tracked online?

Are you talking something so that your spouse knows where you are while on workouts?  My DH and I have the Life 360 app on our phones, which achieves this end.  Free app.  I think there is a paid version with extra features, but nothing we've felt necessary.  The app was really useful when he was crossing the state by bike with friends.  I could see what sort of progress they were making over the course of the day without having to call/text.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

hectortrojan

Thanks everyone. I tried Road Id and liked it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks everyone. I tried Road Id and liked it.

So you have to manually start/stop the app to create a breadcrumb trail? I can't imagine that I'd remember to do that with any reliability. That's one of the things I like about the Life 360 app...it automatically starts as soon as my phone falls off of our home wifi connection. As soon as I return it notifies my DH that I'm back home. He can see at a moment's notice where I am on a map, so if he sees I'm at the store, for instance, he can easily drop me a text to see if I can pick up more eggs, or whatever. Here's my DH's breadcrumb trail from yesterday:

~ Sarah Kay

FSBD

Wow.

I would not want to be tracked like that. That sounds awful.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Joann Y

Wow.

Agreed. That is too weird.

Feeling the growl again

Wow.

As creepy as that is for general use, I think my wife would like it during work for safety reasons...might have to look into that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Cntrygal

The ecrumb thing sounds an audible alert before sending out a message that you've been stationary for 5 minutes.  I haven't tested that particular function though.  LOL

So you have to manually start/stop the app to create a breadcrumb trail? I can't imagine that I'd remember to do that with any reliability. That's one of the things I like about the Life 360 app...it automatically starts as soon as my phone falls off of our home wifi connection. As soon as I return it notifies my DH that I'm back home. He can see at a moment's notice where I am on a map, so if he sees I'm at the store, for instance, he can easily drop me a text to see if I can pick up more eggs, or whatever. Here's my DH's breadcrumb trail from yesterday:

Cntrygal

Wow.

Yeah, it sounds a bit creepy and my friend that tracked me on one of my runs said that it made him feel a little bit like a "cyber stalker with permission".  I don't use it on all of my runs, but since 99% of my running is solo,  I plan on using it on my night runs and trail runs.  At least if I don't show up when I'm supposed to, they'll know where to look for me. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, it sounds a bit creepy and my friend that tracked me on one of my runs said that it made him feel a little bit like a "cyber stalker with permission".  I don't use it on all of my runs, but since 99% of my running is solo,  I plan on using it on my night runs and trail runs.  At least if I don't show up when I'm supposed to, they'll know where to look for me. 

My spouse is the only one who can track me with Life360 (vise-versa), unlike what I see with the Garmin Livetrack app that some of my cycling friends use.  Makes it easy for us to locate one another if our bikes have a mechanical while riding solo.

~ Sarah Kay