Water Running (Read 2429 times)

I think I have a stress fracture and will find out after my MRI tomorrow. Can you tell me about your experience with water running. Looks boring but I think I'll try a few times a week to work my running muscles while I heal. all other days I workout with the eliptical. My YMCA doesn't have a deep pool. Is it ok to water run in shallow water. Doesn't sound like zero impact. Any recommendations?

Hey GP, sorry to hear about that, man.  If I'm not mistaken, it should be done in deep water with no ground impact.

BoilerTom90 knows a bunch about it.  You may want to send him a private message. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Quote posted: 4/7/2007 at 11:16 AM

Quote from staypuff on 3/18/2007 at 6:28 PM:

I just found out are gym has belts for deep water runign and was thinking of using as a cross trianing workout bu have no idea how to start anyone use it
        stella

I posted this at "on the bench" and tho some info is injury specific - you may find some helpful info as well Smile
        BTW - no expert here - this is just what I found from my own experience

Try to simulate the running motion with arms and legs
        Maintain “pace” at same or faster than on land
        Pool HR will be approx 10 bts less than land running HR
        Keep an upright posture, pelvis tucked, abs tight
        Forward lean during sprints – don’t bend at the waist
        Do drills like high knees, butt kicks and sprints …
        Aim to duplicate time and intensity of your land runs
        Flotation device will allow you to concentrate on form, instead of keeping afloat.
        Strong swimmers may not need float help, but try it until you have form down
        Swimmers may have trouble doing the running motion instead of scissor kicking
        It does feel awkward at first, just keep practicing

The pool is a good place to work out muscle imbalances – most exercises can be done in the pool either with the help of flotation devices/water barbells.
        I’ve even done “leg press” by holding on to the side of the pool, and using fins – resistance is controlled by how big the fins are and how hard/fast you push.
        I like to end by swimming a few laps – just to be working the muscles a little differently.

I had trouble fitting into the aqua jogger at the pool so I got my own here
        I also have these water walkers and while they are providing too much resistance for me right now – I look forward to adding this challenge to the workouts over the next few weeks. I also have a waterproof MP3 player that really helps with the boredom of being in the pool. I got both from that site and had no problems with my order.
        Water shoes will help keep your foot in a plantar flex rather than dorsiflex – but I find they are adding too much resistance for me right now. I will be using them when I transition to running in a shallow pool as I start to return to impact aerobics.

Here are a couple of links to sites with info/plans for water work-outs
        Pftzinger water running plan stength training exercises Injured runner DVD don't have this - just thought it might be

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

MrH

My YMCA doesn't have a deep pool. 

How deep? 5ft should be sufficient for someone your height to use a belt and have a zero impact workout.

The Pfitzinger link is good. Aquajogger also has a "handbook" online: http://www.aquajogger.com/blog/?page_id=128

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi -- I'm currently in a boot due to a broken metatarsal, and have been exclusively pool running since Nov. 4.  My coach strongly nixed doing intervals nearly every day (per Pfitzinger), and instead wants me to replicate my weekly running schedule in the pool as exactly as I can (obviously, no hill workouts right now).

What I can tell you so far is that I've lost some strength in my glutes and calves, but my aerobic fitness seems to be holding up -- my resting HR is about 42 when I'm at peak fitness, and it's been hovering around 44-45 the past week.   I don't feel like I'm working that hard during my easy pool runs (the intervals and tempos are a different story), but I am regularly surprised by how much I apparently sweat in the pool (I've lost up to 4 pounds - about 3% of my body weight -- after a 3 hour easy pool run).

As for depth, I am only 5'4", and yet I've found that 5 feet is not deep enough for me.  Even with a belt, when I'm jogging my chin grazes the water, and my toes will brush bottom in 5 feet.

Shameless self-promotion: I've been blogging a bit about poolrunning/being an injured runner here: http://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

MrH

As for depth, I am only 5'4", and yet I've found that 5 feet is not deep enough for me.  Even with a belt, when I'm jogging my chin grazes the water, and my toes will brush bottom in 5 feet.

You might benefit from a little more buoyancy via an extension to your belt.  Typical guidance is a pool depth 6 - 9 inches less than your height, with use of additional flotation will make it work dependent on body type.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm a bit confused -- by "extension to the belt", do you mean "more than one belt".  I'm really not sure how I would do that.  I'm not tall enough to two buckled one above the other (even the smallest ones bridge the length from my pelvis to the middle of my ribs.  as for buckling one on top of the other -- my arms would end up sticking straight out to the side.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

MrH

I'm a bit confused -- by "extension to the belt", do you mean "more than one belt".  

http://www.aquajogger.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;ITEM?ItemCode=AP160&company=001

Also, different brands of belt provide different amounts of flotation.

The process is the goal.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ah.  Not enough room for those.   I wear my own belt (made by aquajogger) and have also tried a few other types at the pool.   In each case, the foam part of the belt wraps around me enough that there is no space for anything additional.

Not a big deal -- I've got a wide selection of pools with aqua jogging lanes that are 6+ feet deep , so I'm fine anyway.

Best Present Ever

How on earth can you bear 3 hour pool runs?  You're made of sterner stuff than I am.  The boredom just kills me.  90 minutes is the longest I've been able to stand the pool.

How on earth can you bear 3 hour pool runs?  You're made of sterner stuff than I am.  The boredom just kills me.  90 minutes is the longest I've been able to stand the pool.

I was thinking the same thing. 3 hours???

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I only do 3 hours every other week.  Key tricks:

1) I do them in a very nice pool that has a 50m lane reserved for pool running.  So each "lap" takes about 8-10 minutes.  Surprising what a difference that makes

2) I have a waterproof case for my ipod Nano -- so I have podcasts, music, and radio.

3) I coordinate with friends (my coach has many of his runners supplement with pool running).  Usually, I'm able to schedule company for at least 2 of those 3 hours.

...just wandered over here,

but since

I've been poolrunning for 14-months now,

here

is some general info if anyone is interested

http://coolrunningboomers.pbworks.com/w/page/28134117/tomwhite's-intro-to-poolrunning

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

So if Feb training for Boston, I tend to fracture things.  2008 IFx 4th metatarsal mid feb, and Pool trained and cross trained hard and was able to run a 3:19 Boston marathon with no injuries afterwards.( I had run 3:16 the year before without injuries) My first run on land was the week before the marathon.

2010 Fx 2nd Metatarsal Mid Feb, pool ran ect and ran 3:14 at Boston no injuries after..

This year stress fracture in Tibia... yup, doing the pool running thing again...

As boring as it is pool running really does work well.. Havent done it yet this year, but one of the pools has beachballs for use... I recall kicking a beachball up and down the pool lane for over an hour... at least it changed it up a bit..

KC born 7-14-13. RC born 7-21-15

Old PR's: 5k 19:36, 10mi 1:07:46, HM 1:30:04, M 3:06:19

Working on a Comeback after baby #2

Dumb question, but I'd rather learn from someone else's painful mistakes: what do you wear, running shorts or swim shorts?  Are there even chafing issues to avoid?

I don't mind looking [more] stupid, climbing out of the pool in running shorts, if it means no grievously-chafed bits.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau