Water Running (Read 2429 times)

Best Present Ever

I often wear shorts but there really isn't any chafing.  The folks in my area are about 50/50 on the proper swimwear vs running wear thing  in the pool.

See runnerclay's post.

I did this a lot in college when I had problems with my knees and hamstrings.  No matter how hard I ran in the pool I could not replicate the fitness level that you get on land and I would lose conditioning if I did it longer than a week or two at a time.  I did in 8 feet of water so hitting bottom was not an issue; I did it once in 4 feet and my feet hitting the bottom disrupted my form.  Plus it was really boring!  I don't get bored on the treadmill because I can watch TV, but staring at the concrete sides and ends of the pool drove me nuts.

The only thing I found it useful for is if I had a particularly hard workout on land and I was sore, doing very easy pool running for 15 minutes was a great way to cool down and get loose.

Good luck!

MrH

Using a tether and other equipment such as stompers you should have no problem getting a very hard workout.  My DW has done intervals in the pool.

Regular pool shorts should be OK unless they are huge.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm a female, and I've always worn a bathing suit. There are a few guys who wear running split shorts in the pool, but I always thought it looked odd. No idea on chafing.

And yes, I can confirm that you can maintain a great deal of fitness in the pool, if you're willing to put a lot of time into it, and really kill your workouts.  That's been my experience, at least.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I don't mind looking [more] stupid, climbing out of the pool in running shorts, if it means no grievously-chafed bits.

...you already have the Right MindSet....

...I've been

using my running shorts,

no problems,

and it reminds me Why I'm doing this....

Good (pool)Running to Ya..

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I like Booty shorts for pool running... no chaffing, no wedgies, no shorts ballooning out.... yup, booty shorts and sports bra.

KC born 7-14-13. RC born 7-21-15

Old PR's: 5k 19:36, 10mi 1:07:46, HM 1:30:04, M 3:06:19

Working on a Comeback after baby #2

I started running on land a little as well as continuing with the pool running.  Anyone else starting to run on land with some of the same form they are using when pool running?  I feel like my land running form has changed a bit from all the pool stuff...

Best Present Ever

I started running on land a little as well as continuing with the pool running.  Anyone else starting to run on land with some of the same form they are using when pool running?  I feel like my land running form has changed a bit from all the pool stuff...

Nope.  It feels the same.  Of course, I've been doing 50/50.  The only time I feel different is when I exclusively pool run for a couple of weeks.  Then I feel sore from running -- I think I use the same big muscles in the pool as on land, but not all the little stabilizing muscles. 

Training for Boston... for the little stabilizing muscles I have been doing plyometrics in the shallow side.. eeek, just a few weeks left!!!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yes -- I used to be a shuffler; now my knee lift is much higher.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I'm a female, and I've always worn a bathing suit. There are a few guys who wear running split shorts in the pool, but I always thought it looked odd. No idea on chafing.

That's a good point.  E_Rain, where's the best deal on these "Booty shorts?"

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Big 5 sports,  Mens spandex running shorts...hehehe, you can get the ones that have Boston Marathon 115 and get inspired!

...just got back from vacation

5-days of BEACH Running.............every day, nothing hurt

apparently

the poolrunning works well,

actually had to Push It to get into OxygenDebt....

.....to Celebrate,

did my 8th streetrun after I got home,

hip's been killing me

ever since

........so

I think ''Dirt'' is the Correct Answer....

now if I can just  remember the
                            Question.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....