Suggestions for a new bike? (Read 1710 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Holy Moly - great find! Nice!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Slice

The search **may** be over. I chickened out on buying from Bikes Direct. And I've worn DH down enough to spend $1,000 and not wait until my birthday. Please weigh in on this bike for me!

I found a used Scott Contessa CR1 Team (carbon frame, full 105 components) at a consignment shop for $1,311 (w/tax). I'm not sure the year but I'm thinking 2008 or 2009 but it looks brand new. I'm going to go ride it more tomorrow w/out DH in tow. If I feel like it's "the one" I'm may see if they'll let me give them $200 and take DH back and say they'll take $1000,. Does this sound like a good price to those of you who know lots more than I do about bikes? I also found a Trek 2.3 Alpha w/ Look clips and Incite computer for $1,000 on Craigslist but it's about a 3 hour drive to go see it.

Thanks for all the information throughout this thread - it's been very much appreciated and very helpful!

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, that Scott sounds sweet.  What size?  I know the Contessa is pretty popular on a women's cycling board I frequent.  I don't think you will go wrong with those specs, assuming the size is right.  You can always have it tweaked further by you LBS. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Go for the CR1 - sweet.

Frame's a keeper, worth upgrading. 

did

Slice

The girl at the shop wasn't too sure on the size, she guessed a 51cm with her tape measure. It felt good but I only road a teeny bit. My toddler wasn't enthused when I got out of her sight. Thanks for the responses - I feel much better about acting on this bike even though I've only been looking a few weeks.

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

You should test ride for at least 10 minutes, preferably longer.

xhristopher

Go for the CR1 - sweet.

Frame's a keeper, worth upgrading. 

did

Diddo...what he said.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

See if you can get it on a trainer for a little while. If nothing goes excessively numb when you're on the trainer, you'll be golden when you actually get out on the road.

did

Slice

My husband vetoed the extra $200 last night. I'm not too enthused... I think that's a great price on that bike. He thinks I don't need a bike like that since I mostly run. He's right, but I still want that bike. The several hour car trip to visit his family on Christmas should be enough time to wear him down. Evil If I don't get this one I told him that he is now in charge of finding a bike for me.

an amazing likeness

You are a woman.

He is but a man.

You will prevail.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xhristopher

My husband vetoed the extra $200 last night. I'm not too enthused... I think that's a great price on that bike. He thinks I don't need a bike like that since I mostly run. He's right, but I still want that bike. The several hour car trip to visit his family on Christmas should be enough time to wear him down. Evil If I don't get this one I told him that he is now in charge of finding a bike for me. 

While wearing him down, on thing to consider is that a good bike will/should/can last years and years and last thousands and thousands of miles. A little extra up front may doubly insure this. Just don't mention things like shoes, pump, helmet, & clothing until after you have the bike. Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

While wearing him down, on thing to consider is that a good bike will/should/can last years and years and last thousands and thousands of miles. A little extra up front may doubly insure this. Just don't mention things like shoes, pump, helmet, & clothing until after you have the bike. Smile

What he said.  

Plus you never know when that bike will be a sort of lifesaver.  I got my first bike just over a year ago...then I messed up my ankle in June.  I couldn't run a step for almost 6 weeks, but could bike my heart out, and did.  Had I not had some sort of aerobic outlet I'm sure my DH would have paid.  Zoomy is not so nice when she misses workouts.

Tell him you want to start doing multisport races.  Then you will NEED the bike. Evil

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

See if you can get it on a trainer for a little while. If nothing goes excessively numb when you're on the trainer, you'll be golden when you actually get out on the road.

did

Even if your bike fits you, some numbness is possible on a trainer because, unlike riding on the road, you don't need to shift around much. If you go this route try some different positions such as standing, riding on the hoods, and in the drops. Generally it's my opinion that riding a bike on a trainer in order to test it only accomplishes a disaster check in the fit department. It tells you little or nothing about how the bike feels or handles on the road. In fact, all my bikes feel about the same on the trainer but completely different on the road.

Another thing I'd say is worth trying is to go to a bike shop and test ride a bike or two with no intent to purchase. This will give you a benchmark that will, in the end, allow you to make a quicker and better assessment of the actual bike you are considering.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Generally it's my opinion that riding a bike on a trainer in order to test it only accomplishes a disaster check in the fit department. It tells you little or nothing about how the bike feels or handles on the road. In fact, all my bikes feel about the same on the trainer but completely different on the road.

Yup.  Any bike on a trainer kinda sucks.  My saddle that works well on the road feels like a torture device on the trainer.

~ Sarah Kay

Yup.  Any bike on a trainer kinda sucks.  My saddle that works well on the road feels like a torture device on the trainer.

I was on the trainer for an hour last night, and now my ass is killing me.