HELP! GARMIE DIED! (Read 710 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

HELP!  Garmin 305 just died (I blame Trent).  I have gotten quite spoiled having it, but now face a dilemma...

I do not use the HRM, so was thinking of three options...

1) go cheap and find a 205 - functionality same as what I am used to, cheapest option

2) "upgrade" to the 405 - like the look/size of this device, but am a little concerned with the negative reviews on the bezel sensitivity, not turning it off, etc, etc... Also, the price isn't that much of a discount from option 3

3) wait for the 310XT - best I can tell, this is like the 305 in size/shape/features, but it adds wireless interface, full waterproof to 50meters and extended battery life (20 hours - a real plus for an ultrarunner!)

Any thoughts?  (oh, and of course, I WANT IT NOW!!!!!)

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JimR

It's a sign.

free yourself

Have you tried to reset the Garmin.  I thought mine died too.  Then did a hard reboot and it came back to life.
        "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

You'll ruin your knees!

Reset does nothing, whenever I push a button, water oozes from around the screen!  None of the buttons do anything!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Get a Polar HRM/GPS and leave the crap Garmins behind.  I went through 3 of them before I did the same... and have never looked back since.

A Saucy Wench

Reset does nothing, whenever I push a button, water oozes from around the screen!  None of the buttons do anything!

Oh, so it didnt die, you killed it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

You'll ruin your knees!

Oh, so it didnt die, you killed it.

It committed suicide... that and it's really been humid lately!  Noticed moisture in the screen a couple of days ago, only source was my sweat!  Mind you, it has been drenched multiple times per day for the last few days! 

Prince of Fatness

I'd quit running.

Not at it at all. 

You'll ruin your knees!

I'd quit running.

soon enough, my friend!

Prince of Fatness

OK, if I were an ultra guy like you I'd probably pick the last option. I don't know how long the wait is for that but until you get it you can stick to familiar routes and time them however you want.

In the meantime I'd stick the 305 in a nice dry place, unplugged.  Let it dry out thoroughly and try it in a few days / weeks and see if it comes back to life.  But don't plug it into anything until you are pretty sure that it is dry.

Not at it at all. 

I've heard someone stick a wet ipod in a bag of rice to get the moisture out.

MTA:  Here's the post.   http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/f26190ea13f24191ac9564f6aac99116#focus

"If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I understand that when your Garmin dies, you are supposed to go run a marathon @ PR effort.

...---...

Bag of rice...that's a good one.

If you could find a desiccant or silica gel - maybe cat litter - might help draw some of the moisture out. Good thing able a "real" desiccant or silica gel is that once it get's wet, stick it in the oven and drive the moisture off and it's recharged and ready to use.

MTA: reuse once it cools.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

2) "upgrade" to the 405 - like the look/size of this device, but am a little concerned with the negative reviews on the bezel sensitivity, not turning it off, etc, etc... Also, the price isn't that much of a discount from option 3

I have a 405.  Once I started locking the bezel, I stopped having trouble with my 405 on runs, so that part may be ok for you. However, the battery life isn't great.  At a full charge, it lasts 7-8 hours.  You will probably want something longer if you plan to use it in ultras.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have a 405.  Once I started locking the bezel, I stopped having trouble with my 405 on runs, so that part may be ok for you. However, the battery life isn't great.  At a full charge, it lasts 7-8 hours.  You will probably want something longer if you plan to use it in ultras.

Or just run the ultras faster.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.