Estimated calories vs. meassured calories (Read 170 times)

Enough with the fixed distance and fixed time events, I want a fixed calories burned race.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Enough with the fixed distance and fixed time events, I want a fixed calories burned race.

Now this is a good idea.

We all know how well an ostrich does in a regular footrace, but will they continue to dominate in a calorie race?

How fast can they consume calories?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Now this is a good idea.

We all know how well an ostrich does in a regular footrace, but will they continue to dominate in a calorie race?

How fast can they consume calories?

I found this fancy web page devoted to this question, but I can't figure out how to work out their race pace in calories per minute: http://calorielab.com/foods/ostrich-and-emu/103

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Joann Y

How many calories are there in a can of worms?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

How many calories are there in a can of worms?

Ew.  Entirely too many I'm sure.

steph  

mikeymike

Do you even run, bro?

Runners run

And you have no idea which one is closer.

Yes I do. Riding 50 km in a strong headwind makes the estimate from my heart rate much closer. The estimate from this site is at least 50% off in that case. The same goes for tailwind, then it is more than 50% off as well.

There is a reason why heart rate monitors exist, and that we can use them to estimate calories. That is because it is better than not using them, and no one is ever going to convince me otherwise.

This site is meant for registrering data from our rides. Distance, time, elevation, etc. so I don't see why one piece of data should be left out and replaced by an estimate made by the site. You don't see it estimating how long you have ridden based on the time it took. No, it lets you put in that piece of data yourself.

I would prefer to be able to enter all data myself, no matter what they are, and not have this site estimate anything. There are also other sites out there, which people may prefer to use for their estimates. Who says that this sites estimates are the best, and why should people not be able to use whatever they prefer?

Feeling the growl again

Yes I do. Riding 50 km in a strong headwind makes the estimate from my heart rate much closer. The estimate from this site is at least 50% off in that case. The same goes for tailwind, then it is more than 50% off as well.

You are basing this 50% off the assumption that the HRM estimate is accurate.  The fact is, there is a large margin of error inherent in that estimate as well.  Short of measuring O2/CO2, what you get is broad estimates.  That was my point.  Not that I am concerned with you wanting to be able to enter whatever very rough estimate you prefer.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joescott

There is a reason why heart rate monitors exist, and that we can use them to estimate calories. That is because it is better than not using them, and no one is ever going to convince me otherwise.

Well, at least you have an open mind.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Frank, what are you using as your gold standard against which you are comparing that allows you to state with such certainty that one method is better than another?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Frank, what evidence do you have to support the implied assertion that heart rate correlates with caloric expenditure?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Frank, why do you believe that riding against a stiff headwind burns more calories then riding without a headwind?

Frank, what evidence do you have to support the implied assertion that heart rate correlates with caloric expenditure?

I have a Garmin GPS device that calculates the calories based on my heart rate. I assume that the people who design such devices know what they are doing.

And if you don't believe that a higher heart rate for the same type of work (over the same distance) results in more calories burned, then you are more stupid than you are allowed to be.

Besides, it is totally irrelevant what is right and what is wrong. My point is that I should be able to register my calories on this site, just as I am able to register all other types of data. Calories should not be a special case. The site estimates nothing else, so it should not estimate calories either (unless you select it as an option). It should just register whatever number I input to it, however right or wrong it may be.

I am not going to discuss the quality of the various estimates further, because that is not what my suggestion is about. It is about the functionality of this site: The posibility of registering all data freely, whatever they may be.

Frank, why do you believe that riding against a stiff headwind burns more calories then riding without a headwind?

Lol. You just proved yourself stupid.

If I ride 50 km in a strong headwind, compared to a 50 km ride in no headwind, are you saying that this requires the same amount of work? Excuse me, but I do know a bit about physics.

And if you don't believe that a higher heart rate for the same type of work (over the same distance) results in more calories burned, then you are more stupid than you are allowed to be.

Count me in as another who exists beyond his allowable stupidity.