watch or clock? (Read 573 times)

mummydust

For years I have been starting my watch as I cross the start line, so for my personal records my times are a few seconds faster than the official race time. I hope that is cool with everybody. Last Sunday however, in a USTaF certified marathon, the official time has me a full 56 seconds faster than my watch. And I think it took me 10-20 seconds to get to the start line and start my watch. I am feeling guilty for writing 3:55:00 in my list of times, when I am sure it took me 3:55:56 to actually complete it. If this happened to you, what would you report and tell people you finished in?
      I hope that is cool with everybody.
      Not cool. You fail.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Spencer Davis

Honestly your pr's are your, nobody elses. You can time them however you want. As long as you think that your time is honest and fair, i think everyone else should agree with it.
          I am feeling guilty
          This answers your question.
          And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Did you have a timing chip?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

It sounds like the race directors have you timed under the wrong person.
                I have had wrong times corrected "officially" by the RD [Spring Lake 5 for example] ... that will take away the guilt

2012= under-goaled

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I think they had me down as the wrong person last week for my 5k (there were no timing chips). I was so happy to see the race clock under 30 minutes when I crossed the finish line (a PR for me), but then the time listed in the paper was 30:01. I know, not that big a deal, but I didn't understand why it happened.
                  mummydust

This answers your question.
                    Yup. So I changed my marathon maniacs page to reflect what I believe to me the true time was. My placing is correct, everyone in the marathon got a 56 second bonus per the official clock. Now if that had been enough difference to get me a BQ I am quite sure I would not have said anything Smile