My VO2 max test results... I've been in the Twilight Zone! (Read 942 times)

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

I finally did the test yesterday. I was pleased to learn that my max HR was 176 and my VO2 max was a relatively fit 51 (considering that I'm a 49yo female and ~ 10# overweight). The exercise physiologist recommended that I do my LSD runs in Zone 2 (132-143 bpm) and my tempo runs in Zone 3 (143-151 bpm). I didn't realize how slow that means I'll have to run until I updated my Garmin training log tonight. Apparently, I've been doing my tempo runs in Zones 4 and 5... and my LSD runs are all in Zones 3 and 4. I'm doing 13m tomorrow and I feel like I'm gonna have to CRAWL to keep my HR below 143! My running goals for 2008 are to enjoy the Big Sur marathon (and finish under the 6hr cut-off) but to race 4-5 Halfs and try to get closer to a 2hr finish (PR is 2:06 in 2007). I guess I need reassurance from those of you who have had success w/ HR-based training that training slower will really help me get faster... Would appreciate your feedback.

Jeanne

The Greatest of All Time

Congrats! Your max HR is outstanding given your stats. And I know how you feel about having to slow down to stay in a heart rate zone. I used to strictly abide by zone training rules but don't these days. I used to wear a heart rate monitor religiously too but now only use it occasionally.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        I just started Low heart rate training at the beginning of this year- so I haven't been doing it very long at all, but I have noticed that I am now running a little faster at the same heart rate, but the big difference for me is how long I can run as well as how good I feel after a run- it has actually made running a lot more fun. I can also run more with less rest. Hopefully it will also make me faster, but I am trying to be patient. Ho do you go about getting a VO2 max test done? Did your insurance pay for it? If you had to pay- how $$ was it? Did you just ask your Dr for a VO2 max test?
        Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

The test regularly costs $150, but I got a 10% discount as a member of the local training group. I doubt that my insurance will pay for it but I plan to submit the receipt for reimbursement from my flex spending account. Training by HR instead of pace is going to be a huge paradigm shift, but I'm curious to see the effect on my April half (would like to finish sub-2:05). And since I developed PF during the fall mileage ramp-up to the Columbus marathon (and had to stop running for 6wks while doing PT 3x/wk), I'll be thrilled if this allows me to do those 20+mile training runs without pain!

Jeanne

Welcome to the fabulously frustrating world of LHR training! I just started mine seriously two weeks ago (needed to recover from my January marathon first) and yes it's hard but I agree with what Holo said about slowing down. I notice that running is MUCH more enjoyable than it was before. I can go for longer periods of time and not feel completely exhausted. I actually WANT to go out for a run now whereas before I would dread going out because I knew that I would be exhausted at the end. Now when I run I'm able to grocery shop after, clean the house, anything I want because I'm not totally drained. The only hard part about it is I'm a type A personality and I want results now so it's been a great test of my patience but I'm sure it will pay off in the end. At least that is what I keep telling myself.
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
              I finally did the test yesterday... The exercise physiologist recommended that I do my LSD runs in Zone 2 (132-143 bpm) and my tempo runs in Zone 3 (143-151 bpm)... I guess I need reassurance from those of you who have had success w/ HR-based training that training slower will really help me get faster...
              Did your test results include data on heart rate (HR) versus respiratory exchange ratio (RER)? Note that RER is sometimes known as respiratory quotient (RQ). Either this or data on fat calories and carb calories versus HR would be really useful to know. For many folks, slowing down on base-mileage and long runs will help build the fat-burrning capabilities of the body, and this will pay dividends by allowing you to race faster later on. I know one guy who raised his Aerobic Threshold (AeT) [however that was defined on his 2 VO2 tests] by 30 bpm over a period of 6 - 9 months just by following a strict regime of base building at a low heart rate. Like they say, YMMV. At some point, you will need to do some kind of faster paced work, but it doesn't have to be very much. Some people get great results by training at easy and periodically doing some races. I've found that LHR training is a great way to build up base mileage without getting injured. In the "User Groups" there is one for Low Heart Rate Training. If you find that and join it, you can get answers to your questions from a number of folks with a lot of experience at this. Also, search for posts by "formationflier" and check out his FAQ on low heart rate training.
              Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Did your test results include data on heart rate (HR) versus respiratory exchange ratio (RER)? Note that RER is sometimes known as respiratory quotient (RQ). Either this or data on fat calories and carb calories versus HR would be really useful to know.
                I have raw data on RQ as well as fat and carb calories... but not sure what to do w/ that information.
                In the "User Groups" there is one for Low Heart Rate Training. If you find that and join it, you can get answers to your questions from a number of folks with a lot of experience at this. Also, search for posts by "formationflier" and check out his FAQ on low heart rate training.
                I've done both - thanks for the great tips!

Jeanne