Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies--and even veteran runners. (Read 2781 times)

Happy Holidays (Politically Correct). As a way of introduction, I have posted for 2+ yrs on CR. My message/gift to you. Slow Down. Take your time. Make running--fun--play. It works. I have been running consistently over the last 31 yrs (and 8 months) and have logged over 65,000 miles--mostly injury free. I attribute a lot of it to not pushing the pace too much. Yes, I race--over 400 races from 1 mile to 100K. But, most of my running is gentle. Walk breaks are authorized--as are rest days. Make it a goal to be a lifetime runner. If you take your time--and think about running 10--20--30--yrs from now there is not quite the need to speed up. You will get faster--and have fewer injuries if you take it ez. If not, you will more than likely join the world's largest running club--"I Use To Run BUT....Club" Did I say it works? This year--at age 64-- I will have logged more miles--over 2,300 than I have since the mid 80's. As important --my passion for running may be actually growing. I know my appreciation for the ability to put one foot in front of the other has grown over the decades. Make your motto: Start EZ--then back off. Remember--there is no finish line. Nick Oh, you will probably see similar messages in my future posts.
      ooooh. i LUV gifts. nicko, will you be my gift Big grin i am not a newbie, but i could be for you Smile Wink Smile
        ooooh. i LUV gifts. nicko, will you be my gift Big grin i am not a newbie, but i could be for you Smile Wink Smile
        YIKES!! I am already liking this forum. Best offer today--I think. Seems more like a Lets Run post. Nick
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Great advice, Nick. Look out for those monkeys, though--I hear they fling poo...and some even fly! Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

New Runner

It's good to see you here, Nick.
              Welcome aboard, Nick.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Dave

Thanks for the early Christmas gift Nick (Politically incorrect but feel free to insert your holiday of preference). Can't think of anything more important under our tree than permission and even encouragement to relax and enjoy running rather feeling like you have to run every mile faster than the one before. When I started taking your advice, the length of my runs went up and the pace of my runs rose as well. After a while, the pace started coming back down even though my effort was still an easy run pace. I couldn't be happier that you've found your way over to RA.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

i like to run Big grin running hard and fast Cool if i run slow then i rase slow so i always run fast Big grin Big grin i like to run a 3000 xc, that is my best, always in 15. why run slow, is this walkingahead Confused oh maybe it was coolwalking Yes
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

i like to run Big grin running hard and fast Cool if i run slow then i rase slow so i always run fast Big grin Big grin i like to run a 3000 xc, that is my best, always in 15. why run slow, is this walkingahead Confused oh maybe it was coolwalking Yes
                    Reminds me of the punchline from the comic strip Zits a couple of days ago - "The best substitute for experience is being 15." I swear that cartoonist knows my teenager personally!

madness baby

Wow, I had a great run today. What a gift. Thanks for the advice.
                      deb
                      mikeymike

Thanks, Nick. Welcome aboard. In the spirit of the holidays I have been inspired to share a gift as well, with newbies and veteran runners alike. Since credentials seem important here, I have posted on RA for 18+ months. My message/gift to you. Speed the hell up. Run like your hair is on fire. I have been running consistently over the last 36 or so years (slightly less time than I've been walking) virtually all of it injury free. I attribute all of it to occasionally blazing; utterly abandoning all reason and sanity and getting down to a primal level of predator or prey. Yes, I race--from here to the mailbox and back, around the dining room table, and from 40m to the marathon. Sometimes I even challenge a pack of local kids to race me on their BMX bikes. Sure, most of my running is at an easy pace, but it's far from gentle. Well, sometimes it is. Sometimes it's not. Make it a goal to make your own goals. Running for 10--20--30 years may be important to you. But for some of us, occasionally shaking hands with our inner beast and making the well fed neighbors scowl disapprovingly as we blow foolishly into a hellish kick with yet more than half a mile to go in a random, ho-hum, hello-how-do-you-do-8-miler just to see if we still can feel pain? Well, that is what makes all those dates with The Road worthwhile in the first place. Run slow to run fast, but for the love of all that is holy run fast. Insanely fast. Foolishly fast. Did I mention it works? This year I will have logged more miles than Jeff, aka JTH, aka The Philosopher. Which is really all that matters. I am not as fast as I was in the 80's but I'm getting there. Make your motto whatever you want your motto to be. Start easy, then run like you stole something. Remember--there are lots of finish lines. Boatloads of them, really. Mike. Oh you will probably come to realize I am a boob. There are lots of boobs. Boatloads of them, really.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hear hear. Run hard. Run fast. Run on hills. Listen to your body. When your body aches, slow down. When it is tired, rest. When you run, run hard. Run fast. When you run long, run slower. When you run for fun, run slower. But nothing feels like the pain and the high you get when ripping your lungs out as you tear towards the next town. Run hard. Run fast. Run on hills. In the snow. In the rain. If it is cold, run harder. Generate heat. Melt the ice. Tear it up. If you only run slow, you will get bored and you will stop running. And then, perhaps, you may join the "I Use To Run BUT....Club" Wink I have run but for 3 years. I am not athletic. I have no talent. But I love it. I pile on the miles. Some fast, some hard, some on hills, some in torrential downpours. Occasionally I slow down to a lower effort, occasionally to a higher effort. I took Monday off because I was tired. I took November off because I was sick and because life got in the way. But I'll get my 2000 miles this year and have had a blast doing it. Run hard. Run fast. Run on hills. Every runner to their own style. And in my religion, December is not a gift giving month. That is what Purim is for.
                          mikeymike

As I said, there are lots of boobs. Boatloads of them, really.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That is why I run fast. I'm chasing 'em.