Which Wireless Sports Headphones Should I Buy? (Read 459 times)

Prima Materia

Hi Guys,

Could you give me some advice on what brand of wireless sports headphones I should get? Obviously they should be comfy, be sweat-proof and have decent sound.

There doesn't seem to be loads of reviews for any one kind, so thought I'd check here.

I'm really indecisive and quite sceptical with sports products - what's the best way of deciding what's worth actually buying? Where they're sold, if they're recommended by athletes, if they're a popular brand, etc.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've tried the jaybids. Sounded good, fit sucked (despite all the different methods to keep them in) Also tried those ones Crowie advertises, I forget the brand but they are yellow. Worked ok but could not wear them outside since sunglasses wouldn't fit over them. they're like big hearing aids. I tried two other pair that I bought at best buy, I forget the brands, but they sucked. Basically, all of them I've tried suck for running. They slowly slip out of my ears. I even tried the yarbud attachment things. No luck. I use an LG Tone when I'm on the stationary bike or weight lifting. Pretty good sound. Much better sound than the cheap wired ones that DO work for me for running. (Phillips I think).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

Feeling the growl again

I've tried virtually all the higher quality bluetooth headphones for use on the treadmill.  None of them were truly sweat-proof and none lasted over 4 months.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm looking at wireless, but not quite ready to pull the trigger.  I'm pretty pissed at Yurbuds not honoring their warranty unless their headphones are purchased from very specific retailers (Amazon.com doesn't count, as I'm finding with my defective, nearly-new pair).  I long loved the Sennheiser sport models, but they don't really appear to be producing an iPhone-friendly model with controls on the cord, any longer.  So bluetooth seems like a reasonable solution, since I'm not a fan of the cords flopping around or getting tangled in things or knotted before every run (how do they always do this?  Is it evil little gnomes coming in at night?).

Most intrigued by the Plantronics BackBeat model.  Reviews look good and they seem to be pretty moderately priced.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

been there done that...lasted two months

I'm looking at wireless, but not quite ready to pull the trigger.  I'm pretty pissed at Yurbuds not honoring their warranty unless their headphones are purchased from very specific retailers (Amazon.com doesn't count, as I'm finding with my defective, nearly-new pair).  I long loved the Sennheiser sport models, but they don't really appear to be producing an iPhone-friendly model with controls on the cord, any longer.  So bluetooth seems like a reasonable solution, since I'm not a fan of the cords flopping around or getting tangled in things or knotted before every run (how do they always do this?  Is it evil little gnomes coming in at night?).

Most intrigued by the Plantronics BackBeat model.  Reviews look good and they seem to be pretty moderately priced.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Darn...I wonder if the positive reviews were from runners who hadn't used them very long.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AdamBryan

Plantronics Backbeat Fit. I'm only about a month into my first pair, but they are really good. I don't always run with headphones, but having wireless headphones when I do, is nice. Decent sound, but still allows environmental noise in for safety. Pretty steady in the ears. They took a little getting used to in my ear (I think I have slightly smaller earholes), but after two wears, no issues.

If they break down in 4 months like others are claiming, I'll report back. But so far, so good.

qel

Raquel in Dallas

I have the Motorola S11-HD.

(not the Flex HD, which has more bendy joints and has worse reviews)

I've had them for over two years and they're great. Well, the only thing that isn't great is that they feel a little tight after an hour if I'm wearing a headband under them and have sunglasses jammed on under them. But that's more the fault of my big head.

There really aren't many water resistant bluetooth headphones, and the S11s are a much better design than anything else I've seen/tried.

joescott

I buy cheap ones, knowing that I will destroy them with sweat and rain over the course of about a year, or maybe two if I'm lucky.  Right now I'm using a pair of Philips ones that have things that wraps around the ears to hold them in place better when running (a necessity for me).  These have been going strong for me for several months and are even hanging in there now on these really sweaty, sultry summer days.

php

But, I'm not brand loyal.  I just have to have the earwrap things and they have to be cheap.  :-)

Often I have found that if they don't go bad at the headphone end, they go bad at the connector end, so either way you are doomed, and I've always doubted very much that spending 5x-10x on "sport" models would really equal out economically.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

SMART Approach

I really like my MPOW Cheetah wireless headset. Fits great, nice sound and only around $30. Can't be beat!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Zelanie

I got a pair of Cootree® C230 Sport headphones in January for TM use, and to my surprise they've held up really well, and they stay in place fine.  I can never get earbuds to stay in, but these ones seem to do the trick.

Chasing the bus

I wore these arctic cooling headphones for years, snow/rain/wind/treadmill sweat. I did have trouble with the little screws that hold on the speakers (under the foam), but when they broke, I used quick epoxy, and used them for more years. I'm due for a new pair, and for the price these are almost disposable.

Recently using the skullcandy chops. Theyre ok, but I miss volume/skip on the headphones and HATE the leash.

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                          Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

not lazy, just tired

I've had my Jaybird Bluebuds for about 2 years now, still going strong, Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night (sweat of day?) stays these couriers from the swift (or not so swift in my case) completion of their appointed rounds.

Not if it makes sense.

Beats by Dre, moderately priced as well, and sound great.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I really like my ThumpXtreme, I wear glasses and they fit, I have had them for almost a year with no problems, don't buy the "Original Thump" they turned out to NOT be 100% waterproof, but the ThumpXtreme have lasted through many a sweaty and rainy run Smile

The ear bud part does not tend to stick in the ear while running but the just lay on the outside and the sound quality is great while letting gin outside noise for safety.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                                My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                                Ride 112 miles.
                                Run 26.2 miles.
                                Then brag for the rest of your life.
                                -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator