2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Sounds like others are running various time trials as well!  I did the same on Saturday where I officially ran about a 16:15'ish 5K (strava gave me 16:07, but I ran just a bit extra to ensure a proper length).  Knew I was in pretty good shape to PR in the 5K as it had been nearly a year where I really went after one.  Surprised myself going out in 5:08 for the first mile and felt really good about that start.  Hit a bit of a mental block in mile 2 running somewhere around a 5:15 split and struggled to hold pace till about mile 2.4, but then found another gear for the last 1200 meters or so slightly increasing the pace down to 5:12 for mile 3 and then going under 5 pace for the last 0.2 miles for the final kick.  Was also around 70 degrees so nowhere near ideal and wonder if I might be in close enough shape to chase after a sub 16 at some point.  Probably would take a good few workouts of specific training, but with the heat returning year that will likely have to wait until next year?  All of my other races are cancelled through June so not sure what I go after next, but thrilled to cap off the season with a fast time trial irregardless.

Nice job!

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'll just get over it and move on to something harder. Marathons don't present the challenge they did when I set out to run one.

I don't trust the government. Mostly because I work for one.

Groups of two. Impressive. In America some people would refer to a gathering of two individuals a "pair" and I'd be curious to know if "immediate family members" were exempt from the limit so a father could enter public with his child and wife, or Grandparents could take their grandchild(ren) somewhere.

I was kind of hoping that Boston would be my thank you and goodnight Marathon. Wallop Cal and then hobble off into the sunset.

yeah it’s no gatherings of more than 2 people except for households. But we’re allowed one form of exercise per day...run/walk/cycle etc.  Boris is a liberal and feels uncomfortable ordering people what to do...but he had no choice to lockdown as some folk ignored his advice to social distance and act responsibly.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I was kind of hoping that Boston would be my thank you and goodnight Marathon. Wallop Cal and then hobble off into the sunset.

yeah it’s no gatherings of more than 2 people except for households. But we’re allowed one form of exercise per day...run/walk/cycle etc.  Boris is a liberal and feels uncomfortable ordering people what to do...but he had no choice to lockdown as some folk ignored his advice to social distance and act responsibly.

Start your long run around 10:00pm and extend it into the next day. Four hour run compliant with the rules of fearless leader. Oh and if you have a large family they can work your aid stations for you. I'm finding all kinds of "loopholes" to this quarantine situation and directly disobeying the intent of them since we're all allowed to go outside while trying to prevent the spread of a virus causing everyone to be quarantined.

https://bgr.com/2020/03/24/italy-coronavirus-video-mayors-scold-citizens-who-break-quarantine/

Exactly what I'd expect from elected officials telling people to stay home. Everyone is a toddler and the Government is the parent trying to control the situation. "It's okay for me to be out here because I'm here to tell you no one can be out here." 

oh and cal would stomp you like a mudhole. I'd put up $8.86 Australian dollars on it.  Enough to buy some beer.

oh yeah, here is why I laugh at the elected officials telling people to go home. When people are stealing from a hospital and putting the lives of those responsible for taking care of the sick at risk it's a joke to tell people to stay home and expect them to stay home. Yeah that's right, nurses are now on a "one mask" policy. If anyone is familiar with the spread of germs they will tell you this is how you spread germs.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/03/23/reno-nurses-say-they-face-mask-shortage-limited-testing-patients/2902288001/

Still another nurse who spoke with the RGJ said the "unsafe" reuse of disposable masks was a problem worsened, at least in part, by hoarding and overuse.

“It seems like it’s changing every day, in terms of what we have and what we’re being told to do,” the nurse said. “We initially had a good supply, but once this blew up we had patients and family members stealing boxes of masks. “People at the hospital were grabbing masks and using them inappropriately, so we went through 70,000 masks in five days.” 

“I personally think the one mask policy until we get more supplies is completely unsanitary and absolutely unsafe,” the nurse added. 

We are being requested to use the same mask multiple times for multiple patients and for multiple days, storing them in bags,” Fuller said. “We have also been told we will use a (surgical mask) instead.

“And lastly we are being forced to make our own masks from cloth if it is necessary. … As a nurse, I can promise you I will not stop helping the sick, but I am putting my life and wellness on the line. Please help me in this war against COVID-19.”

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

oh and cal would stomp you like a mudhole. I'd put up $8.86 Australian dollars on it.  Enough to buy some beer.

Is that all???  You mustn’t be that impressed by 132 mile weeks!

I don’t think there’s a time limit for our 1 exercise per day...so maybe some folk might start to realise that a single 14 miler is actually better than a 8+6 double. 

Some of our nurses have had to use bin liners for PPE. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/24/nurses-resort-wearing-bin-liners-protection-against-coronavirus/ 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Is that all???  You mustn’t be that impressed by 132 mile weeks!

It just doesn't matter - I just hope we will have an opportunity to be able to wallop each other at some point - and we both know who will wallop whom 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It just doesn't matter - I just hope we will have an opportunity to be able to wallop each other at some point - and we both know who will wallop whom 

Let’s just say that there’ll be no problem with social distancing when we race.  Bring a disposable mask with you to avoid eating my dust. 👍

CalBears

Let’s just say that there’ll be no problem with social distancing when we race.  Bring a disposable mask with you to avoid eating my dust. 👍

I am not sure how you are planning to wallop me if you are going to produce so much dust and sand while running? 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I am not sure how you are planning to wallop me if you are going to produce so much dust and sand while running? 

We’ll just have to wait and see how things pan out this year. No way will I be racing in 2022, so hopefully we can race next year...if its not Boston then maybe some other place later in the year. 👍

CalBears

We’ll just have to wait and see how things pan out this year. No way will I be racing in 2022, so hopefully we can race next year...if its not Boston then maybe some other place later in the year. 👍

Yeah, let's plan and be ready any time next year - will figure out where it will be as soon as there is an opportunity.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Weather Really nice 5k congratulations. I entered a virtual race for the 13.1 and the mile and I am not motivated to race either ofthem. So huge congratulations.

Hard to have motivation when I got chased off a track this morning. Hahaha 1x 1k before the security guard could get someone to show up with a key.

Huge kudos to you, I'm standing down doing the basics until I know how things will unfold.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah, let's plan and be ready any time next year - will figure out where it will be as soon as there is an opportunity.

What about New Zealand as a possible race? (if we’re allowed to enter).  We get to meet the awesome Marky and Piwi?  It’s got to be worth thinking about...No?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

What about New Zealand as a possible race? (if we’re allowed to enter).  We get to meet the awesome Marky and Piwi?  It’s got to be worth thinking about...No?

I'm in on this...if Piwi comes out of retirement and runs a marathon.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

I am sorry if I already asked, but - how many kids that are going to college do you have? 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'm in on this...if Piwi comes out of retirement and runs a marathon.

He won’t get anymore motivation than this...JMac royalty will be there!

Marky_Mark_17

He won’t get anymore motivation than this...JMac royalty will be there!

Let's see... if we get Piwi out of retirement, keep JMac out of retirement, and get to host the hugely-anticipated Mikkey / Calbears duel... this is probably the biggest sporting event that will happen in New Zealand next year.  God knows the networks will be looking for something since the NRL is probably going to go bust and Super Rugby isn't looking a lot better.

I'm already entered for Christchurch Marathon in June as they've just rolled entries from this year's (cancelled).  It's a flat, out-and-back Mikkey-approved course too!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"