2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Probably should have translated my post for non Daniels folks: R pace work is usually 200 or 400 meter repeats at 1600 meter pace. The 200s are pretty easy, the 400s are rough.

I work is generally 1000 or 1200 meter repeats, around 3K pace. Classic V02 max stuff.

So Mark and I are recommending the same thing for you . That 15:XX should be something you should strive for.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Thanks for the feedback! I might throw in some R work over the next few weeks in the hope that I might get a decent day weather-wise in early April.  This weekend the forecast is calling for highs in the low to mid 90's!  Only thing missing right now is going to be the motivation to push hard while things get worse over the next 3-4 weeks here and elsewhere.  Cases are popping up all over FL now as many folks have tried to escape NY and other locales in the northeast.  Plus I think we are seeing the impact of spring breakers as well.  My county is still not on lock-down, but most of the other surrounding areas are going starting tonight.  Stay safe everyone!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

This lockdown is doing weird things to my wife’s head as she wants to join me on my next run! 😳

She normally goes to the gym twice a week and does Zumba classes as well, but has never been a big fan of running.

The funny thing is that my first introduction to running was back in 2007 when she suggested that I run a mile loop around the local park to start getting fit!  I blame her for all my running injuries and race suffering over the years. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey yeah I reckon this could start a new running revolution. A couple more weeks of lockdown and people are going to be desperate for excercise.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

Mikkey - funny I started to run in very similar circumstances - when my wife and I were taking 6 weeks tennis lessons and as a bonus we were given an access to all their facilities. We immediately found an outstanding swimming coach for our 6 years old daughter and while she was taking lessons, my wife and I were using treadmills running side by side (I remember very vividly I was only able to run 10 minutes at 5 mph, then walk 10 minutes because I was dead out of breath and repeated that cycle 3 times). Surprisingly I liked it, I also immediately noticed my sleep became like 500 times better and in a few weeks I started to dream about running a marathon Smile - not 5K, not 10K, not even half but full thing. In 3 months I ran my first 5K in 22:24 and was totally absolutely hooked. Ran 1:42 HM a month later - saying it only because I had the worst 4 or 5 recovery days after that HM - I literally could not move the next day after HM and could not go downstairs next couple of days (only by moving backwards). Funny that few years later I could proceed as a normal person right after I just PR-ed in a marathon Smile

Anyway, my wife is on a religious fasting now - so, she definitely doesn't feel strong enough to have any urge to run even during this lockdown. And even after fasting she is not big fan of running at all - I think after that 2011 gym experience she probably had an urge to run once when she went to local gym to lose weight - but that ended pretty quickly. I would be happy to run with her, or with my daughter for a couple of miles - but, unfortunately, they are not believers Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey yeah I reckon this could start a new running revolution. A couple more weeks of lockdown and people are going to be desperate for excercise.

Totally agree...I’ve seen a few people that obviously don’t run regularly and that’s great....maybe they’ll see the positive vibe from running. 👍

Cal - Easy tiger, you are now going nuts with the mileage.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - funny I started to run in very similar circumstances - when my wife and I were taking 6 weeks tennis lessons and as a bonus we were given an access to all their facilities. We immediately found an outstanding swimming coach for our 6 years old daughter and while she was taking lessons, my wife and I were using treadmills running side by side (I remember very vividly I was only able to run 10 minutes at 5 mph, then walk 10 minutes because I was dead out of breath and repeated that cycle 3 times). Surprisingly I liked it, I also immediately noticed my sleep became like 500 times better and in a few weeks I started to dream about running a marathon Smile - not 5K, not 10K, not even half but full thing. In 3 months I ran my first 5K in 22:24 and was totally absolutely hooked. Ran 1:42 HM a month later - saying it only because I had the worst 4 or 5 recovery days after that HM - I literally could not move the next day after HM and could not go downstairs next couple of days (only by moving backwards). Funny that few years later I could proceed as a normal person right after I just PR-ed in a marathon Smile

Anyway, my wife is on a religious fasting now - so, she definitely doesn't feel strong enough to have any urge to run even during this lockdown. And even after fasting she is not big fan of running at all - I think after that 2011 gym experience she probably had an urge to run once when she went to local gym to lose weight - but that ended pretty quickly. I would be happy to run with her, or with my daughter for a couple of miles - but, unfortunately, they are not believers Smile

You are a bit more long winded than me, but I appreciate your posts. 👍

Any opinion on the coronavirus?....is it racist to mention China and their disgusting culture towards animals and are they to blame?

Marky_Mark_17

Any opinion on the coronavirus?....is it racist to mention China and their disgusting culture towards animals and are they to blame?

If you didn't have live animal markets trafficking unusual endangered species like pangolins, there's a lot less risk of viruses jumping from species to species.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

If you didn't have live animal markets trafficking unusual endangered species like pangolins, there's a lot less risk of viruses jumping from species to species.

Yep, I think a lot of folk just turn a blind eye to what goes on because it’s not their country and it doesn’t affect their life. Well that’s all changed now!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Totally agree...I’ve seen a few people that obviously don’t run regularly and that’s great....maybe they’ll see the positive vibe from running. 👍

This is very much happening in my area - lots of newbies who decided to start running outside since everything else is closed.

But....the problem is - that means more people out on the trails/roads, making it very hard to maintain spacing.  It's gotten bad enough that our local governments have been closing some of the major running routes.  For example, I can no longer access that 3 mile Hains Point loop that JMAC loves so much on Strava - blocked off to all by police since there were way too many people down there last weekend.

More people on less routes means, unfortunately, it's even harder to maintain the proper spacing.  It's particularly bad where I live, so I've been driving to other places where I can run with more space.

In anticipation of things getting even more crowded and unmanageable and unsafe, I rented a treadmill for 3 months - it's currently sitting in an awkward space (which is why it is a rental, not a purchase).    It's nice to have it as an option if things get worse, and in the meantime we can also entertain ourselves by teaching the cats to walk on it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

You are a bit more long winded than me, but I appreciate your posts. 👍

It is if you're President Donald Trump.  Seriously, being home so much has allowed me time to watch a lot of videos I'd never look at. Media directly asking "Why are you calling it Chinese Coronavirus" when the station they work for was calling it "Wuhan Coronavirus" a week or two ago. Ignore Ebola, Spanish Flu, Swine Flu (not regional, also didn't come from pigs), etc. Trump is just a racist being racist he just switched from Mexicans to Chinese. Thankfully Canadians are ignored.

I'm humored at the number of people going outside with all the "quarantine" and "social distancing" going around. Somehow we're going to stop the spread of this virus if everyone walks their dogs and socially interacts just as before. It hasn't changed the number of inconsiderate assholes. Feel free to continue walking  your animals (and kids) off leash. Just the same as "share the road" with cyclists who don't move over or ride single file in the bike lane. Our Governor said to go outside to parks and such, don't touch surfaces where the virus can live, limit groups to less than 10 and he knows more than the President about when this will be over.

I've moved to trail running because it is narrow single track. First minute into a run some dickbag with his massive dog off leash is telling me how his dog is friendly. Thanks. How about you follow the law about keeping your dog on a leash? Not like COVID-19 comes from animals or anything. At least on trails I only saw 3 people. Probably because it was 10 mph winds and 50F (kinda chilly) at 2:00 when I was running. I expect MORE people to be going outside next week when the weather is mid 60s and kids have to do schoolwork. You know...because Spring Break was miserable weather (40s and cloudy) so we need to make up for that inside tie.

So in summary, society hasn't changed at all and I'm laughing at the news and fears being continually perpetuated. Stay inside, and take your dog out for long walks every day like you've never done before. Your mental health is MUCH more important than anyon'es immune system. /rant

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Dogs off leash ALWAYS piss me off, now is no different in that respect. But I see no problem with people continuing to do their thing outside as long as they keep their spacing. More difficult in more heavily populated areas like NYC of course, so it makes sense to have more restrictions. I have a nice asphalt trail which I usually only use for LRs because it’s about 2.5 miles & a busy street crossing to get there. But it’s probably safer than my neighborhood because it’s about twice as wide as the sidewalk, and very few people use it. Neighborhood sidewalk involves repeated games of chicken with oncoming runners, pedestrians, & dog-walkers. Reverse chicken usually - a game to see who can get out of the way first.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

In anticipation of things getting even more crowded and unmanageable and unsafe, I rented a treadmill for 3 months - it's currently sitting in an awkward space (which is why it is a rental, not a purchase).    It's nice to have it as an option if things get worse, and in the meantime we can also entertain ourselves by teaching the cats to walk on it.

Wow, I didn’t think I’d ever see those words posted by you!  I used to have a home treadmill years ago,  but got rid of it as it was mental torture...BUT I can go 20+ miles on the gym treadmill no problem as it’s busy and there’s a nice sea view.    I find that a footpod helps give better accuracy rather than just relying on the watch accelerometer.

What annoys me is when you get dogs on those long extendable leads and they’re all over the place.....which means you either have to stop dead, or jump over the thing.

Marky_Mark_17

Mikkey - god yeah I hate those long leashes.  Particularly when the owners are totally oblivious to anyone else on the footpath and aren't aware (or don't care) they're holding a tripwire.

Me - definitely felt the after-effects of last weekend's race.  Motivation a bit low too, but just gotta stay focused and keep logging the training... races will happen again, it's just a question of when, and I still need to take down that damn marathon PB of mine.  I will have to substitute some body weight training in to my program since the gyms are shut now.  This week was a bit lighter but with no races coming up I probably won't crank the mileage quite as hard as I would've been.

Likely marathon now is Rotorua Marathon in late September, which was rescheduled from May.  It doubles as NZ Marathon Champs this year and is probably the most famous marathon in the country.  The course basically goes all the way around a lake, it is a little hilly though so not as quick as Christchurch would have been.  Oh well, all of Christchurch's entries got rolled through to next year so I'm guess I'm doing that too haha.

M: 4.1km easy, weights

T: 14km easy

W: 14.5km with short intervals

T: 14.5km easy

F: core, foam rolling

S: 11.8km track session

S: 26.2km long run

Total: 85.2km / 53 miles

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Continuing is one thing. 
                                Starting now that it is one of the only reasons to get outside is another. 
                                It seems like an 80% chance I’ll hear her/she’s is friendly’ between frequent yelling of the animal’s name.  I’m glad they’re friendly. I’ll make sure to tell you my kid is friendly when he rides a bike in the street you’re trying to drive in.

doesnt matter. People care more about getting outside and not being disrupted than they do preventing the spread of COVID 19. So I continue to go where the majority isn’t. Something I’m more accustomed to on my ‘regularly scheduled programming’ of runs.

Dogs off leash ALWAYS piss me off, now is no different in that respect. But I see no problem with people continuing to do their thing outside as long as they keep their spacing. More difficult in more heavily populated areas like NYC of course, so it makes sense to have more restrictions. I have a nice asphalt trail which I usually only use for LRs because it’s about 2.5 miles & a busy street crossing to get there. But it’s probably safer than my neighborhood because it’s about twice as wide as the sidewalk, and very few people use it. Neighborhood sidewalk involves repeated games of chicken with oncoming runners, pedestrians, & dog-walkers. Reverse chicken usually - a game to see who can get out of the way first.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22