2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah I mean I'm leaving in the sense that I'm not running a marathon the rest of this year, unless I just feel like going up to Boston to hobby jog in September, although without a room not sure how that'll happen. I'll be sure to throw in any training advice I can give if people are asking though.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Yeah I mean I'm leaving in the sense that I'm not running a marathon the rest of this year, unless I just feel like going up to Boston to hobby jog in September, although without a room race not sure how that'll happen. I'll be sure to throw in any training advice I can give if people are asking though.

FYP, probably.

Dave

Joann Y

FYP, probably.

Yeah, time to brace up for no more racing for the rest of this year. Probably.

Well obviously no one here is marathon training anymore, so no reason for you to leave.

In the end, it's all marathon training, whether you run that marathon this year or the next.  Or the year after next, and the year af...well, you get the idea.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

In the end, it's all marathon training, whether you run that marathon this year or the next.  Or the year after next, and the year af...well, you get the idea.

Plus you can still be training for 5k marathons.

Dave

Plus you can still be training for 5k marathons.

You're speaking the truth!

If there's one thing we're learning from this, it's that NOP and Alberto are, once again, proven to be ahead of the training curve:

That's from 2011!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hah!  I actually own that same pollen mask, in red.  I tried running with it, but found it impossible to do so.  It has gotten a second life as my choice of attire when going to the grocery store, etc.

(and before everyone gives me crap - yes, I know that a pollen mask will not prevent COVID 19 viruses from slipping through.  But...if I'm unknowingly an asymptomatic carrier, it makes me a bit less risky to others.)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

LetsRun going bankrupt?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

LetsRun going bankrupt?

(check the date)

((they got me too))

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

(check the date)

((they got me too))

I didn't notice the date, but I did ask my wife if she thought it was an April Fools joke...."It's not funny."

Running Problem

Problem Child

Kilian Jornet also decide to take up fishing.

https://youtu.be/9cShs3CbEhY

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah, time to brace up for no more racing for the rest of this year. Probably.

Good timing, BAA just sent out an email asking if I want a refund. I will definitely be taking that choice.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - that's the whole point - to increase percentage of idiotic training,  though, it's not too idiotic - I had much worse case during Aug-Sep 2016 - but that ended in some injury because I added workouts to the high mileage I ran those two months. This time I am trying to base my pace completely on how my body feels - and I felt really bad last few days last week - so, I am definitely cutting down on mileage this week. But you also taking your training on another level - 13 miles for the whole last week? Are you out of motivation or some bodily issues? I do not feel comfortable knowing my main opponent rests while I am running all those high mileage weeks Smile

I’m only running when I feel like it (and 13 miles was all I felt like running last week)  My heel spur won’t miraculously disappear so I don’t see the point in aggravating it unnecessarily when there are no races to train for. I can easily BQ in the August marathon I’m registered for and then train hard for London in October. But I’m 99% certain that neither race will happen. But, I’m keeping up with the strength training and not getting fat. 👍

Our government is starting to come under fire as they’ve been so pathetic in getting enough PPE for the front line workers....and they’ve been bullshitting about why they haven’t been able to do enough testing....Germany are doing 80k tests per day and we can’t even manage 1/10th of that!  The cops have been given more powers and some have been starting to act like dicks with one force sending drones up to spy on ramblers and then ‘lockdown shame’ them on their cop Twatter account because it wasn’t an essential journey. WTF is wrong with driving a few miles so that you can walk/exercise in a less crowded area?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Miles 4-6: 5:40, 5:40, 5:49

Mile 4 was bad. Like, what am I doing out here bad. You make the turnaround at 3.25 miles in, and right when I turned around, I started to feel like shit. I came through in 5:40, but I immediately started having the "this is not sustainable, this is not your day" thoughts. Perhaps even worse, the point to go back to the start was quickly approaching within mile 5, and I seriously considered bailing. But I did a little negotiating in my head and it went like this: "If you keep running sub 5:50, you need to keep going, because that's PR pace. If you fall off of that and go above 5:50, you can quit." When mile 5 came in at 5:40, it actually gave me a big boost, because I said "you know what, you can actually let off the gas just a tiny bit, and you're going to be okay."

I will say, I have never had a dark thought that early in a race. But, some of that is probably the time trial aspect, where it's just so easy to bail out. It's weird: I know in a marathon that I'm going to go into a rough patch somewhere in the first half of the race. I prepare for that, and when it happens, I just ignore it. But this one really seemed to get to me. It's a good personal takeaway for me, and probably the biggest thing I learned from this half. We've talked in these forums about why you need to race, and this is a perfect example of that: I've run 20+ half marathons all out, and yet it took me until this one to realize this.

Finally, one other thing that motivated me: my wife said she would wait with the the dog at the turnaround point around mile 9. I wanted to get to them and not leave her stranded. So that probably helped as well

This part is very important I can't tell you how many sub 3ers would give up here and in the marathon its about double the distance usually at mile 7. I got a lot of flack for saying they lacked mental toughness but this is a common part of racing. The body is built to avoid stress and its natural for your body to try to get out of an all out effort (self preservation)we're wired that way and you get these mental thoughts where you start to doubt your fitness or even if your body is going to cooperate. Throw in a warmer than usual Boston or some other factor and the number of people bailing is unbelievable, no gutting it out just throw in the towel. Jog it in, Really glad you stuck to your guns and exhibited mental toughness. There were a slew of people from the old thread that would throw in the towel here . Truth is we all experience this to some degree and how you handle this part of the race is very important. To be honest I have lots of struggles around mile 14 when the freshness and realization that there are still two full 10ks to go.    Great time trial report, thanks for sharing.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

When I say "give up" to "Throw in the towel" I don't necessarily mean quit but a variation of things back off their prescribed pace, settle for a slower pace "tempo it" etc, etc.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.