2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

At some point, this year or next, everybody will get it because it's a virus and that's how viruses work I believe...

That’s what I thought and the idea of social distancing is to spread out the cases so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed and to buy them time. I think some people will be so paranoid that they’ll continue social distancing even when restrictions have been lifted.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Another 2am, after-the-covid-shift, bourbon-drinking post...

- getting a light (or asymptomatic) case is COMMON and a GOOD thing.

- it spreads like crazy... plenty of people spread it without any symptoms.

- men>women, heavy>slim, older>younger

- in my experience, immune suppression (cancer, steroids, transplants, etc) doesn't seem to be a problem.  (surprisingly)

- Hassidic Jews in Brooklyn are currently getting slammed (lack of social distancing?)

- Plenty of young (>30), healthy adults get bad cases for no apparent reason... BAD LUCK IS A MAJOR FACTOR

- Once on a vent, it's GRIM.  Weeks of complications. Rarely turning around.  No family visits. Tons of ICU/vent cases with poor prognosis willl be the major story.  Expect DELAYED death tolls.

Does being a runner help?? Does it help you mitigate colds or flu?  Maybe a little...

If I start to sound like Nils, call Bellevue.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Some of best posts on RA are after drinking, so I approve . Plus, if anyone needs it, it's our front line workers at this point.

Anyway, you've made some grade points here. I have a friend who works in the Monte system in the Bronx and has pretty much said exactly everything you are saying (even the immune one, which seems to be because a lot of people in really bad positions are having overreactions from their immune system. I even heard there was a study out of China showing smokers came out better because of that!)

The biggest thing they need to figure out, after working on a vaccine of course, is what that "luck" factor is that you mentioned. There has to be something underlying that we just haven't pinpointed. I've heard speculation it could be blood type, but at this point, every single person has an opinion about COVID so who knows what is real. But I think figuring that out is going to be really important for phase 2 of this, which will not just be "everything is back to normal!" It's going to be a modified social distancing, where healthier people or those who have already had it and are immune are back to work, while others are kept isolated until a vaccine is developed. Unfortunately at this point, given how much it has spread in the USA, I don't see "tracking and tracing" being a realistic option, but hopefully I'm wrong!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

At some point, this year or next, everybody will get it because it's a virus and that's how viruses work I believe...

You can't get it if you stay away from people. If my favorite scientist would chime in here (she never comes around these parts anymore) we could learn all about how a virus spreads, and how to contain the spread of the virus.  Trying to social distance as much as possible is working. Martial Law needs to come into the States with over 1,000 cases so the residents can't leave so the REST of the country is saved. Sorry Utah, Alabama, Mississippi, New York and Washington, you're being quarantined so the rest of the country doesn't get sick. Deal with it. No one in or out. Oklahoma you're free to move about the country. Does not include Hawaii and Alaska.

I also wonder how this will change people's behaviors in general: how quickly will people go back to jamming into a concert arena, or cramming into a subway? I don't know.

It won't change anything. Massive public gatherings are what people are missing most. Marathons, concerts, airplane trips, sports ball games, tours of national monuments and boat rides for 3-10 days, etc. You think people are going to stand even 3 feet apart in line anywhere, or act like they're concerned about spreading infectious diseases? Not even at the doctors office.

Honestly...

Just shut the country down. Close the gas stations, close the hardware stores, and close the post office. Everyone gets federally rationed food and cleaning supplies delivered to them until this shit blows over and we can all go back to our regularly scheduled programming. Its' for the children and the safety of our nation. My state has already enacted the National Guard to deliver supplies. Have them drive up and down the streets like garbage trucks and drop off your weekly ration.

"We are a nation built on the strength of individual initiative.  But there are certain things that we can't do on our own.  There are certain things that only a government can do.  And one of those things is ensuring that the foods we eat, and the medicines we take, are safe and don't cause us harm.

https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/2020/03/15/paul-weiss-brad-karp-we-need-obama-bush-and-clinton-to-beat-the-coronavirus/?slreturn=20200303123422

It has never been more important than right now to put politics aside and move forward in a bipartisan manner, working together, side by side, across the aisle, deploying every resource at our nation’s disposal to craft a solution to this crisis of unimaginable enormity.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

You can't get it if you stay away from people. If my favorite scientist would chime in here (she never comes around these parts anymore) we could learn all about how a virus spreads, and how to contain the spread of the virus.  Trying to social distance as much as possible is working. Martial Law needs to come into the States with over 1,000 cases so the residents can't leave so the REST of the country is saved. Sorry Utah, Alabama, Mississippi, New York and Washington, you're being quarantined so the rest of the country doesn't get sick. Deal with it. No one in or out. Oklahoma you're free to move about the country. Does not include Hawaii and Alaska.

Brew, are you on drugs? You often talks things I could not understand (I guess, cultural differences), but this is the biggest nonsense from you I've ever read. Or again, maybe I just don't understand what you are trying to say - which is a possibility.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

To me, it is interesting that there are tens of thousands of New Yorkers who are likely immune already.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew, are you on drugs? You often talks things I could not understand (I guess, cultural differences), but this is the biggest nonsense from you I've ever read. Or again, maybe I just don't understand what you are trying to say - which is a possibility.

RLK is a scientist who would know about viruses based on the company she works for...kind of.

The states I listed have less than 1,000 cases.

The phrase "You are now free to move about the country" is Southwest Airlines tagline phrase, or was, on commercials at some point.

"Alaska and Hawaii not included" comes from all commercials talking about sales and/or free shipping. I wrote it incorrectly becuase I coulnd't remember it until right this moment. My wife grew up in Alaska so I didn't pay attention to how often "does not include Alaska or Hawaii" was in commercials until I started dating her. They also have less than 200 confirmed cases in both those states.

My birthday will mark just about 46 weeks sober so no drugs. I miss them a lot. (EDIT: Mostly I miss the smell of cocaine.) I had a lot of good times with them. At least I don't need to worry about stores cutting off alcohol sales, or states not allowing "to go" sales of alcohol. Nevada's Governor said breweries aren't allowed to sell anything anymore because they were asking too many questions about what he allowed with "to go" sales for small businesses.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

To me, it is interesting that there are tens of thousands of New Yorkers who are likely immune already.

I keep thinking that it would be fascinating to get everyone tested for antibodies, and to see how many are already immune.  If we find that 50, 60, 70% of the country has already been exposed, doesn't that change the calculus about stay-at-home?

It's ironic, because it seems that so many are focused on testing for whether one currently has the disease - which is helpful from the standpoint of understanding the disease and isolating the sick but (in my understanding) makes little to no difference in how patients are treated.  Arguably testing for whether one has already had it is the more important test.

About differential effect on different parts of the population - I found this article interesting.  My (uneducated and oversimplified) understanding of it: COVID 19 is believed to infect people through binding with ACE2.  However, there are two types of ACE2.  People with inflammatory bowel disease tend to have a lot of a second type of ACE2 - one that might actually interfere with the virus binding to the normal type of ACE2, possibly limiting COVID 19 infection in that population.

I've also read elsewhere that this ACE2 pathway might explain why those with hypertension may be at higher risk, and perhaps even the difference between male and female outcomes.  This article suggests that possibly the damage to the lungs from COVID 19 is the result of ACE2 getting bound up by COVID19, so that ACE2 can't do its job.  And thus, having more ACE2 might actually be protective, since then you still have some of it to do what it needs to do.

(I understand that women tend to have more ACE2, since its expression is linked to the X chromosome.  ACE2 expression apparently also decreases with age)

I'm left with the overarching impression that while there are no clear answers yet (just a lot of possiblys and a lot of armchair scientists like myself.... ), we are learning more every day, with a lot of very smart minds working on this.  Which is a great argument for social distancing.  Even if you are going to get it eventually, every week that you delay getting it is a week that we learn more about it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also, I think I owe Rovatti a round of drinks the next time I come up to NYC.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Also, I think I owe Rovatti a round of drinks the next time I come up to NYC.

From your post to God's ears!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

If Brew was the POTUS I think daily briefings would be compulsive viewing. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

If Brew was the POTUS I think daily briefings would be compulsive viewing. 

I wouldn’t hold them. Just let the media tell the story they want the public to hear.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Our PM Boris is still recovering from coronavirus, but your President tested negative and here’s what he had to say about it...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4QisZthM4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Our PM Boris is still recovering from coronavirus, but your President tested negative and here’s what he had to say about it...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4QisZthM4

Boris seems to have been quite silent recently, so I'm guessing his case has not been asymptomatic?

(I watch Sky News a lot - I like to watch non-US news on my Roku for the different perspective)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Boris seems to have been quite silent recently, so I'm guessing his case has not been asymptomatic?

(I watch Sky News a lot - I like to watch non-US news on my Roku for the different perspective)

Yeah I like the Sky news which is more neutral than other channels. Boris apparently has mild symptoms, but still doing Skype meetings. Our Health Secretary of State (Matt Hancock) also had it, but was back in the spotlight yesterday evening after a week off. It’s kind of ironic that only a few weeks ago they were both telling the public what we should be doing to avoid catching the virus.