2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Weekly for period: From: 30/03/2020 To 05/04/2020

Date Name Distance Duration Average Pace Elevation Gain Link to Strava Activity
    30/03/2020 Day 5: Grumpy Greenhithe, where only 5 out of 7 runners/walkers/cyclists said hi 8.0 37:44 04:43/km 133 Link
    31/03/2020 Day 6: Coastal walkway tempo. One of those perfect running mornings that Autumn often brings 👌 14.1 58:42 04:10/km 152 Link
    01/04/2020 Day 7: Upper Harbour Drive DIY Pruning Man has done us all a great service 18.3 24:00 04:35/km 225 Link
    02/04/2020 Day 8: Let’s not forget I was running around in circles in the dark by myself before isolation was a thing 12.2 45:21 03:43/km 13 Link
    03/04/2020 Day 9: I admire running streaks, but they're not my thing 0.0 45:00 NaN:NaN/km 0 Link
    04/04/2020 Day 10: Not the Southern Lakes Half Marathon 13.0 58:19 04:29/km 233 Link
    05/04/2020 Day 11: Why did the pukeko cross the road? 32.0 16:34 04:16/km 341 Link

Total distance: 97.6km (~60 miles)

Pretty good week - legs actually felt back to normal after feeling pretty beaten up the previous week following the 10,000m race.  It's just getting through the work at the moment, I guess.  Pushed the tempo for about 45 minutes of my long run today, which wasn't too bad - except for the fact that 2 of the 3 water fountains I stopped at were either turned off or taped over!!  Oh well, it's getting cooler here now so I don't really need them as much.

(for those on the forum who aren't from NZ... the day count is count of lockdown days so far.  Hopefully it ends at 28...)

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Another 2am dispatch (margarita-fueled this time) -

- definitely SLOWER in the ER compared to last week... most problems now are hundreds of ICU vent cases

- spooky seeing a bunch of refrigerator trucks by the M.E.'s office (hidden from public view)

- Vent cases (BAD LUCK) are VERY GRIM (long, poor prognosis).  Think ahead if you'd want this and communicate with spouse or family. I recommend DNI (do not intubate) for middle-agers (like me), unless some effective treatments are discovered.

- tons of good will pouring into the hospitals (free food, etc).  Some colleagues are milking it too much (gettting "first responder" discounts on all kinds of things).   BAD KARMA, IMO.  More $ should be directed to people who have lost their incomes.  Cuomo is also milking it too much.

Good night!

Running Problem

Problem Child

CNN said they're sending 1,000 troops to New York to setup hospital beds somewhere and treat like 2,500 people a day. The reporter was talking about how empty the streets are and all I could think was "now if only they would have done this a month ago." Also "I wonder how many people are talking about the response times compared to 'normal' right now."

The gloves I use for turning wrenches on my vehicles are not available on amazon. They're reserved for medical professionals. I'm more tolerant of an item being out of stock for THIS reason over thinking it's people buying $20 packs of 100 gloves so they can keep going outside.

rovatti bad karma for sure. Never let a crisis go to waste, right? Kumo isn't the only one.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Mark- Way to get back to work on the miles after the 10k...what is the training plan going forward? Aim for something in your spring?

My week.  90.44.  Had some watch issues today as it was super low on battery.  in a 17:35 5k in our team segment challenge....and then did a 800m but the GPS didn't line up and my legs were pretty pooped the second half of my long run today after the wasted effort.  Womp Womp.  Pretty happy on the week.  Just grinding easy miles and some up tempo work.

M 3/30/20 8.34 0:58:03 Busted out a new pair of New Balance 890. Been trying other shoes, but this is my 34th pair of 890's and I really like the new version. I always feel super quick in them, but there is limited padding. Felt really good to be able to run healthy. Just beautiful out.
              6 0:42:54 Felt good. Mixed striders into last mile. 6x100
          T 3/31 11.13 1:20:29 Felt really good. Ran it with the dog. Got pretty upset with people walking 4 people wide on the path and bikers on the path going super fast with their heads down and then having to swerve cause they are not paying attention. People making it as hard as possible to socially distance.
          W 4/1 9.44 1:05:07 10 x 400m @ 5:35-5:40/mi (1:24-1:25/400) w/ 400 recovery (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d) Felt good. Ran it on a track 1:23.15 average with a goal of 1:23-1:24. 1:20.3 1:24.9 1:24.4 1:21.8 1:25.0 1:24.2 1:22.8 1:24.1 1:23.1 1:20.9
          Th 4/2 11.17 1:26:56 Took it very slowly. Lower left back pretty stiff today. Foam rolled and trying to get it to loosen, but it just feels very tight every morning
          F 4/3 4.04 0:30:27 Ran over lunch...trying to get excited to run the 9 miler with 5k segment this evening...motivation is low. Getting pelted with snow, sleet, and wind didn't help
              10.12 1:08:17 Took at shot at the 5k. 3.5 mile warm up including strides, 17:35 on the 5k segment, 3 mile and change cool down. Cranked it with all I had. Considering i'm approaching 90 miles on the week and felt like crap durin the 4 mile lunch run not to shabby. Mid 30's for temp. Really tried to grind up Itasca hill and push hard through finish. 
          Sa 4/4 12.02 1:31:38 Uff da. Felt the 5k yesterday starting at mile 6. Slowed down to make it recovery. Beautiful outside
          Su 4/5 18.18 2:03:38 Ran up Minnehaha and over to the lakes and back. GPS had me a tad north of reality so i didn't hit the C'ville west 800 segment. Very annoyed since my legs were already a little trashy. Otherwise perfect day for perfect run. Went long because it was to nice out.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

madisonrunner

DPS - nice week and nice 5k.  Ever consider running a bit slower on easy days?  Looks like most of your runs are low 7 pace.  With your high mileage a little slower may help you recover more.  I run similar mileage but my easy days are generally low 8 pace, especially the first several miles.

Green Bay Marathon is now officially cancelled too.  So I'm starting my taper today and am planning on a marathon time trial April 25 or 26.

My week:

M - 11 / 5

T - 14 w/ 7 mile LT @ 5:30 pace

W - 10

R - 15 / 5

S - 22 (6:40s first 17, 6:10s last 5)

S - 7

Total - 102

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Madison- I'm working on it. A lot were on treadmill all winter so I was just trying to knock then out. As I pick up my intervals faster, my easy days are slowing down. Also depends if I have my dog with me. Her ideal pace is about 6:50, so if I take her with me, my easy day becomes after as she will drag me by my waist on the leash.  When I wasn't doing anything fast than half marathon pace, I could move pretty quick on easy days. After thr 400 workout my next day was definitely slower closer to 8 than 7.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

DPS - looking like a September combo of National Road Race Champs (10k) and then Rotorua Marathon, if events are happening by then.  Rotorua isn't the fastest course around (it has a few hills) but it's also National Marathon Champs so there is that.  Have you got any races in mind for later in the year?

Madison - a marathon TT... wow.  I will actually seriously consider doing that as well if there aren't any viable marathons to race this year.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Rovatti - thanks for the post.  Raised the DNI point with my parents this afternoon (don't have an answer yet); am going to bring it up to my sig other tonight.

MarkyMark - I got all intimidated by your mileage until I realized it was kilometerage....

DPS - quite a hard week there.  I've heard that having a dog pull you can really alter the intensity and pace of a run.

Madison - sorry about Green Bay.  I know this is pretty much routine at this point, but it still sucks.

I have to admit, I'm still holding out hope that there will be racing this year.  We just don't know what's going to happen, and though things may continue to get worse and endure, they may also shift.  So much is changing every week.  (and hoping that there will be late summer and fall racing does not change what I am doing now at all, so there's no downside or cost to hope).

My week:

64 miles, 8 miles of walking
                  M: 3 mile walk, live streaming yoga, upper body weights/ core.
                  T: 14.5 miles, including an alternating short hill/short tempo/interval workout. Ran two short hill repeats in roughly 70 seconds with 2:30 recovery, then 1.5 miles at 6:30 pace. Another two 70 second hill repeats, then a mile at 6:27 pace. Another two short hill repeats, and a half-mile in 2:57. Followed with leg strengthwork. (this was supposed to be two repeats of 1.5 miles, but some emergency bathroom breaks forced a change)
                  W: 4 miles on treadmill (9:27), live streaming yoga, and 8.5 miles on treadmill (9:01)
                  Th: Upper body weights/core and 5 mile walk.
                  F: 12 miles - 3 miles jog to the hill, followed by 3 miles jog home after realizing hill is closed. Swapped to the treadmill for a "hill workout" of 6 sets of:
                  -2:00 strong effort at 3.0 incline (anywhere from 7:30 down to 6:20 pace, before adjusting for incline)
                  -1:30 easy effort at 0.5 incline
                  -0:30 fast effort at 0.5 (getting to sub-6:00 pace)
                  -1:00 easy effort at 0.5 incline.
                  Felt like it got the job done.
                  Sa: 10.5 miles on treadmill (8:50) and live streaming yoga.
                  Su: 14 miles progressive, split as first 4 averaging 9:15; next 5 averaging 7:40; last 5 averaging 6:59, plus half mile cooldown.  Later upper and lower body weights and core.

Pretty much in a holding pattern, with hills, steady mileage, and some aerobic work.  I can hold this routine for many months if need be without frying or peaking, and it keeps me strong (and entertained).  Once it looks like races are starting to happen, I'll shift into more specific training.

SI/back issues are pretty much cleared and I've been pain-free since Wednesday, which is awesome.  The SI/back issue is a large part of why I'm continuing to train the way I am - that hill work is a large part of getting and keeping me healthy.  Pulling back hard on the training (or alternately, shifting to just easy miles) is likely to provoke a relapse.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Our PM Boris is still recovering from coronavirus,...

Hospitalized now... and I bet they would've brought a doctor (with oxygen) to him before putting him in.

planning on a marathon time trial April 25 or 26.

That’s gotta be brutal. What’s the plan for finding a course to run?

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hospitalized now... and I bet they would've brought a doctor (with oxygen) to him before putting him in.

Oooh...I see that they're describing it as "precautionary" but....I can't imagine that they would risk him going into a hospital unless his condition could absolutely not be managed in his residence.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

My week:

Mon - 8 easy

Tue - 8 with 3x800m + 3x400m

Wed - 10 easy

Thu - 8 easy

Fri - 5 easy

Sat - 5k track time trial

Sun - 10 easy

Total = 58 miles

Comments

- Tuesday was my standard 5k race week workout, 4 days before the race. Recoveries half the distance of the reps. Target 5k pace or a bit faster; it went as planned.

- Time trial run in 19:44. My PR is 19:53, so I was very happy with that. Also happy with the splits: 6:17, 6:18, 6:15, last bit at 5:37. My main concern was holding the pace for mile 3 without being pushed by a race environment. Or for that matter mile 2 - often that’s my slowest. Clearly I was able to hold it throughout, and felt great. I realize the track is probably a bit faster than the road in general, but I so wish I could put it to the test. Today would have been 4 weeks out from my marathon, and I’d be ready to kill that thing. Alas.

Dave

Mark: Nice week. I hope your fall marathon is not cancelled; really want to see you destroy that marathon PB!

Rovatti: Keep fighting the good fight.

DPS: Huge week; seems almost like too much, but maybe because my motivation is low for workouts lately. Your dog is very impressive. My goldens start out pushing the pace but that only lasts for about half a mile. And they are only up for about 3 miles max running.

Madison: Kudos for plowing ahead with the marathon TT. I was thinking about this on my run today. Like DW, I really hope fall marathons are not cancelled, but in case they are I think I would consider a TT.

DW: Great news that your back/SI issue is resolved! BTW, I like how you list your music for the treadmill runs on strava. I'm usually watching youtube videos of races (lots of Geb, Kenny, Tergat classics) but shift to music (concerts on youtube) for hard workouts.

Dave: Congrats on the 5k time trial!

I've been running just easy miles, and usually 3 or 4 days/week with my son. He tends to go faster than I would for easy pace so those runs have been dipping under 8 min pace which is rare for me, but with no workouts going on I can handle it. I may try to work in a tempo run or some long hill repeats this week to break things up a bit. I will probably just base/strength build until July, then start serious training for a (hopefully) October marathon.

M: 6 @ 8:37

T: 12 @ 7:51

W: 8.1 @ 8:05

T: 8.1 @ 8:56

F: 10 @ 7:49

S: 9 @ 7:47

S: 17 @ 8:12

70 miles total

2:52:16 (2018)

CalBears

Marky_Mark - good mileage. 6-7 years ago I thought running streaks are great, now I think they just make no sense and totally unnecessary.

Rovatty - that link to ventilators thing is really grim and sad and scary...

DPS - Great mileage! 5K Time Trial - sorry, I am afraid I will be seen as a bully again, but I honestly thought you would have something faster than 17:35 - sorry, but that is what I honestly thinking, though I understand you had 90 miles week.

madisson - great mileage with awesome 22 miler. Though I disagree to some point on your recommendation for easy paces for DPS. Saying you need to go down to 8 mpm just absolutely irrelevant. If you are talking about easy, you have to check with HR, that's where it is so useful - it might be that 7:30 is n easy pace for DPS, or it might be 8:30 - just a pace number doesn't mean much without connection to your HR. Marathon TT - I am thinking about it from time to time, will see, but not earlier than summer, maybe we will be more clear on the quarantine issue.

darkwave - good running week - though looks way too complicated to me Smile

DavePNW - nice week, congrats on unofficial 5K PR!

JTR - continue building - it's so great to see you running consistently without any problems.

My week was uneventful and I would say pretty good. Planned for 7 days of 11.7 miles per day but was re-routed by runs with my DD and unexpectedly came with a bigger week. Also managed to get two running tests - MAF test on Wednesday and Hadd's test on Friday - will try to compare these results with results in 4 weeks. I did once Hadd's test back in 2012 - from August to November, basically once per month and honestly didn't think much difference between August's and November's results.

Mon - 11.7 @8:21

Tue - 11.7 @8:27 / 2.2 @14:02 walk/run with DD

Wed - 11.7 @8:56 (MAF test)

Thu - 11.7 @8:44 / 3 @11:11 walk/run with DD

Fri - 11.7 @8:21 (Hadd test AM -

140bpm       150bpm.      160bpm.       170bpm

8:00             7:18             6:53              6:30

11.7 @9:04 with DD on a bike - PM

Sat - 12.5 @9:06

Sun - 12.5 @8:38

===

Total: 100.7 miles

431.3 miles for the month of March.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

DW- Impressed with the hill stuff.  I'm trying to psych myself up for hills and strength training but a lot of my routes i can run with less than 100 feet elevation change over the whole run...and it is easier not to...even though I know it is an area that used to be a strength, but now i really struggle.

Dave-Way to knock or a Time Trial PR.  When racing returns you may are going to be ready to blow some of them out of the water.

JT-  With kid (round 2) coming in June, I figure get in as good of shape as possible and grind the miles now, cause assuming we can run again in Late fall, I want to have a very strong base, so I can do more hard running with less miles going into my late Oct Marathon.  That way I don't have to be gone as much from my family.  So I'm getting it in while I can.  Plus it has returned to the Mid-40's-50 degrees out and after a very long winter, I'm just super happy to be outside.  I grew up with black labs who run like your goldens.  I have only run my dog into the ground 2-3 times and they were over 18 miles and pushing 6:40...and it was hot....she still wanted to play an hour later.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k