2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - doh! Why was the hill closed?  Part of a park or reserve that's shut at the moment?  I'm glad I'm not the only one that's still hopeful of races happening later in the year.

DPS - I have hills everywhere while I'm based from home at the moment.  Around the block (4 miles) is over 400 feet, hell just going out of my street up to the main road (less than half a mile) is almost 100 feet!  I miss flat stuff and kind of envy you (assuming you are not planning any races that include hills).

Rovatti - scary stuff.  Hope we don't get to that stage in New Zealand.

Dave - congrats on the TT, well done!!

Calbears - nice week, that is pretty much the model of consistency right there.

JTReeves - that's some solid base training, it must be nice to have some company for a change.  I'm generally a solo runner but it's nice to have friends (or family) to run with sometimes.  I was feeling a bit low on motivation a couple of weeks ago, but during last week's track session of all things, I made peace with the fact that in a worst case scenario, my next marathon might be Christchurch in June 2021 (the original goal race, a full year later than planned!) - and I'm OK with that.  Even more so if Cal, Mikkey, JMac and Piwi all decide to come along 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Calbears- completely fair. But I have really only been marathon training. Those are the fastest miles I have run in 5 years. I ran mostly 800 and 1500 college and xc....I used to have wheels. But being focused on the marathon, I am starting a block with more speed now.  Having not worked on speed and not being an inherently high milage person, I have really pounded the fast twitch out of my legs. Hopefully I can bring it back quickly now that my base is really strong.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave - doh! Why was the hill closed?  Part of a park or reserve that's shut at the moment?  I'm glad I'm not the only one that's still hopeful of races happening later in the year.

Honestly, I have no idea.  This is the view at the bottom of the hill - those gates were closed, which I took as meaning the memorial was off limits.  In this area, anywhere that people congregate has been getting coned off or gated without notice or warning, so I assumed it was more of the same.  It's not listed here as one of the closed NPS locations, but I sense updating that list is not a top priority.

Of course, I'm told by a friend on that Sunday it looked like the hill was open with tons of cars parked.   My hunch is that this is NOT because NPS decided to close it during weekday mornings but open it on weekend afternoons, but rather because some a$$hole decided to open the gates....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Honestly, I have no idea.  This is the view at the bottom of the hill - those gates were closed, which I took as meaning the memorial was off limits.  In this area, anywhere that people congregate has been getting coned off or gated without notice or warning, so I assumed it was more of the same.  It's not listed here as one of the closed NPS locations, but I sense updating that list is not a top priority.

Of course, I'm told by a friend on that Sunday it looked like the hill was open with tons of cars parked.   My hunch is that this is NOT because NPS decided to close it during weekday mornings but open it on weekend afternoons, but rather because some a$$hole decided to open the gates....

I'd interpret it as "no vehicular traffic. Just like ever other time I've run past, or around, a gate just like it. I might also have problems with authority and wait for them to tell me the moose out front should have told me the park was closed. (if you're not a Chevy Chase fan you won't get this reference).

Rovatti This the kind of discount you're talking about people taking advantage of? $0.50 off gas would make it the price I remember paying for my first tank.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'd interpret it as "no vehicular traffic. Just like ever other time I've run past, or around, a gate just like it. I might also have problems with authority and wait for them to tell me the moose out front should have told me the park was closed. (if you're not a Chevy Chase fan you won't get this reference).

I'm not usually into unquestioning acceptance of authority, but in this case...

a) all the local police are getting stretched thinner and thinner - I figure I don't need to waste their time by putting them into a position where they need to come tell me to stop doing my hill repeats.

b) runners are getting a really bad reputation around here, due to stunts like cutting through plastic barriers to access the closed track. I'd rather not risk being one more notch in the count of assholes.

If it appears that I am not supposed to be running somewhere, or that I am possibly not supposed to be running somewhere, I'm taking that as given until I get clarification otherwise.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I'm not usually into unquestioning acceptance of authority, but in this case...

a) all the local police are getting stretched thinner and thinner - I figure I don't need to waste their time by putting them into a position where they need to come tell me to stop doing my hill repeats.

b) runners are getting a really bad reputation around here, due to stunts like cutting through plastic barriers to access the closed track. I'd rather not risk being one more notch in the count of assholes.

If it appears that I am not supposed to be running somewhere, or that I am possibly not supposed to be running somewhere, I'm taking that as given until I get clarification otherwise.

Yeah especially these days, I prefer to err on the side of not being That Guy. And the more that larger gatherings develop due to people trying to skirt the rules, the more heavy-handed the restrictions will come down.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hospitalized now... and I bet they would've brought a doctor (with oxygen) to him before putting him in.

Maybe he should’ve been resting properly rather than trying to run the country at the same time as his stress levels must be pretty high.

Cal - That’s an impressive looking Hadd test...so would you reckon you’re in about low 2:50s shape now? Yikes!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Cal - That’s an impressive looking Hadd test...so would you reckon you’re in about low 2:50s shape now? Yikes!

Ha-ha-ha Mikkey - I wish I were in sub 2:50 shape, but I do not think so. Here are results from my 4 Hadd's tests in 2012, even before I had my first sub 3 marathon in March 2013 in Los Angeles (though, 7 or 8 weeks later I ran 2:55 on a different course - at the Avenue of the Giants).

130bpm.             140bpm           150bpm.          160bpm.        170bpm

07/12                     8:43.                   7:57.                7:20.                 6:51              6:34

08/12.                    8:59.                   8:11.                7:29                  7:00              6:40       

09/12.                    8:46.                   7:58.                7:25.                 6:57              6:27

11/12.                     8:41.                  8:01.                7:27.                 6:53              6:29

04/20.                                               8:00.                7:17.                 6:54.             6:29     

I just doubled check - my average marathon HR is 165.

Now, when I put all these numbers together, it's kind of doesn't make any sense - all 5 tests show pretty much the same numbers - but at least I can say I am somewhere in between 2:55 and sub 3 Smile Will probably do another test probably in 4 weeks to get an additional data point.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

weatherboy80

Rovatti: Glad to hear you are doing somewhat okay through all of this.  I still cannot believe we are stuck in this reality right now.

DW: Hope you are right and we can still get in some late races this year.  Just seeing the cancellations of other sporting events through the summer (I mean golf has changed or cancelled the majors right through the end of summer now). Solid looking week BTW.  I've added back EZ hills in the last few weeks myself.

Mark: Solid week!

DPS: Wow what a big looking week!

JT:  Sounds like you are getting some enjoyable runs at the moment.  Wow awesome that you get to run with your son!

Madison: A marathon TT will take a great deal of mentally energy and planning, but kudos if you do go through it!

Dave: Nice 5K time trial!

Cal: Huge looking month mileage wise!

Me: Not sure why but I'm still putting in some pretty high volume (for me anyways).  Got in just under 93 miles last week.  Not sure why but it helps keep my mind off my cancelled racing and I seem to have a bit of extra time each day.  I'm leaning towards attempting a 10K time trial next weekend to through some more excitement into the mix.  Based on my Saturday quality workout of 5 miles at low 6 pace followed by 4 miles at 5:40 pace within a 20 mile effort on Saturday thinking I could knock on the door of my PB if I got out at close to upper 5:2x pace within the 10K.  Doing that solo will take some effort though.  Also thinking of chasing a 1 mile TT in the next few weeks as well.  Not sure I wanna endure that kind of pain, but it would be interesting to see where am at Wink

Stay safe out there!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

OMR

cal:  this is not a criticism or anything, just a curiosity question, because i haven't done the MAF or HADD tests...

does the fact that it is 8 years later, and that you are...umm...not in your 30s...factor into this at all?  do you know if your HRmax has dropped, or is it the same as it was in 2012?  i guess my question is (sort of)...how does running 6:29 @ 170bpm at your age in 2012 compare to running 6:29 @ 170bpm at your age in 2020?  not that you're going to recall what that felt like or anything, but as data, does running that pace 8 years later indicate that you are NOT in the same shape as 2012 because your HRmax has likely dropped a little?

Ha-ha-ha Mikkey - I wish I were in sub 2:50 shape, but I do not think so. Here are results from my 4 Hadd's tests in 2012, even before I had my first sub 3 marathon in March 2013 in Los Angeles (though, 7 or 8 weeks later I ran 2:55 on a different course - at the Avenue of the Giants).

07/12                     8:43.                   7:57.                7:20.                 6:51              6:34

08/12.                    8:59.                   8:11.                7:29                  7:00              6:40       

09/12.                    8:46.                   7:58.                7:25.                 6:57              6:27

11/12.                     8:41.                  8:01.                7:27.                 6:53              6:29

04/20.                                               8:00.                7:17.                 6:54.             6:29     

Now, when I put all these numbers together, it's kind of doesn't make any sense - all 5 tests show pretty much the same numbers - but at least I can say I am somewhere in between 2:55 and sub 3 Smile Will probably do another test probably in 4 weeks to get an additional data point.

OMR

rovatti:  what is your bourbon of choice?  i'm going to have to buy some and have a drink (or 12) in your honor...

Another 2am, after-the-covid-shift, bourbon-drinking post...

- getting a light (or asymptomatic) case is COMMON and a GOOD thing.

- it spreads like crazy... plenty of people spread it without any symptoms.

- men>women, heavy>slim, older>younger

- in my experience, immune suppression (cancer, steroids, transplants, etc) doesn't seem to be a problem.  (surprisingly)

- Hassidic Jews in Brooklyn are currently getting slammed (lack of social distancing?)

- Plenty of young (>30), healthy adults get bad cases for no apparent reason... BAD LUCK IS A MAJOR FACTOR

- Once on a vent, it's GRIM.  Weeks of complications. Rarely turning around.  No family visits. Tons of ICU/vent cases with poor prognosis willl be the major story.  Expect DELAYED death tolls.

Does being a runner help?? Does it help you mitigate colds or flu?  Maybe a little...

If I start to sound like Nils, call Bellevue.

rovatti:  what is your bourbon of choice?  i'm going to have to buy some and have a drink (or 12) in your honor...  

Hey OMR!!

I'm not so particular about which bourbon.

Next time I'm in Bemidji.. or is it Grand Forks?  or is it Fargo?... I'll buy you a round. 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Your average MP HR is a bit higher than my 160bpm....so I’d say you’re at least in 2:55 shape. I don’t underestimate the value of high easy mileage...I ran my half PR after a 400+ easy miles month...and my 10k PR was during the MIDDLE of a 400+ easy miles month. Maybe I could’ve run faster at those distances if I was that bothered...but I’ve only ever seen them as tune up races!

Does Max HR fall as you get older? I don’t know....average HR in my PR marathon last year was the same as my first sub 3 back in 2010.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

cal:  this is not a criticism or anything, just a curiosity question, because i haven't done the MAF or HADD tests...

does the fact that it is 8 years later, and that you are...umm...not in your 30s...factor into this at all?  do you know if your HRmax has dropped, or is it the same as it was in 2012?  i guess my question is (sort of)...how does running 6:29 @ 170bpm at your age in 2012 compare to running 6:29 @ 170bpm at your age in 2020?  not that you're going to recall what that felt like or anything, but as data, does running that pace 8 years later indicate that you are NOT in the same shape as 2012 because your HRmax has likely dropped a little?

OMR, I do not see any criticism anywhere in your question - would love to have some though Smile Hard to answer your question as I didn't run 5K for 4 years by now, so, can't say what my MAX HR is currently - you might be right and it might be a little bit lower 8 years later. Of course I do not remember how it felt in 2012 to run at 170bpm, but I somehow remember it didn't feel easy. Though it was long long time ago. I felt fine running at 170bpm this time, but definitely cannot imagine running at it for 26 miles. But as I remember it always feels this way when you in a middle of a hight mileage cycle. Also, it needs to be mentioned that back that time in 2012 I was running pretty high mileage too and it was fairly consistent.

Mikkey - it's actually fun to run a PR race amidst of high mileage weeks - I had few PRs like that too - I think I ran my best 50K trail race when I was averaging something like 110+ mpw and was recovering from high hamstring injury Smile I would like to believe that I am in 2:55 shape - I am going to be more certain in a few weeks when I hope to start running some 10 milers at 155bpm and see how easy (or hard) it feels - just like Hadd prescribed Smile I really hope not to repeat my past time errors adding workouts to high mileage this time and just to rely in that mileage only. And I really hope one day we will be able to race again - though the more time goes on the less optimistic I am (of course, the races will be on one day - just how long we will have to wait? Sad

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

In light of new information....yeah don't continue being an asshole outside of dreaming of overuse injuries for assholes. There are buildings dedicated to people who challenged the law enforcement authorities to a race. Not too many people can outrun a Motorola.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22