2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Security guards need entertainment too!

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I think there is a difference between Canada and China. Also Canada is sending us parts and thing we need, while China was seizing property of American companies. If you can't tell the difference in those situations, I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, and it's causing a problem with farmers trying to hire international workers. Food is literally going bad due to a 14 day mandatory quarantine AND farmers still have to pay their workers for no work.

Marky Mark honestly....I had a response typed up and deleted it. COVID 19 isn't worth discussing at this point. It does nothing for marathon training.

EDIT: DAMN. Maybe the the United States should do it like other countries too.

Oh wait...he did.

National Interest is funny. Trump does it and he's blasted by the Media. Australia does it and it's "National Security" and "protecting the country from international vultures."

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'd  worry about Brew, but I knew him long before COVID.  

It doesn't matter if you're in Reno or near Fargo (OMR) ... it's spreads like crazy for a couple of weeks before anyone gets sick.

My meniscus is bad (so I can't run).... so I go up to the rooftop and do pushups and planks.... I'd do on-line ZUMBA up there, but there's a security camera, and NOBODY NEEDS TO SEE THAT.

C’mon, I bet everyone on this thread would want to see a clip of you doing Zumba on the rooftop...maybe it could go viral??

“NYC DOCTOR DOING ZUMBA ON THE ROOFTOP WITH A BOTTLE OF WHISKY”

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

C’mon, I bet everyone on this thread would want to see a clip of you doing Zumba on the rooftop...maybe it could go viral??

“NYC DOCTOR DOING ZUMBA ON THE ROOFTOP WITH A BOTTLE OF WHISKY”

EXPOSED: the true cost to our country of the novel Coronavirus...

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I could even lend rovatti my Borat mankini if it’s hot in the city.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I could even lend rovatti my Borat mankini if it’s hot in the city.

Well KingDong set the bar pretty high... but maybe... if I can learn a couple of moves and get my hips to loosen up a bit...

Good night, everybody.

Resident Historian

Well KingDong set the bar pretty high... but maybe... if I can learn a couple of moves and get my hips to loosen up a bit...

Good night, everybody.

Zing! 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Marky_Mark_17

Another week in the bag.  Legs were pretty tired from last Sunday's long one for the early part of the week, but kind of came right by about Thursday.  Included some tempo stuff on Saturday's long one, not quite MP, but not far off, which was probably not a bad outcome given the ridiculous amount of elevation I seem to accumulate on practically every run at the moment (it ain't flat in Greenhithe).

The temptation to do something silly, like run 100 laps of my block, is starting to rise.

M: 7.6m recovery

T: 14.5km easy

W: 18.7km steady

T: 17.1km track session (this was a birthday session which totally coincidentally ended up being 1 lap per year plus a bonus! Plus some GPS drift too haha)

F: resistance work, core, stretching

S: 32.6km long run (incl. 2x30 min tempo)

S: 10.0km recovery

Total: 100km / 62 miles

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Mark- those splits of the last 3k of each tempo on Sat are moving pretty quick.  Nice job.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

slingrunner

Hey it's been a while, but checking back in.  I see all the talk here is corona.

Been dealing with 2 back-back injuries this year.  First couple months some bursitis that I couldn't shake, even with a cortisone shot, that cut my mileage down to almost nothing, and finally when I got back, took a nasty fall on trails nearly impaling my heart on a rock (I was fortunate to take the hit slightly on the side, but still broke 2 ribs) and had a very painful walk to the car.  The actual broken ribs weren't stopping me from running, but a nasty sneeze realigned my whole rib cage and it was a mess.

Getting mileage up a bit now, and on a whim decided to do 8 hours of "backyard quarantine ultra" today as I was following that intensely last weekend (ending was BS).  I was kind of amazed how well my legs handled it.  There's nothing else to do these days, so I'm contemplating trying a 24 hour 100 mile version on my treadmill.  I don't think I have the fitness for it yet though.

Sorry for everyone that lost out on their Spring marathons.  Tough times.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The temptation to do something silly, like run 100 laps of my block, is starting to rise.

Do you have any track marathons in NZ?  My last venture on a track was 105.5 laps, mostly in the 3rd lane!  It was actually a lot easier mentally compared to a low key country lane marathon....and yeah GPS is crazy on a track as my Garmin registered 28 miles. 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Sling - that sounds rough.  Glad you're on the upswing.

Marky_mark - lapping the block sounds like cabin fever, but I guess we all cope in our own ways.

re: the backyard quarantine ultra - the guy who won it, Michael Wardian, lives about a mile from me.  I resisted the urge to go find his loop and cheer him on, since that would have been a violation of the spirit of the quarantine (if not the letter, since I would have stayed an adequate distance away).

Nice news around here is that the mayor of Washington DC is starting to open up some areas specifically for runners and cyclists, to give more space.  She had closed down Hains Point (a popular loop) since it had been overrun by masses of people checking out the cherry blossoms.  But now the cherry blossoms are gone, and so she opened it back up to pedestrians and cyclists only.  There's another route, Beach Drive, that is normally reserved for pedestrians and cyclists on weekends, and used as a commuter route during the week.  She's just ordered that Beach Drive is now for pedestrians and cyclists during the week.

Cinnamon - hope you're doing OK.  I got faux-charged by a goose today, and it made me think of you, since as I recall you're no fan of geese.

My week:

62 miles, 9 miles of walking
                          M: live streaming yoga and 4 mile walk
                          T: 12 miles, including an alternating short hill/short tempo/interval workout on the treadmill. Two short hill repeats (4.5 incline) in 70 seconds, then 10 minutes at 6:30 pace. Another two 70 second hill repeats, then 10 minutes at 6:28 pace. Then a final two short hill repeats Followed with leg strengthwork. 2:30 jogging recovery after each hill or tempo segment.
                          W: 5 miles very easy on treadmill (9:03), live streaming yoga, and 7.5 miles very easy outside (8:47) plus drills and strides
                          Th: Upper body weights/core and 5 mile walk.
                          F: 12 miles including a treadmill "hill workout" of 8 sets of:
                          -2:00 strong effort at 3.0 incline
                          -1:30 easy effort at 0.5 incline
                          -0:30 fast effort at 0.5 incline
                          -1:00 easy effort at 0.5 incline.
                          Followed with leg strengthwork and the first 20 minutes of a streaming yoga class.
                          Sa: 10 miles very easy outside (9:08) plus drills and strides, live streaming yoga, and upper body weights/core.
                          Su: 14 miles progressive, split as first 4 averaging 9:07; next 4 averaging 7:36; last 6 averaging 6:55, plus 1.5 mile cooldown. Followed with streaming yoga class and leg strengthwork.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Marky_Mark - solid mileage week - can't comment on your workouts for two reasons - first, you are much faster than me - so I have no idea what your paces translate to, second - you don't share your paces - so, I have no idea what they are Smile

Darkwave - good mileage, as usual, relatively complex week - too much variation to my taste Smile

My week was pretty simple (no variation Smile :

Mon - off

Tue - 15.1 @8:41

Wed - 20.2 @9:00

Thu - 15.1 @9:27

Fri - 15.1 @8:57

Sat - 20.2 @8:45

Sun - 15.3 @ 8:29

===

Total: 101.1 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave - good mileage, as usual, relatively complex week - too much variation to my taste Smile

My week was pretty simple (no variation Smile :

Funny how different we are.  I like a routine, but I really need variation within that routine.  I think the reason I don't do well on 7 days a week is both physical and mental - I like some variation to keep me physically balanced and also mentally fresh.  But I know there are others that thrive on just throwing down the miles, like you.  Congrats on hitting 100!

Mark: Nice week; that long run was a killer, as was your birthday track session. Given your fitness I can see how you'd be thinking about a time trial or something more crazy. One of the runners I follow ran 50 km one day last week just for the heck of it.

DW: Looks like you're warming up to the treadmill! It can be great for hills, especially if you want the uphill work but not the downhill pounding.

Cal: Another big week! It becomes interesting each week to see what pattern you will follow: 13/5 doubles, 16/5 doubles, only 15 or 20 singles. But usually adding up to 100+ miles.

Another week of base building for me. I was paying attention to HR this week, trying to keep it 140 or less per the Hadd protocol, but on Friday's TM run felt like running quicker so did a 4 mile tempo segment. I'm not sure if I could stick totally to the Hadd program. I feel like I need at least some faster running once in a while. But I do appreciate the emphasis on HR for easy runs.

On another note, I was watching the World XC championships from years past and though I knew Paul Tergat had dominated that (he won 5 years in a row) I had never watched any of the races. Almost every year is on YouTube with good coverage of all the races (men's & women's junior and senior). It goes back to the 70's. Good material for treadmill runs. Anyway, I feel less sorry for Tergat always getting second place to Geb on the track, as he destroyed Geb and everyone else in the XC venue. I think it was 1996 he closed the race with a 2:29 second to last km. Geb was king of the track but Tergat ruled the country.

M: off

T: 14 @ 8:33

W: 10.4 @ 8:26

T: 10.6 @ 8:27

F: 12 @ 7:55 w/ 4 mi tempo @ 6:21

S: 10.3 @ 9:01 on trails

S: 20.1 @ 8:18

Total: 77.5 miles

2:52:16 (2018)