2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

And blondes are definitely better than brunettes...

*AHEM*

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

Yeah but 20x100 mile weeks would be pretty cool....sub 2:40? 

Whatever you drink MIkkey, you should think about changing it  5 years ago averaging 100 miles for 12 weeks I was able to run 2:48. 5 years later you think I should start thinking about running sub 2:40?

Back to reality though - you are right, 20 weeks sounds awfully long - I only ran for 5 weeks and it feels forever. So, I should just concentrate on continuing - that will be challenging enough by itself.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

And blondes are definitely better than brunettes...

AMEN.  *AHEM*

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I hope everyone is wearing their government mandated encouraged facemasks. Apparently the COVID cough has hit the website. This is what we get for not properly social distancing. Also, for ignoring gingers.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

madisonrunner

I found a good route for my marathon time trial.  There is a bike path (Military Ridge and Cannonball Paths) that is a little more than 7 miles long and only has 2 road crossings (neither very busy).  There are two bridges but overall it's pretty flat.  I do most of my workouts on part of this bike path so I know the area well.  My plan is to run out and back 7 miles, then out and back 6.13 miles to hit 26.26.  I actually skip the second bridge when I do the second out and back.  When I ran CIM my watch registered 26.27 miles and since this route has no turns and just the turnaround points, I think 26.26 miles covers a full marathon.  I have been running this route repeatedly to understand exactly where the start/finish and turnaround points are.

My goal is going to be 5:55 pace, so 2:35.

I'm in week 2 of my 3 week taper.  Last weekend I did a 5k time trial in 16:29.  I was hoping for faster but running all out like this outside of a race is tough.

My last week:

M - 9.5 / 4.5

T - 11 miles w/ 5x0.5 mile VO2 max at 5:03 pace

W - 9

R - 13.5

F - 9

S - 18 w/ 5k time trial in 16:29

S - 4.5

Total = 80

Weather - congrats on the nice 10k time trial.  That certainly equates to a sub 75 half.

CalBears

Darn...

Mayor of Los Angeles:

"It's difficult to imagine us getting together in the thousands anytime soon, so I think we should be prepared for that this year," Garcetti told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room."

If LA mayor says that, I wonder what New York mayor will say - 2023?

It will be difficult to stay motivated for training that long. Not to mention most of the economy and plenty of people's income will go caboom...

In a speech in Cape Town in June 1966, Kennedy said: There is a Chinese curse which says 'May he live in interesting times. ' Like it or not we live in interesting times. They are times of danger and uncertainty; but they are also more open to the creative energy of men than any other time in history.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Darn...

Mayor of Los Angeles:

"It's difficult to imagine us getting together in the thousands anytime soon, so I think we should be prepared for that this year," Garcetti told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room."

Wow, it’s taken you that long to figure out the obvious?  I’m loving the updates from the “experts” WHO which keep me amused. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Unsure what the Mayor of New York wants. I know I heard the Governor saying he wants the state up and running as soon as possible because baseball season is coming. I'll have to start training with a mask on so my NYC Marathon Qualifier isn't excused for lack of wearing the New York mandated face mask in public. So yeah....stop and frisk while wearing a mask...why WOULDN'T I want to head to New York?

Jackass thinks he needs to set the way for any other state to open.

https://cnycentral.com/news/local/watch-governor-cuomo-in-albany-for-daily-covid-19-briefing-04-16-2020

"The plain reality here is that we have to do it in partnership with the federal government,” he said Thursday. “...There’s no reason you would have 50 states trying to figure this out on their own."

"Thursday, Cuomo defended the order, saying the actions of New York's citizens will determine the rate of the virus' spread."

It's up to New York to save us all.

I'm still predicting Memorial Day Weekend is when there is some magic in the air allowing people to get together (officially) and kids can play at parts, or people such as myself say "they can't arrest us all. I'd like to see them try" and I start making financial contributions to my city/county for touching playground surfaces that could have carried the virus for 72 hours and they've been off limits for over two weeks.

Darn...

Mayor of Los Angeles:

If LA mayor says that, I wonder what New York mayor will say - 2023?

It will be difficult to stay motivated for training that long. Not to mention most of the economy and plenty of people's income will go caboom...

In a speech in Cape Town in June 1966, Kennedy said: There is a Chinese curse which says 'May he live in interesting times. ' Like it or not we live in interesting times. They are times of danger and uncertainty; but they are also more open to the creative energy of men than any other time in history.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

another NYC covid dispatch:

ERs are much slower for 2 weeks now, but ICU vent cases remain pretty random (with some risk factors), long (1-5weeks), and GRIM (~80% death).  Lots of stuff being tried, but no treatment other than oxygen is CLEARLY effective yet.

BEST STAT to monitor, is HOSPITALIZATIONS (averaged over 3 days).  Better than deaths, and MUCH better than number of cases.

Also, be clear if you're thinking about avoiding it vs immunity.

Hey to everybody!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Dr rovatti - What’s your take on wearing face masks in public? From what I’ve read, it’s only good quality ones like N95 that are effective if worn correctly, plus surely you could catch the virus through the eyes which aren’t protected from droplets. I’ve seen a few folks in supermarkets wearing surgical masks which I’m assuming are too flimsy to be any good?

My understanding is that the main reason to wear the flimsy surgical masks (or cloth covers) is to protect other people from you.   (i.e. if everyone does it there's less virus spreading).   They might also protect you a bit, but not as well as the fitted N95s + eye shields.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My understanding is that the main reason to wear the flimsy surgical masks (or cloth covers) is to protect other people from you.   (i.e. if everyone does it there's less virus spreading).   They might also protect you a bit, but not as well as the fitted N95s + eye shields.

Yeah, but surely these surgical masks are once only use? Wash your hands, put the mask on....but if you touch/adjust it after touching something else then it’s potentially contaminated and should be disposed of?  Our government has been saying that masks aren’t necessary if you don’t have any symptoms....maybe because they were caught on the back foot and didn’t want the public causing short supply for the frontline workers that really need them. 🤔

I guess if you have it (and possibly don't realize it), MOST of the virus you exhale (or sneeze) winds up on the inside of your mask, and LESS winds up in the air or on public surfaces.  I'm sure they're FAR from perfect...

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Seems like there's also a signaling/culture of compliance aspect to the masks that may be as helpful as anything else.

If you buy into that theory (and I actually do, based on what I've seen in other compliance scenarios), then seeing a lot of people wearing masks may make you think twice about how much space you give others, whether you let your kids play together, etc.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.