2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Seems like there's also a signaling/culture of compliance aspect to the masks that may be as helpful as anything else.

If you buy into that theory (and I actually do, based on what I've seen in other compliance scenarios), then seeing a lot of people wearing masks may make you think twice about how much space you give others, whether you let your kids play together, etc.

ding ding ding

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Seems like there's also a signaling/culture of compliance aspect to the masks that may be as helpful as anything else.

If you buy into that theory (and I actually do, based on what I've seen in other compliance scenarios), then seeing a lot of people wearing masks may make you think twice about how much space you give others, whether you let your kids play together, etc.

Yep, I’ve also heard that theory as well, but that wasn’t my point. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Masks are meant to protect others more than anything, at least non-N95s. But if you're both wearing masks, you are protecting each other.

I can tell you that in NYC right now, even before we were forced to, mask wearing has gone from maybe 10% of people 3 weeks ago to 95% right now. When the compliance is that high, you feel guilty going out without one, even if you're not going into a store or other cramped quarters. That's where I see a big benefit: the shame you feel for not wearing one.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Mask wearing is almost universal in MN in both the big cities and the more rural areas across race, class, etc.  Seems to be pretty effective in keeping numbers low amd bending our curve. The only time I see people not wearing them is when running/walking outside. And people are pretty aggressive about telling people to give space in the parks now. Everyone is doing pretty well as they shut down streets around the parks, lakes and river so that people have more space to space out. Also the recent snow storms have gotten people to isolate pretty well.  All masks dramatically reduce the droplets (not perfectly but even a basic mask does 50-80% which are the thing that spreads the virus. Seems like a good idea to me.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mask wearing is almost universal in MN in both the big cities and the more rural areas across race, class, etc.  Seems to be pretty effective in keeping numbers low amd bending our curve. The only time I see people not wearing them is when running/walking outside. And people are pretty aggressive about telling people to give space in the parks now. Everyone is doing pretty well as they shut down streets around the parks, lakes and river so that people have more space to space out. Also the recent snow storms have gotten people to isolate pretty well.  All masks dramatically reduce the droplets (not perfectly but even a basic mask does 50-80% which are the thing that spreads the virus. Seems like a good idea to me.

That could be more to do with social distancing. We’re still in a ‘no more than 2 gathering’ lockdown, but I’m guessing the UK will change its advice once non essential workers are allowed back and social distancing is impossible (ie, public transport at peak travel times)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

We had a nice throwdown in Nextdoor (local website for neighbors to discuss issues) a few days ago about wearing masks when outside.

In my area, you're supposed to wear them when you are in public and cannot maintain six feet or more of space.   But there's a subset of people who strongly believe that all people, including runners and walkers, should wear them at all times when outside, regardless of how much space there is between individuals.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Honestly... I was planning to run 5 marathons this year, doing the same thing as I did before - rovatti called it "Bubka-ing". That would mean, I would run first marathon fast but not throwing everything to the table - just reasonably hard. Then, based on the result of the first marathon, I would try to run the second one a little bit faster, knowing that I already can at least run as fast as my first marathon time. And I would try to do that every next marathon - basing my goal on the result of the previous race. That worked for me very well before as every successful race gives you incredible amount of confidence, plus joy of getting faster. That was my plan to prepare for Boston 2021 where I would beat Mikkey handsomely - finishing race, getting a medal, getting my changing bag with credit card in it to buy two coffees - one for myself and another one for Mikkey, who, by that time would finish running his well earned sub 3 time and receive a cup of fresh hot coffee from his friendly rival .

But now I know that plan is not going to work, obviously. So, on my runs this week I realized that everything has its own silver lining - first time in years goal races are not distracting us from the main, fundamental thing that we all should mostly care about - training. I think most of the time we are in a hurry to run that goal race and without paying due respect to the thing that would actually make us achieve those goals in those races. Looking back I think I always was considering training less important than actual result in races. I mean, while training I was thinking about coming race all the time. Even funnier, not once, but most of the time, a week or so before a race, during last runs before the race, I was starting to think about the next race after the race I am still have to run in a few days. Seriously... I am about to run a race, but I already was thinking about next one? .

This time looks like I finally get an opportunity to concentrate just on training, analyze everything that relates to it, do it consistently, do it for a long time and finally realize that those fast race times actually come from this daily routine and no need to rush now...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

Pretty solid week, a little bit lighter after a couple of big weeks.  My right hamstring got a little tight on Saturday afternoon, after the track session, but was OK to run on this morning for a long-ish 24km - a little tight but no soreness so hopefully it's just a minor.  I chucked on the racing flats for the track session for a bit of fun so maybe that was what did it (I've only worn those shoes probably once in the last 7 months).

Anyway this Saturday I'm planning a slightly different challenge for my long run - going to run laps of the Coastal Walkway, aiming for at least 7 or maybe 8 depending how the legs are feeling.  It's a 5km loop so that should make 35km at least, maybe 40km.  I'll probably just cruise it as I know I'll be able to push the time and distance a bit further if I do that.  With any luck it'll end up simulating close to marathon time on my feet albeit not quite the distance.

Honestly I am getting a little sick of hills though.  I know they're probably good for me but total elevation gain last week was 883m metres / 2900 feet and that was probably 20% lower than the last couple weeks.

M: 10km easy

T: 13km with hills

W: 17.3km with moderate effort intervals

T: 13.2km with a few sprints

F: resistance, stretching

S: 12.7km track (800's, 200's)

S: 24.2km long run

Total: 90.5km / 56 miles

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - That was a very philosophical post.    I’m going to start training for the August trail marathon as it’s low key, so hopefully it’s not cancelled as that’s my best shot at a BQ for 2021 as I don’t think London will happen this year. I’ll be up for Boston 2022 (assuming we’re not all dead) if next year isn’t possible.

Marky - If it’s maybe 40k on Saturday then it would be rude not to add another 2.2k....just cruise your way to a marathon PB. 👍

CalBears

Cal - That was a very philosophical post.    I’m going to start training for the August trail marathon as it’s low key, so hopefully it’s not cancelled as that’s my best shot at a BQ for 2021 as I don’t think London will happen this year. I’ll be up for Boston 2022 (assuming we’re not all dead) if next year isn’t possible.

Marky - If it’s maybe 40k on Saturday then it would be rude not to add another 2.2k....just cruise your way to a marathon PB. 👍

Mikkey - that's a good news that you are up for Boston 2022 too - who knows what happens with 2021 race, from one side, things change quickly, but from another side - we have been on a quarantine just for a month by now, but it feels like forever and I am getting really pessimistic about how events are going to develop. Some kind guy from CIM vs Boston thread helped me with finding a certified course nearby - so, maybe somewhere mid summer I will try marathon TT.

Marky - I am with Mikkey, maybe you should treat it as a TT with a goal of beating your current marathon PR - because it is so way so soft and out of line for your fitness Smile Btw, I subscribed to some group at Strava and there is some guy from NSW (?), David Crinity who, after I checked his training log, runs 120 mpw a week for several years by now - very fast guy, you might know or heard about him? But again, I was impressed with the fact for how long he is keeping his weekly mileage so high.

My week was good, consistent and I was not getting weaker by the end of the week:

Mon - off

Tue -  17.1 @8:29

Wed - 17.1 @9:06

Thu -  17.1 @8:41

Fri -    17.1 @8:42

Sat -   17.1 @8:25

Sun -  17.1 @8:21

===

Total: 102.9 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

Marky - I am with Mikkey, maybe you should treat it as a TT with a goal of beating your current marathon PR - because it is so way so soft and out of line for your fitness Smile Btw, I subscribed to some group at Strava and there is some guy from NSW (?), David Crinity who, after I checked his training log, runs 120 mpw a week for several years by now - very fast guy, you might know or heard about him? But again, I was impressed with the fact for how long he is keeping his weekly mileage so high.

Yeah - I know of him.  He won the Auckland Marathon (the biggest marathon in NZ) a couple of years ago.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

My week: BO-ring.

Mon - 5.4 easy

Tue - 7 easy

Wed - 9.5 easy

Thu - 5.4 easy

Fri - 7 easy

Sat - 8.3 easy

Sun - 10.7 easy

Total = 53 miles

Basically recovering from last week’s hundo. Feeling generally OK, but a bit more soreness & fatigue than usual. A 10 miler felt longer than it should. Incidentally I passed 100 consecutive running days, for whatever it’s worth. I don’t really call it a streak, because that makes it sound like a thing where I go out and run one mile to keep it going. It’s just that my regular schedule is to run every day, unless I’m injured or for a few days a marathon. All a streak means is those two things haven’t happened in a while. Which is good for the first part, not so good for the second. 

Which brings me to CalBears comments on training & racing. My goal is always two marathons per year. That’s two dedicated marathon training cycles, and the time between doesn’t seem like too much. So I feel like I’m pretty much always training. I do really enjoy racing, and sprinkle a bunch of 5k/10k/HMs during & between marathon cycles. I am feeling a bit aimless right now, I guess like a lot of other people, not exactly sure what I will do moving forward.

Also CalBears - 100+ miles on 6 days of singles? Crazy.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Honestly... I was planning to run 5 marathons this year, doing the same thing as I did before - rovatti called it "Bubka-ing". That would mean, I would run first marathon fast but not throwing everything to the table - just reasonably hard. Then, based on the result of the first marathon, I would try to run the second one a little bit faster, knowing that I already can at least run as fast as my first marathon time. And I would try to do that every next marathon - basing my goal on the result of the previous race. That worked for me very well before as every successful race gives you incredible amount of confidence, plus joy of getting faster. That was my plan to prepare for Boston 2021 where I would beat Mikkey handsomely - finishing race, getting a medal, getting my changing bag with credit card in it to buy two coffees - one for myself and another one for Mikkey, who, by that time would finish running his well earned sub 3 time and receive a cup of fresh hot coffee from his friendly rival .

But now I know that plan is not going to work, obviously. So, on my runs this week I realized that everything has its own silver lining - first time in years goal races are not distracting us from the main, fundamental thing that we all should mostly care about - training. I think most of the time we are in a hurry to run that goal race and without paying due respect to the thing that would actually make us achieve those goals in those races. Looking back I think I always was considering training less important than actual result in races. I mean, while training I was thinking about coming race all the time. Even funnier, not once, but most of the time, a week or so before a race, during last runs before the race, I was starting to think about the next race after the race I am still have to run in a few days. Seriously... I am about to run a race, but I already was thinking about next one? .

This time looks like I finally get an opportunity to concentrate just on training, analyze everything that relates to it, do it consistently, do it for a long time and finally realize that those fast race times actually come from this daily routine and no need to rush now...

Interesting post, though I'm still trying to digest it all.

I guess I've always been in the mode that training is for racing, but that rushing training results in poor races.  So not sure whether I align with old Calbears or current Calbears….

My week:

58 miles, 10 miles of walking
                            M: upperbody weights, core, and 4.5 mile walk
                            T: 12.5 miles, including an alternating short hill/short tempo workout on the treadmill. Two short hill repeats (4.5 incline) in 70 seconds, then 6 minutes at 6:26 pace. Then treadmill shut down. Restarted, and did another two 70 second hill repeats, 10 minutes at 6:25 pace. Then one more short hill repeat before the treadmill shut down again and I went outside for my cooldown. Followed with leg strengthwork. 2:30 jogging recovery after each hill or tempo segment, except for a longer break after the treadmill shut down.
                            W: 4.5 miles very easy (9:25), live streaming yoga, and 8 miles very easy outside (8:47) plus drills and strides. Also got treadmill repaired.
                            Th: Upper body weights/core and 5.5 mile walk.
                            F: 12 mile. Started with "hill workout" of 3 sets of:
                            2:00 strong effort at 3.0 incline/ 1:30 easy effort at 0.5 incline/0:30 fast effort at 0.5/1:00 easy effort at 0.5 incline.
                            Then treadmill shut down again. Drove to hill and did 5 more repeats of about 2 minutes hard up, 90 second recovery, 30 second downhill stride, 60 seconds recovery.
                            Followed with leg strengthwork.
                            Sa: 10 miles very easy outside (9:17) plus drills and strides, live streaming yoga, and upper body weights/core.
                            Su: 12 miles progressive, split as the first 3 miles averaging 9:00 pace, the next 3 averaging 7:36, the next 3 averaging 6:47 (marathon effort on open road), and the next 3 averaging 7:01 (marathon effort while dodging/weaving/jumping on grass shoulders/etc). Followed with leg strengthwork and live streaming yoga.

Treadmill is on the fritz.  Possibly karmic retribution for being oh-so-slightly smug that I had one?  Ended up starting late on Sunday due to a Saturday night (virtual party) - since I couldn't do it on the treadmill I cut the long run distance to ensure I was done before most others started.  Didn't quite accomplish that and ended up doing a lot of lateral work in the final miles.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Mark, It cracks me up that a lot of your runs, I "ran" all winter because Aukland and Wellington are pre programed runs on my treadmill at my gym.  And the coastal walkway is one of them.

Cal- Talk about consistent runs.  I love that it comes to a .9 and not a round 103.  Boss move.

Dave- Nothing wrong with a boring recovery week if it keeps you running.

DW- With a treadmill on the fritz while trying to be on isolation...I appreciate your restraint on not setting in on fire...or just drinking lots of wine.

My week-  Really felt the miles by the end of the week.  The Tempo was Thursday was thrown in cause that workout was blown up a few weeks ago just before i realized in had bronchitis.  I also was not paying attention and ended up running my easy days long than intended and with a snowstorm and 60+ degree weather within days of each other, my body just was not regulating itself well.  Was supposed to do 82 miles, but ended up with over 87 and considering the workouts...i should have ran 82.

M 13-Apr 9.14 1:07:54 Easy w/ 6x 100m strides last mile Afternoon run
                                  4.09 0:31:00 Easy Lunch run
                              T 14-Apr 11.3 1:23:33 Easy w/ 6x 100m strides couple of miles
                              W 15-Apr 11 1:11:44 6x 1k in 3:30 - 3:35 w/ 600m recovery (nice and easy) w/ 2mi w/u & 2mi c/d averaged 3:30 (3:26, 3:31, 3:28, 3:33, 3:31, 3:31) Started out a little hot, took a while to dial it in.
                              Th 16-Apr 11.32 1:24:23 Accidently thought it was supposed to be 11 miler not 9. Need to pay attention. Oops
                              F 17-Apr 12.25 1:21:02 8mi tempo @ 6:15/mi w/ 2mi w/u & 2mi c/d Averaged 6:19/mile. Range for 6:11-6:24 depending on wind on back or into wind. Pretty windy. Achilles and knee on left side where pretty sore starting mile 4 of temop. I got away from doing my exercise the last two weeks. Was on left side 48.5 and 51.5% on right side. So the weakness was definitely showing. Also paid for going a little bit too long yesterday. Also the 1lb steak I ate last night for dinner was a brick in my stomach.
                              Sa 18-Apr 12.1 1:31:38 Went long thinking it was nice out....but just felt worse as the run went on. Progressive slow down to make sure it was recovery. Skipped striders as my legs felt pretty rough at the end.
                              Su 19-Apr 16 15.18 Ran the south loop and that meant the last 9 miles were uphill. After a long week I called it early as I could really feel it and I thought i was well over on miles and no need to grind up my legs more for an extra .8 of a mile.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

So...like....make running fun again? Interesting.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22