2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So...like....make running fun again? Interesting.

I think he means.....make training fun again.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal - interesting post. I view training as a means to hit my goal races, but for some people, they race too frequently so this time could be a benefit for them

Boston - of course the weather this morning in Hopkinton right now is 47 and mostly cloudy. FML.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Boston - of course the weather this morning in Hopkinton right now is 47 and mostly cloudy. FML.

Funny. It's 57F with 69% humidity wth a 0-5 mph wind in Folsom right now. I guess Boston IS harder than CIM on the same day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think he means.....make training fun again.

I hear he is training for a 2:51 at CIM.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

I hear he is training for a 2:51 at CIM.

I do not need to run 2:51 to beat that New York marathon conqueror from GB and his 83.94% age graded result. All I need, after I am 55 in July, is to run a marathon faster than 2:53:56 (6:37 pace) to usurp my right place in history and get all jewels to my crown back (I already have a crown though - my PR is way way faster than Mikkey's - and do not forget - in my case it's the actual sub 2:50 !!!).

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

And then you’ll need to start 5k training and run a sub 18.  No point in registering for ultras if you can’t run a decent 5k time.😂

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

And then you’ll need to start 5k training and run a sub 18.  No point in registering for ultras if you can’t run a decent 5k time.😂

The point of registering for ultras is to run a qualifier to be able participate in Western States 100 miles lottery - that is a bucket list item - like it was sub 3 and then the Moose Mug. Sub 18 5K would be nice but if not, I won't lose my sleep because of it Smile. But I promise you to try.

CalBears

Just calculated an average pace for sub 18 5K - 5:45 mpm??? Are you crazy? I have never ran that fast even 1 mile during workouts and you want me to run 5:45 for 3+ miles? I could imagine running 6:15 mpm for 26 miles but cannot imagine running 5:45 for 3 miles - I am not playing and not kidding.

CalBears

Yeah but 20x100 mile weeks would be pretty cool....sub 2:40? 

While I was struggling and puffing this morning at 9:20 mpm pace, I thought it will be absolutely hilarious to accomplish 20x100 miles task and then "break" sub 3 after all those efforts. That will be so epic 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Just calculated an average pace for sub 18 5K - 5:45 mpm??? Are you crazy? I have never ran that fast even 1 mile during workouts and you want me to run 5:45 for 3+ miles? I could imagine running 6:15 mpm for 26 miles but cannot imagine running 5:45 for 3 miles - I am not playing and not kidding.

I actually think there’s an outside chance that you could eventually go 6:15min/mile pace for a marathon (2:44?)...IF you keep the consistency up and don’t get injured. If that happens then a 5:45 paced 5k run would be ridiculously easy....even for you!

CalBears

I actually think there’s an outside chance that you could eventually go 6:15min/mile pace for a marathon (2:44?)...IF you keep the consistency up and don’t get injured. If that happens then a 5:45 paced 5k run would be ridiculously easy....even for you!

Our work yesterday informed us that even if shelter-in-place is cancelled and everybody free to go out, they don't see us coming to onsite at least until the end of June - because our job specifics allow us to work remotely without much of a problem. For me that means that running consistency mileage wise will be there for the next two months for sure. As for injuries, I hope to avoid them as I am not planning any workouts and I also have no problem to slow down to 11 mpm if I feel tired during a run. Though, I started thinking about adding 2 days per week of running at elevated HR - just like Hadd has those days in the sample program for his Joe runner. I don't know - maybe it's important. But it is still not workouts as no speed or LT heart rate is involved.

The problem is that my internal indicators show me that I am still nowhere near the level of fitness which I had when I set my marathon PR. I definitely made a good progress comparing to fall of 2019 but I could easily see solid few months of running just to get closer to the PR shape I was in 2015 - if it's possible at all.

Btw, when you mentioning 2:44, do you see it's possible for you? Or sub 2:50? And if not, does it mean you gave up? 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Btw, when you mentioning 2:44, do you see it's possible for you? Or sub 2:50? And if not, does it mean you gave up? 

Definitely not 2:44 as my heel spur is giving me too much grief...I would need an op to ever be able to train more than 65/70mpw average in a cycle (and even that would need daily ibuprofen!). But sub 2:50 I think is still doable and definitely my goal for Boston if I ever get there.

Hadd training - I thought you were already following the plan...yes I would definitely do the 2 elevated workouts each week and forget about the 100 miles per week streak if you’re struggling. Don’t be a wounded hero!

CalBears

Definitely not 2:44 as my heel spur is giving me too much grief...I would need an op to ever be able to train more than 65/70mpw average in a cycle (and even that would need daily ibuprofen!). But sub 2:50 I think is still doable and definitely my goal for Boston if I ever get there.

Hadd training - I thought you were already following the plan...yes I would definitely do the 2 elevated workouts each week and forget about the 100 miles per week streak if you’re struggling. Don’t be a wounded hero!

Wow... Your current training situation is pretty tough as I see it. I could not imagine running with daily take of Ibuprofen - that would not be a pure running for me (though I already had an argument with DPS on Strava on the subject of Ibuprofen). Too bad nothing is opened at the moment - I would personally try to fix the heel issue once and for all. Though, consistent 70 mpw would work fine for you I think - but probably not to the level of sub 2:50.

Re "pure" Hadd training - you have an access to my runs and could probably see that I do almost all the runs at my recovery HR, none of them are at elevated level. I am not sure, but you probably right - my guess that, if I add two runs per week at an elevated HR (probably 155 bpm in my case), I have to cut some mileage off - probably to the level of 80-85. Right now I am "struggling" at some runs, but it is a "struggle" without a danger of getting injured - nothing like that - just some days feel more tired and beat up than other days. My expectation is that at some point, if I do not add any intensity, my body should adjust to the mileage. So, after all, I think I will hold off adding two runs for a few more weeks and see how it goes. Maybe after I do another Hadd test, after that I will add the elevated runs.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I wouldn't use ibuprofen to run daily, but here and there when something comes up and in combination with doing the work to fix the issue, it is fine.  Mine stem from old injuries related to a car accident and resulting weakness unless I stay on it. I would back off if I needed it for a few days in a row, but once or twice every few months or after a had workout to open up veins and flush out...no problem.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

That what CIM organizers sent today in an email (the race date is Dec 6, 2020):

"Worry Free" Registration - COVID-19 Response

In response to the current uncertainty surrounding the staging of large community events because of COVID-19 public health crises, we are instituting a “worry free” registration policy for 2020 CIM marathon registrations. If the 2020 CIM is unable to be conducted for any reason related to the COVD-19 public health crisis, all 2020 CIM registrants will receive a one-time voucher that will allow them to register for free for any one future CIM through 2023.

Details:

• If 2020 CIM is unable to be conducted in any form, all registrants will receive a voucher that they will be able to redeem for a free entry into one future CIM marathon through the year 2023
                                • The event’s “no refunds/no transfers” policy will still be in effect, as we are still unable to offer any refunds or transfer your registration for any reason
                                • The voucher will be assigned to the registered participant and can only be redeemed by that participant, it cannot be transferred to another person