2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Resident Historian

"Worry Free" Registration - COVID-19 Response

In response to the current uncertainty surrounding the staging of large community events because of COVID-19 public health crises, we are instituting a “worry free” registration policy for 2020 CIM marathon registrations. If the 2020 CIM is unable to be conducted for any reason related to the COVD-19 public health crisis, all 2020 CIM registrants will receive a one-time voucher that will allow them to register for free for any one future CIM through 2023.

Details:

• If 2020 CIM is unable to be conducted in any form, all registrants will receive a voucher that they will be able to redeem for a free entry into one future CIM marathon through the year 2023
    • The event’s “no refunds/no transfers” policy will still be in effect, as we are still unable to offer any refunds or transfer your registration for any reason
    • The voucher will be assigned to the registered participant and can only be redeemed by that participant, it cannot be transferred to another person

That's underwhelming, to say the least.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

CalBears

OK, I would see them offering a refund, ideally, but other than that, I don't see why it is "underwhelming". Actually, for me, as a runner, having a free race voucher which I could use within next three (not one!) years is almost equal to a refund.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

OK, I would see them offering a refund, ideally, but other than that, I don't see why it is "underwhelming". Actually, for me, as a runner, having a free race voucher which I could use within next three (not one!) years is almost equal to a refund.

It seems like a fair enough and realistic deal to me. CIM probably won’t happen this year, but you never know.

I think NZ could be the only country properly racing again this year. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

It seems like a fair enough and realistic deal to me. CIM probably won’t happen this year, but you never know.

You do not see CIM this year even if they implement social distancing during the race?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You do not see CIM this year even if they implement social distancing during the race?

I’m not sure how you could social distance in a race environment ...plus you’ve got the spectators.

And of course drafting in a race would need to be made illegal. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I personally like that CIM is being upfront, at the time of registration, about what they'll offer if they have to cancel.  In contrast to other races, where it's just a guess until they tell you post-cancellation.

I am not ruling out races happening in the US this year.  I suspect they may be smaller, and limited in attendance to those in a certain geographic region.  But...we just don't know.

I keep asking - were any cases ever found to arise out of the LA marathon?  It seems that if marathons were super-risky, that would have been a superspreader event.

I also keep thinking to the One City Marathon that I DNF'ed in early March in Newport News.    By mid-March, that area of Virginia was the state hot bed for Covid 19, and yet I haven't heard of any cases related to that event.

I raise these points because (without either data to support or formal medical/epidemiological training) my hunch is that outdoor exercise, even near others, may be much less risky for transmission than other activities, such as sitting close together in a baseball stadium.

[Of course, there's also the concern that large events like marathons tie up police and medical resources that are greatly needed elsewhere.]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I agree with the others - why do you say this? I think it’s an excellent way to handle it, as close to a win-win as you’re going to get. Good for you, because there’s no risk of losing the registration fee; good for them, as it encourages registrations at a time when no one is registering for anything. And does not lock you into next year’s race.

Dave

I agree, it would be surprising to see any major races in 2020. CIM maybe has a shot, being in December. But still that’s only about 7 months away; hard to imagine wanting to pack thousands of people together that soon.

Dave

... my hunch is that outdoor exercise, even near others, may be much less risky for transmission than other activities...

I'm sure jogging outside (with or without a mask) is safe for everybody. I wore a mask under my chin on today's 3 miler, for social reasons...

As for big races (with expos, corals, spectators)...  different question... from both epidemiological and PR perspectives.

The most interesting news in a while:  21% of NYC supermarket shoppers have covid antibodies.  Not a perfectly random sample, but not bad.

So based on that, it's a virus (that's hard to escape) with about 0.5% mortality (YMMV).  Still no good treatments or vaccines in the foreseeable future.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm sure jogging outside (with or without a mask) is safe for everybody.  (I wore a mask under my chin on today's 3 miler, for social reasons...)

On my local Nextdoor, there was a guy stating that Open Carry was a good solution to those who went outdoors without wearing masks.  So....I guess you can add that risk in.

As for big races (with expos, corals, spectators)...  different question... from both epidemiological and PR perspectives.

The most interesting news in a while:  21% of NYC supermarket shoppers have covid antibodies.  Not a perfectly random sample, but not bad.   So based on that, it's a virus that's hard to escape with about 0.5% mortality (YMMV).  Still no good treatments or vaccines in the foreseeable future.

Yeah, I'm thinking that we'll see a return of smaller races long before the big ones, with the megamarathons being last to return.   I do see smaller races held in locations without much crowd support being doable.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

On my local Nextdoor, there was a guy stating that Open Carry was a good solution to those who went outdoors without wearing masks. 

Did you move to a shotgun shack in Idaho?  (...wait... are they in favor or against masks???)

BTW, Brew, I'm re-watching the entire run of Reno 911!

Running Problem

Problem Child

On my local Nextdoor, there was a guy stating that Open Carry was a good solution to those who went outdoors without wearing masks.  So....I guess you can add that risk in.

I would have replied "why open carry when you can just keep carrying concealed and not alarm people?" It just as risky.

Did you move to a shotgun shack in Idaho?  (...wait... are they in favor or against masks???)

BTW, Brew, I'm re-watching the entire run of Reno 911!

First season was apparently filmed here and the rest was LA. The rumor I heard was too many people in the background acting a fool. 
                          The episode shows Elva's Market...in Piru, CA.

I'm trying to run and deal with some Achellies tendonitis (self diagnosed) and avoid tearing the thing. Surgery would suck mostly becuase it's forced recovery so all my runs are going to be easy runs. Maybe I'll try to get up to 100 miles by doing doubles or triples. 6 miles didn't seem to bother it until 4.5 then the pain went away.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

weatherboy80

Just a quick check in.  Didn't post my weekly status last week, but decided almost last minute to simply run a marathon for fun last Saturday. Took a few bathroom breaks, paced some friends for their workouts and ran a decent progression to finish in just over 3:15.  Certainly a different way to run 26.2 for a change.  Also did it on top of a 105 mile week which was most me ever in a 7 day span.  Have been taking it much easier this week cutting mileage back so far as a result.

Pretty bummed about the prospects for our fall races.  Already have Boston on the calendar for September and CIM for December, but those are looking less likely at the time being.  Have to imagine those big races will be the last to come back.

Hope everyone is doing their best to stay sane and healthy!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Virginia sometimes seems like it is next to DC and sometimes seems so far away....

This individual was averring his strong preference for all to be wearing masks at all times, with open carry being his ideal way to enforce his preferences.

Honestly, this virus is scary, but so are people.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm not making this up, some woman at a bus stop last week yelled at me when walking my dog that my dog "should be wearing a mask."

She was not joking.

I will say you cat people should look out, looks like this thing is spreading among all the cats at the Bronx Zoo. Not sure if it's prevalent in house cats though.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)