2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Forgot about some bragging point - first time since I started running seriously in 2011 I had 2 months in a row above 400 miles - 431 in March and 438 miles in April. It's kind of weird - I thought actually I had it, but no - I had bigger months - 464 in 2015, 494 and 515 in 2016, but never had two consecutive months in a row above 400. Looking forward to make it 3 in a row .

Marathon - 83.94%.   5k - 84.51% AG.  Back of the net.

Magrawlas - If race is delayed - let’s wait and see if it actually is delayed and for how long.  If you’re looking at running an even split sub 4 then 5:30 per km is probably too fast, even with allowing for the usual extra on GPS. There’s no need to stop at water stations...grab a cup and keep running...or walk for 10 seconds for less spillage. I’m still kind of 50/50 on how important gels/sports drinks are during a marathon....I’ve run some decent marathons with virtually no carbs or carb loading (but paced well). The training and getting the pacing right  is WAY more important than how many gels you take. And make your training log public as you’ll get much better feedback. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

And your point dear sir???

Don't worry mate - the big train is coming to you (at you?) 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

And your point dear sir???

I dunno...to wind you up?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I dunno...to wind you up?

Wind me up? I don't have time for that  Motivate me? Yes - thank you kind sir! 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Wind me up? I don't have time for that  Motivate me? Yes - thank you kind sir! 

Winding someone up can motivate depending on the personality..but some of the younger snowflakes would just burst into tears. 

CalBears

Winding someone up can motivate depending on the personality..but some of the younger snowflakes would just burst into tears. 

I know - I just experienced that trying to chime in to Half Marathon thread .

Resident Historian

31.5 miles last week, up a little, and not such a struggle to reach 30. 
                Mon - Off (after 15 days straight)
                Tues 6.4, easy with a couple of faster sections
                Wed. 4.3, winding around my neighborhood, on a new, hilly route (500' gain).
                Thu-Sat - ~4.5 per day, mostly easy. 
                Sun.  7.4 along the coast (with beaches now open, but not crowded). Easy for 6 miles, then 1.5 mile fast finish from ~6 miles (Dunno where that came from -- I was struggling mid-run!)

I plan to hold around 30-35 mpw for a short time. I still do a long exercise routine to protect and strengthen my Achilles (which has been very quiet lately -- touch wood). Going back to the PT later this week to see what's next. Then I'd like to go up to 50ish, get a half-marathon distance in (TT if necessary). We'll see from there. Getting back to Boston in 2021 looks like a snowball's chance now...

mgrawlas -- I agree with Mikkey. Carry on with marathon training, then if there's a delay, how long will determine you plan. I think you'll get stale if you simply repeat 1-2 weeks of your program. And do set up a time-trial to allow you to set a planned pace.

Cal - Wow, you're at machine-like mileage again! How nice of Mikkey to keep you motivated! 

DPS - Very consistent and solid weeks there. 86+ with one double, 6 straight double-digit runs! Nice.

darkwave - Good week, nice variety.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Running Problem

Problem Child

Marathon 70.797%. The same age with a 1:59:59 marathon is 106%. Try getting some better competition.

See the source image

51 miles last week. Ankle/tendon is in the "not getting worse" category today.

Do people who have "recovered" from the COVID 19 virus have to wear masks in public? If so, why when they have the antibodies everyone wearing masks doesn't?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I eat snowflakes cornflakes for breakfast every morning.

Do people who have "recovered" from the COVID 19 virus have to wear masks in public? 

IMO, if someone has covid antibodies, there is no medical reason for them to wear a mask.

Note: covid antibodies - (decent titers of IgG neutralizing antibody) probably (but not definitely) confer immunity for "some" years... i.e. can't get it, can't spread it.

Running Problem

Problem Child

IMO, if someone has covid antibodies, there is no medical reason for them to wear a mask.

Note: covid antibodies - (decent titers of IgG neutralizing antibody) probably (but not definitely) confer immunity for "some" years... i.e. can't get it, can't spread it.

I would be willing to bet people in public would STILL want a ‘recovered with Immunoglobulin G’ positive test results provided to them by a ‘recovered’ individual before letting you go anywhere without a mask on.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Last week:

Mon - 10

Tue - 13

Wed - 8

Thu - 10

Fri - 14

Sat - 8

Sun - 11

Total = 74 miles

- All easy. Maybe I’ll add some speed in at some point, IDK. 
                          - Finished April with 303 miles. Only the 5th time ever breaking 300 for me. Usually requires an alignment of the planets - peak marathon training weeks in a month with 31 days and 5 long run days. This time around, a 100 mile week didn’t hurt. 
                          - Tentatively planning to keep going with 70+ weeks. It’s high for me historically, so IDK if I can keep it going as long as it’s mostly easy miles, or if I should plan to take a cutback week at some point.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Great job dave. 70 mile weeks worked well for me going into CIM but I had done marathon training for probably 9 months going into that cycle and the year before was my first time.  It was shockingly easy for ME to keep that high mileage without doing 20 mile long runs. 8 miles three times a week, 10-13 for speed/tempo/threshold/marathon pace and a 16 mile long run made Sunday runs pretty simple. Oh and since I am young I was doing TRX as cross training twice a week. Maybe try a 16-18 mile (2.5-3 hour long) long run in the week and see how it goes.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cinnamongirl - Hope you’re ok and still doing some running. 👍

Magrawlas

Magrawlas - If race is delayed - let’s wait and see if it actually is delayed and for how long.  If you’re looking at running an even split sub 4 then 5:30 per km is probably too fast, even with allowing for the usual extra on GPS. There’s no need to stop at water stations...grab a cup and keep running...or walk for 10 seconds for less spillage. I’m still kind of 50/50 on how important gels/sports drinks are during a marathon....I’ve run some decent marathons with virtually no carbs or carb loading (but paced well). The training and getting the pacing right  is WAY more important than how many gels you take. And make your training log public as you’ll get much better feedback. 👍

Hi, thanks for the good advice. I've been drinking a sports drink on my last few long runs and its going down pretty good. I'll experiment with some gels when I can buy them next week.

also I've logged my recent runs and made them public. Cheers