2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Same and good choice of beers

Mikkey - I'll take 2021 👍

DPS - Thanks.You'll be doing it soon enough! Water fountains aren't going to be turned on for quite some time I'm assuming - which sucks because I don't carry. I had a ginger soda and two beers (Rodenbach, Belgium) afterwards and still didn't need to go for 8+ hr  

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Resident Historian

33 miles last week, a slight increase, but should have been a few more.  At least my Achilles tendon has been quiet lately.

I had an easy Saturday, planned 10 along the coast for Sunday. But right from the start I was sluggish, finding it hard to breathe. When I crossed a bridge near the ocean, I figured out why. The water was brown with floating white specks, and a stiff onshore breeze was churning the surf. Red tide, pushed ashore and releasing all sorts of @#$% into the air. The California version is less toxic than the Florida one (which really used to get to me). But my respiratory system wanted NO part of running. I turned around and bailed at 6 miles.

Yesterday I could still feel the throat tightness, and we can still smell it. For now, I'll try to get away from it by going inland to run.

Cinnamon, you'd hate this if you were still in this area!

ETA: Article on red tide from the LA Times:
       https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-12/rotting-stench-replaces-blue-flash-as-red-tide-sweeps-california-coast

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Running Problem

Problem Child

California stinks and New York is safe for pedestrians. Who knows what kind of crazyness can happen next. Maybe someone gets a moose mug or an age group award.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/us/new-york-city-pedestrian-deaths/index.html

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

California stinks and New York is safe for pedestrians. Who knows what kind of crazyness can happen next. Maybe someone gets a moose mug or an age group award.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/us/new-york-city-pedestrian-deaths/index.html

Not sure what California you are talking about - the Northern one is still pretty good and not stinky (though house prices re still crazy). The algae thing will go away soon I am pretty sure but it does look awesome at night!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Not sure what California you are talking about - the Northern one is still pretty good and not stinky (though house prices re still crazy). The algae thing will go away soon I am pretty sure but it does look awesome at night!

Just because it will go away doesn't mean it isn't currently a problem. Just like deaths in New York due to being a pedestrian will come back to normal levels. I wonder if cyclists are counted as pedestrians in their records because "those people" can be a hazard to runners from what I've learned on the internet.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

Just because it will go away doesn't mean it isn't currently a problem. 

If you want to find a place without problems you can end your existence right here and right now - this is your only way to nivana...

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you want to find a place without problems you can end your existence right here and right now - this is your only way to nivana...

Peace out.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Hey DWave, not sure if you're a twitch person (I actually wasn't until I got locked into a hotel room for two weeks).  My friend from MN has a friend who does DJ nights at First Ave (well, used to) which he now does on his twitch channel Wednesday and Saturday nights.  A lot of the stuff would be right up your alley (he was talking about opening for Front 242 the last time I tuned in).

Here's his radio dj page.

https://www.mpr.org/about/people/jrudh

edit:  I think tomorrow is featuring Depeche Mode, not sure if i'm up for all that.  But i'll probably be in there for a bit at some point.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CalBears

weather - I guess lockdown works great for you - PR-ing in all distances confirms that - another 3 months of this and you might for go for OTQ time 

I did another Hadd's test today, the previous one I did exactly 6 weeks ago and today's results are pretty encouraging:

140                150                 160                  170

04/03/20                       8:01             7:16                 6:53                 6:29

05/15/20                       7:48             7:02                 6:32                 6:11

The only questionable part of the run today was when I started @160 bpm and my HR went haywire, so, I tried to run by perceived 160 bpm effort - so, there can be some error there (looks like I still need to have some more reliable HR device Sad  ), but should not be too far from what I had today. I am going to do another test in 5-6-7 weeks - do not expect the same kind of progress, but any progress at this point will still be very encouraging..

Magrawlas

Calbears, why can't ya just tell me what I want to hear! Anyway my miles have taken a dive. I tweaked my hammy last Saturday and took four days off. Went for a slow hill run on Thursday and it was okay other than I slight cramp type feeling. Think I will rest until Monday and have another light run to test it.

Mikkeys and mark, I'll try those gels out. Are the caffeine ones any good? Big week there Mark, I'd take 25% of that right now.

Cinnamon girl, hope you find another way to celebrate in style I'm sure.

Jhudak, I see you're another sadistic committed runner with huge weekly miles on here. Where are all the broken crap guys like me?

Marky - congrats on the record week , it will definitely pay when you run that fast marathon. Though, remember - you always have an option to DNF to save you for future battles .

Magrawlas - it's impossible to say much about your future results based only on training. You need to have recent race results and, secondary, we need to know your average weekly mileage for the longer the better period of time.

maurten - that stuff more than twice expensive than my favorite Powerbar Powergel C2MAX - very tasty, very easy to consume even without water gels - um, yammy...

My week was awesome right until Saturday, when I switched from "let's dream big" mode back to "are you sure?" one. Saturday's and Sunday's runs were familiar struggle again - I even have to cut planned run on Sunday short. Nevertheless, mileage wise everything is pretty good:

Mon - 12.5 @8:27

Tue - 12.5 @7:30 (10 @150 bpm @7:15) am / 8.2 @8:29 pm

Wed - 12.5 @8:21 am / 8.2 @8:54 pm

Thu - 12.5 @8:29

Fri - 12.5 @7:32 (10 @150bpm @7:15) am / 8.2 @8:54 pm

Sat - 12.5 @8:55 am / 8.2 @9:01 pm

Sun - 8.2 @9:15

===

Total: 116.3 miles

CalBears

Calbears, why can't ya just tell me what I want to hear! 

Cultural differences - I am not an American and can only tell you what I think, not what you want to hear .

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkeys and mark, I'll try those gels out. Are the caffeine ones any good? Big week there Mark, I'd take 25% of that right now.

I’ve only used the non caffeine ones and they’re great for racing if you suffer from GI issues. I haven’t actually used gels in training for years, but there’s plenty of decent cheaper alternatives (SIS, High5 etc with caffeine) if you’ve got a strong stomach!

Cal - Nice progress! I don’t think I could constantly be looking at my HR during a run...do you have one of the datafields set up as average HR per lap (mile)?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Ha! Thus is my local public radio and I have listened to him many times!

Hey DWave, not sure if you're a twitch person (I actually wasn't until I got locked into a hotel room for two weeks).  My friend from MN has a friend who does DJ nights at First Ave (well, used to) which he now does on his twitch channel Wednesday and Saturday nights.  A lot of the stuff would be right up your alley (he was talking about opening for Front 242 the last time I tuned in).

Here's his radio dj page.

https://www.mpr.org/about/people/jrudh

edit:  I think tomorrow is featuring Depeche Mode, not sure if i'm up for all that.  But i'll probably be in there for a bit at some point.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

Cal - Nice progress! I don’t think I could constantly be looking at my HR during a run...do you have one of the datafields set up as average HR per lap (mile)?

Yes, my watch has avg HR field - not sure if it calculates for the latest lap or for the last mile or fro the whole run, but I use current HR and set the range +/-3 from the target value, when I set up a workout. I might try to use avg HR next time and see how it works. But yes, I have to look at the watch pretty often, though the alerts from the watch help.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yes, my watch has avg HR field - not sure if it calculates for the latest lap or for the last mile or fro the whole run, but I use current HR and set the range +/-3 from the target value, when I set up a workout. I might try to use avg HR next time and see how it works. But yes, I have to look at the watch pretty often, though the alerts from the watch help.

If I was doing the Hadd mini-test I’d probably change the HR datafield to Lap HR and set the lap at 2400m (and the first 2 laps would be a 3 mile w/u).

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)