2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

cinnamon girl

DPS: thank you for the offer! - I know the area I used to live not far from there. I met Ben and Candice at a race in MPLS in 2010. I was looking to see how far I'll be from Chain of Lakes and I see Lake Calhoun is no longer Lake Calhoun.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - sorry about the issue, but it might be a sign to ease up? I am still waiting on the sign from my training, hope it will never come but we all know - eventually...

It's worth consideration (putting aside the 100+ mile per week source..... Tongue), but...

a)...the training I've been doing the last few weeks is less intense than my norm.  I'm sticking with my normal schedule, except that I'm replacing the Tuesday and Friday track workouts with less intense workouts that focus on hills.   Nothing I do is going to the well, and I'm holding my normal sweet spot mileage.

b) this is not an overuse injury and there's no tissue damage.  Saw the podiatrist yesterday and got it ultrasounded - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the foot or ankle.  Lateral branch of the plantar fascia looks great; peroneal looks great; calcaneus looks great.

But...if you pinch my leg really hard right behind the knee on the outside, near the top of the fibula, my foot hurts.  And sitting in a chair makes it hurt also.  

PT, chiro, and podiatrist all agree, it's a compression of the sural/peroneal nerve at the top of my calf, compounded by some irritation of the sciatic nerve at s1 (where I sometimes have trouble anyway).  (here's an article that kinda explains where the compression is)

The likely immediate trigger is a hard fall I took Sunday before last.  While grabbing carry-out, I stepped in a pot hole, rolled my right ankle pretty badly, and fell down.  I was really worried about the right ankle, and then relieved when it cleared relatively quickly.  But we think that fall knocked some stuff out of alignment (my sacrum was rotated and my left femur needed a good satisfying yank), and that quickly resulted in my gait being slightly off, and extra tension and compression on the nerve, and voila.

Graston over the last few days on that area has worked wonders.  I did some test walking yesterday, and a bit of running today (4x.5 mile jog with 1 minute walk; and then an hour later did 2x1 mile with 1 minute walk).  And while it's not completely pain-free, it's much improved.  Since the tissue is undamaged and strong (other than losing a slight bit from the week of nothing) I should be able to ramp up without much difficulty.

I am going to change things up a little bit though, and reduce my long walks.  I used to get a deep tissue massage every two weeks, and also swam and pool-ran multiple times a week.  With the pandemic, those all went away (cue tiny violin).  PT thinks that the absence of those things is really hurting me in terms of lack of tissue mobility and also too much compression on my spine (aquatic exercise decompresses my spine, while long walks are as compressive as running).  I'm just having a lot more nerviness all over than I normally do.  So....less walking and spend that time instead doing some extended foam-rolling/self-massage as well as some decompressive things like laying on my back with my legs propped up on a sofa.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Awesome. Yep, Bde Maka Ska. Ben has been making my training plans. The river is also pretty great. Ft Snelling state park is still perfect eith no bugs and lost of soft surfaces right now.

DPS: thank you for the offer! - I know the area I used to live not far from there. I met Ben and Candice at a race in MPLS in 2010. I was looking to see how far I'll be from Chain of Lakes and I see Lake Calhoun is no longer Lake Calhoun.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

rovatti:  have you seen any of the PMIS (pediatric multi-inflammatory syndrome) in your neck of the woods.  

Hey OMR!   My hospital has had several cases, but it's currently SO VAGUE about what it is or isn't... I doubt it will amount to much in the end.

dw - I think the pool (more than anything else) has been the secret to your durability over the years.  Can't you just jump into the Potomac once in a while?  or erect a giant kiddy pool in the yard?

pepperjack

pie man

DPS - ever go to the Wednesday night dance party at First Ave?  Only made it once to First Ave in all my visits (on a non-wednesday to see the Reverend Horton Heat).  I do wear the shirt heaps, though.

Did a little TT on the track yesterday (are tracks not open for y'all?).  Didn't go to the well enough to be happy at 5k so I did some extra laps and called 4 miles.  I think that track is a legit mile track though.  Was trying at the end to get under 28, but missed by 4 seconds.  Still a long way from the 19:0x 5k on that same track back in 2018.  But had to try something to keep up the variety.  Might do some sort of virtual vert challenge over the weekend.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dw - I think the pool (more than anything else) has been the secret to your durability over the years.  Can't you just jump into the Potomac once in a while?  or erect a giant kiddy pool in the yard?

Hah - I was actually debating getting one of those temporary pools in the back yard and getting a tether.  Backyard is not very even though.

But yeah, I agree.  I'm extremely injury prone - I've just been fortunate enough to figure out the training recipe that works for me.  But now I'm missing crucial ingredients, and I haven't found a good substitute yet.

PJ - tracks are unquestionably closed here.  Police cruise by now and then to make sure nobody's on it.

If you click on this and go to the second image, you can see what Washington-Liberty track looks like.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

I guess i'm starting to forget how silly the east coast can be.  I thought CA was going to be as bad or worse, but it's pretty far from the case. (i'm talking overall not the Covid stuff)

11:11 3,000 (recent)

kcam

Depends on the place in Ca, pepperjack.  Here in the South Bay they are still closed (at least the 4 nearest me are).  Odd because all of the neighborhood park tennis courts have been unchained and are open (my wife plays tennis).  I guess public parks are OK but school campus are not OK to open, which is where the tracks are.

Marky_Mark_17

All time record mileage week for me and I was pretty happy with how it went.  I tried to keep the easy stuff really easy and felt really strong during the 2 long runs.  Good track session on Saturday as well.  Some local guys are running a low key 10,000m event at the Lovelock Track on 20 June, so that will be fun, a lot of the quick masters guys are running like Nick Moore and Greg Darbyshire so should be a fun hit-out.

Weekly for period: From: 05/18/2020 To 05/24/2020

Date Name Distance
                      in mi
                      Duration Avg Pace
                      per mi
                      Elevation Gain
                      in ft
                      05/18/2020 All kinds of struggle after doing weights for the first time in almost 2 months 5.07 00:38:30 07:36 482
                      05/19/2020 Long line of vans at the courier depot 8.71 01:05:08 07:29 554
                      05/20/2020 Stunning almost-winter morning 8.10 00:55:53 06:54 282
                      05/21/2020 The Double Album Long Run, Episode 1: Nine Inch Nails - “The Fragile” 16.31 01:59:56 07:21 932
                      05/22/2020 Recovery cruise 4.99 00:39:09 07:51 469
                      05/23/2020 Stretched the legs out a bit 6.94 00:41:47 06:01 36
                      05/24/2020 Nothing like finishing a long run going up Upper Harbour Bridge into a screaming headwind 16.46 02:00:05 07:18 879

Total distance: 66.58mi

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

Marky - congrats on the mileage PR! Just curious - are you going to continue your usual training or are you going to tweak your training a bit for the goal marathon?

My week was fine, as usual basically - I discovered though that even two so called workouts, namely, runs at elevated HR of 150 bpm, make me quite sluggish next day. Nevertheless:

Mon - 15.15 @8:26

Tue - 15.15 @7:41 (11 @150bpm @7:13)

Wed - 15.15 @8:56

Thu - 15.15 @9:12

Fri - 15.15 @7:37 (11 @150 bpm @7:08)

Sat - 15.15 @9:12

Sun - 15.15 @8:51

===

Total: 106 miles

Half of the training plan from "Sir Mikkey Rourke Double U #FFF" is finished - 10 weeks of 100+ miles. "Flight" continues as planned. Not sure I will be able to finish another 10 weeks like these (due to good reasons, possibly) but I plan to continue. If it goes well with visible results, I might try to continue it indefinitely. Though we all know how impossible to plan ahead even for a couple of months nowdays...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

jhudak55

Marky & Cal - Awesome mileage!

My week was 51.9 total with a 5k time trial to finish out the week.

M: 7 miles easy (8:55)

T: 10 miles w/ 3 @ Tempo (7:15, 7:14, 7:11)

W: 10 miles easy (8:44)

T: 10.3 miles easy (8:47)

F: 3.1 miles easy w/ 5 Strides (8:35)

S: 7.4 miles easy (9:05)

S: 5k time trial in 20:06 plus a 0.9 mile warmup

The highlight of my week was the 5k time trial. I was hoping to get under 20 minutes, but came up a little short. It was a big PR nonetheless, my previous PR (and the last 5k I ran) was in a race last Fourth of July in 21:02.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Marky_mark - seconding the congrats on the mileage PR.

Calbears - I'm guessing you're just really not used to anything faster than easy effort at this point.  It will come, I think.

jhudak - congrats!  Where did you end up doing it?

My week:

35 miles
                            M: Streaming yoga and leg strengthwork
                            T: Streaming yoga and upper body weights/core
                            W: 4x0.5 mile jog outside with 1 minute walk, streaming yoga, 2x1 mile jog on treadmill with 1 minute walk, streaming yoga.
                            Th: 4 miles easy (9:13) on treadmill, 3 miles very easy (8:57) on treadmill, and streaming yoga.
                            F: Streaming yoga, upper body weights/core, unloading work.
                            Sa: 7 miles easy (9:01) on treadmill, streaming yoga, and 3 miles easy (8:55) on treadmill.
                            Su: 12 miles on treadmill, including 8 fake Iwo Jima hills (slower speed on treadmill than the norm). Followed with some leg strengthwork, and then 2 miles easy outside (9:15), followed by streaming yoga.

got cleared to run, and ramped up quickly.  The foot improved with each run, and pain was completely gone by this weekend (the running essentially flossed the nerve out).  Today I tested out some faster running with another fake Iwo Jima hill workout on the treadmill - I did reduce the speeds on the treadmill both to allow for lost fitness and because I wanted to be careful as I reintroduced stuff.  Before the foot acted up, I was doing the 2 minutes "hills" at 9.2 MPH (6:30 ish pace) and the 30 second "stride" at 10.7-10.8 MPH (around 5:30 pace); I've now backed those down to 8.0-8.6 MPH for the hills (essentially 7-7:30 pace) and 9.5 MPH (around 6:20 pace) for the stride.

I'm also trying to use this time to work on running more evenly - my left leg has gotten a bit weaker than the right, with some visible atrophy over even just the past week.  So I'm supposed to work on getting myself back to pushing evenly off of both - running on the treadmill helps me concentrate on that.

jhudak55

jhudak - congrats!  Where did you end up doing it?

I ran it around Haines Point. A friend who had previously run a 5k there pointed me to http://www.racepacket.com/tidalbasin/. The loop using Buckeye Drive is 5,142 m, I wheeled out the last 142 m and ran the loop less the last 142. Worked out great except for all of the closed off parking.

Good to see you are back to training. 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Mark- Nice week and mileage.  Super jealous you can even think about running a race/time trial with people.

Cal-Just out there crushing miles and keeping it steady.  Impressed with the dedication.

Jhudak-Nice time trial.  Always good to have a successful fitness check.

DW-Yea.  The prospect of running with a mask is pretty bad.  Although, i am really going to have to do early runs because even my low traffic running areas are getting pretty busy now that the weather is back up in the 70s.

Pepperjack-I have gone to those at First Ave.  I love that place.  Best venue in the Twin Cities IMO.

My week. 92 and change miles.  Everything was pretty good, except todays run which even at 7:50 still didn't feel super recovery.  it was almost all on soft and somewhat loose surfaces which has been helping my knee work on stabilization.  It was also the hottest it has been all year and pretty humid.  About 15 degrees hotter than anything i have run in so far.

M 18-May 9.02 1:10:09 Running really slow felt good, so I kept it slow. Lunch run, Pike island.
                                    5.01 0:36:31 Easy w/ 6 x 100m strides. nokomis out and back. legs feeling a little better.
                                T 19-May 11.13 1:23:20 Easy Skipped strides as early morning hammies were a bit tight.
                                W 20-May 12.06 1:23:53 4 x 1mi in 5:40-5:50 w/ 800m recovery w/ 3mi w/u & 3mi c/d.... Lost focus on the last mile repeat. Got 3 laps in and realized i was running slow. Picked it up the last .25. Ran it on the track, so they were all true miles, the 800 were 9m short due to starting the next mile. 5:38.8, 5:42.2, 5:41.8, 5:47.9
                                Th 21-May 12.46 1:33:24 Felt really good. Easy run on the softs paths of Fort snelling, but ended up long due to trails being shut and having to turn around. Mixed in 6x100 striders in the last mile to make up fo the skipped ones on tuesday.
                                F 22-May 11.44 1:24:13 Felt Ok. Was frustrated so it was a good mental cleansing after an annoying work day. I did 6x100m after i stopped my watch because Julian wanted to talk for a bit after I got back from run and was in the front yard. (.5 extra)
                                Sa 23-May 20.09 2:15:45 14mi easy @7:00 followed by 6mi fast finish @ 6:10-6:15/mi. This went pretty well. Just took some gatorade at mile 14 and few cliff bars for breakfast. Ran this at 11 am. Mix of cloudy, sunny, humid, and downpour of rain. In summary quite a run. 6:14, 6:18, 6:14, 6:09, 6:14, 6:14 on the end, none were painful...but they did not feel great.
                                Su 24-May 11.01 1:26:18 This was hot (77) humid and just a slog. Ran pike both directions. Just kept slowing down to make it recovery. Felt every mile of yesterday's run today. Need to stick to those cool morning runs. Woof

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k