2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Probably. Or run more.

Wow, you definitely need to take a chill pill.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Any specific advice you can provide in public or as a DM as a lawyer is always welcome. We also want this to be a kind, welcoming place.

Not necessarily my area of law, though not too far from it.  My take (as someone trained lawyer who is not your lawyer - no attorney-client relationship, I'm giving you my thoughts and not legal advice, etc...) is that:

1) this is a privately run website, and in general whatever the owner (Eric) and his designates (the moderators say) goes.  You say Covid 19 talk goes in x location and only x location, we say sure.

2) as far as your legal obligations go: you want to prevent posting of copyrighted stuff or other IP.  You want to make sure that our personal information, including our passwords, is not exposed (or to notify us promptly if it is).  You want to make sure nobody's doxing anyone else.  You want to make sure information about kids is not being shared (best if they just don't participate at all).  If someone using this site says they want a copy of their log and other information from this site, or that they want that information removed, you need to give it to them/delete it.  You do not want to be collecting information from the users of this site and then selling it without making sure your users are aware of that practice and have the ability to choose not to participate.

3) other than point 2, again...it's your world to structure and shape as you choose.  We just play in it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Probably. Or run more.

And I always was defending US from my friends in another country saying that regular Americans are nice - it's all politicians' fault. Was I wrong, didn't I? Now I understand why US has a nerve to teach other nations what's wrong and what's right - unfortunately, as we see here it's not politicians, it's regular people. My goodness... 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Probably. Or run more.

Yep, good idea and thanks for dropping in. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Probably. Or run more.

definitely run more. It helps.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

glad to hear you are safe.  way back, we lived in hopkins, and frequented what was then called “lake calhoun” from time to time.  sad to see what is happening to the lake street neighborhood, and everything else.  totally understandable, but yet tragic.

Going to grind out a less than full effort time trial on June 21st for the marathon. Hoping my smaller local marathon in late October gets held.  I'm in Minneapolis and things are pretty crappy right now. I'll keep the discussion out of here cause this should be about running but people can message me if they want to talk about it.  Could smell the burning plastic and who knows what on my run this morning....

We are safe and a few miles south of the main protests but with my wife 8 months pregnant and a 2 y.o. we are staying home.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - I want to challenge you to a virtual 5k race this year (out and back route). You can choose the date. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

totally understandable, but yet tragic.

1am post-shift dispatch: Brooklyn is burning tonight (Barclays Center neighborhood)

CalBears

My week was a struggle. Every day was tough (maybe except Friday) - was questioning again (of course) if it worth it - my weekly pace got back to 9+ minutes per mile from ~8:30 for the previous couple of weeks. On a positive site - just shy of 14 miles from 500 miles for the month of May - 3 month in a row with 400+ miles per month - never have done that before.

Mon - 8.21 @8:56

Tue -  18.21 @9:16

Wed - 18:23 @9:00

Thu - 18:23 @9:14

Fri - 20.20 @8:42

Sat - 17.23 @9:27

Sun - off

===

Total: 100.3 miles

CalBears

1am post-shift dispatch: Brooklyn is burning tonight (Barclays Center neighborhood)

Here we go again - Russia is back into a picture and blamed - now for the death of George Floyd - I guess, per "their" logic, those 4 police officers were the Russian agents... How far the stupidness can go?

Marky_Mark_17

US folks - seems like it's gone a bit crazy over there.  Keep safe, everyone.

Me- would've been the Christchurch Marathon today so I did a 35k long run.  It was pretty windy and miserable, but still not nearly as bad as the weather was in Christchurch for the race last year!  It was nice to reflect on last year's half down there and catching up with Steve and Watson afterwards.  I hope I'll get to do the marathon there next year, depends how I feel after Rotorua.  Anyway, another decent week in the books, May ended up being an all-time record mileage month for me at 449km / 279 miles.

Weekly for period: From: 05/25/2020 To 05/31/2020

Date Name Distance
                        in mi
                        Duration Avg Pace
                        per mi
                        Elevation Gain
                        in ft
                        05/26/2020 Saw another runner in Unsworth Reserve for the first time ever and it wasn’t even Mike 7.59 00:56:19 07:25 509
                        05/27/2020 6x3 min hard / 30 sec jog 8.10 00:53:38 06:37 262
                        05/28/2020 Love a good Bomb Point loop 6.94 00:46:46 06:44 171
                        05/29/2020 Ok. I’ll admit it. I’m starting to get a bit sick of hills. 7.46 00:56:39 07:36 594
                        05/30/2020 The king is dead, long live the king 4.98 00:34:27 06:55 121
                        05/31/2020 Not the Christchurch Marathon 21.79 02:40:01 07:21 840

Total distance: 56.87mi

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

and another 1am running-related post from me.....

The dept store (under our apartment) was just looted (5 min ago).  Windows smashed in.  White guys taking stuff out. Helicopters buzzing overhead.

Who can sleep with this???   My nerves are shot. I'm moving to New Zealand!

Marky_Mark_17

As long as you can deal with the occasional person cheating on Strava segments, you’ll be fine here!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

jhudak55

My Week:

57.miles

M: 5.1 miles easy w/ 4 strides (8:48)

T: 6 miles easy (8:41)

W: 10 miles w/ 3 @ Tempo (7:07, 7:09, 7:07)

T: 5 miles easy (8:56)

F: 5.1 miles easy (8:56)

S: 10 miles easy (8:46)

S: 15.8 mile progression long run with the first 6 @ 8:58, next 5 @ 8:06, last 4 @ 7:27 and a 0.8 mile cool down

Temperature and humidity were brutal Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, but cleared up over the weekend and got some good runs in. Had just over 200 miles for the month. That is just the third time ever going over the 200 mark for me.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

and another 1am running-related post from me.....

The dept store (under our apartment) was just looted (5 min ago).  Windows smashed in.  White guys taking stuff out. Helicopters buzzing overhead.

Things are just surreal.  I'm used to protests and such (I mean, it's practically an institution here) and sometimes those protests include a violent edge.  But they are usually predictable, like tides.  I know where to go and where to avoid.  This time, I've seen stuff erupting in places where you don't usually see it.    I am glad I now live in the nearby suburbs of DC, rather than a mile from the White House like I used to.

Cal - I have to admit I don't quite see the Russia connection.

Marky_mark - isn't it nice to run and think "I'm glad I'm not racing today - that would have sucked."

Jhudak - this weekend was just glorious.

My week:

65 miles
                                M: Streaming yoga and upper body weights/core
                                T: 10.5 miles on treadmill, including an alternating hill/tempo workout - two 70 second hills, then 10 minute tempo (6:50 pace), two more hills, 10 minute tempo (6:45), two more hills. Followed with 2 miles cooldown outside, leg strengthwork, and streaming yoga.
                                W: 7 miles very easy outside (9:16), streaming yoga, 7 miles easy on treadmill (9:02), drills and four strides.
                                Th: Upperbody weights/core in morning; streaming yoga in afternoon.
                                F: 12.5 miles on treadmill, including a hill workout of 8 repeats of 2:00 strong on 3.0 incline, 1:30 easy, 0:30 fast, 1:00 easy. Followed with some leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                                Sa: 7 miles easy outside (9:02), drills and strides, streaming yoga, and 3.5 miles easy (8:54) on treadmill.
                                Su: 14 miles progressive, split as first 4 miles averaging 9:12, next 4 averaging 7:51, next 6 averaging 6:55, and then then a 1.5 mile cooldown. Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga

Back in business after the brief nerve/foot thing.

This morning, I decided to risk doing my long run on a trail that's been notoriously crowded (Jhudak - I took the Custis out to the W&OD to Gallows Road and back).  Trail was nowhere near as bad as I expected, though I did have to step off 2 or 3 times.  Still, for nearly 16 miles, that's not bad, and much better than it has been.  They allowed the local bars to open up at 50% capacity this weekend, and my sense is that's the reason for the lighter trail use on Sunday morning....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.