2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CalBears

Cal - I want to challenge you to a virtual 5k race this year (out and back route). You can choose the date. 👍

Mikkey - you know I am all for it and I am not afraid of losing if I know I gave my best. But preparation for 5K is a little bit different - so, let me finish the base build phase first, at least to some degree(I am not sure I will be able to continue for 20 weeks but a few more for sure), then maybe run a marathon TT late July and if you are ok, we could plan for late August-early September 5K challenge? We may even do it few times 

DW - I think pulling Russian connection again is just stupid and disgraceful, but not too disgraceful for CNN apparently. Glad you recovered from your issues and had a regular good pretty complicated week - now all you need tis he pools to open 

rovatti - hope you are safe and get through this without unnecessary troubles...

Marky - hope to see your duel with that "young gun" - too bad I can't be in the first row to watch it - though I do not think he will accept the challenge anyway.

jhudak - I like your pacing - seriously - just stay out of injuries as long as you can and the speed will come. Especially if you are not too old - sorry, do not remember your age.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Cal-Impressed with grinding.

Mark-I just don't get the psychology of faking KOM.  It is a app that means nothing.  To be a decent runner and to cheat repeatedly (I looked at a bunch of his KOM and he has the super how HR on almost all of them)...i just don't get going out day after day and cheating to pick up meaningless titles.  A real Kip Littleton level head job.

Jealous of of you Kiwi's being able to meet up in the real world and say hi.

JH-Way to consistantly get the miles.

DW-Nice week.  Same with me on the leg imbalance.  I'm actually going in to get evaluated at a sports clinic with an actual doctor who is a is a former Olympic Trials Marathoner.  I keep having issues with my left knee and have very different wear patterns on my left shoe bottom.  I've been doing exercises, but going to try to narrow it down to is it a quad, hammy, calf issue..hip mobility or who knows what.  Hopefully I can figure it out, but my lower left back is the thing that has made me stop running multiple times.

Me- I live in Minneapolis and it has been a hell of a week.  I have good friends in the protests, friends working with the homeless who had their camps destroyed by the city during the week, and friends who write for the local news papers who got shot with pepper bullets and smoke canisters.  My wife is due in 2 weeks with kid 2 and we are 3 miles from all of this, and we have been fine, but it is pretty stressful.  I have been very worried about having to go to the hospital with her in labor while all this is going on.  All i'll say is all 4 cops should be in jail.  Meant to run 88 miles on the week but with some doubles due to busy life and some bad math while doing some different loops, ended up just over 90.  Going to drop significantly next week.

Day/Date/Distance/Time/Pace/Notes

M 25-May 9.01 1:10:51 0:07:52 Easy kept it a very slow jog. Felt good by the end. Definitely needed the slow recovery.
          4.59 0:32:40 0:07:07 Easy w/ 6 x 100m strides. feeling better
      T 26-May 11.18 1:28:13 0:07:53 Easy. no strides. julian was up all night and I got almost no sleep. legs felt ok but just incredibly tired and sleepy.
      W 27-May 11.83 1:23:25 0:07:03 6 x 1km @ 5:40-5:50/mi w/ 600m recovery (3mi w/u & 3mi c/d). Make sure the recovery pace is nice and easy.
      Th 28-May 6.47 0:47:45 0:07:23 Will make this a double. Got out the door late after Julian waking me in the middle of the night and I couldn't fall back asleep. Felt good through. Did striders at the end. Was scheduled to be just a 11 miler but split into 2x6 milers.
          6.08 0:43:31 0:07:09 Lunch run and thinking about my city.
      F 29-May 11.28 1:23:51 0:07:26 Easy w/ 6 x 100m strides. Ran through the smell of burning plastic and god knows what else. Legs feeling good, head not so much.
      Sa 30-May 18.01 2:00:42 0:06:42 12mi easy followed by 6mi fast finish @ 6:10-6:15/mi. Felt the mile 17 that has a uphill, but the rest felt good. Little windy out there and the sun was a bit draining, but a solid run. Ran out some of my frustration. 6:13.8, 6:14.3, 6:12.6, 6:15.9, 6:17.5 (ouch), 6:12.2 on the last 6 miles
      Su 31-May 13.23 1:36:30 0:07:18 Felt really good. Ran in the shade of pike island and it was cool, shady, and legs were cruising. Added and out an back to make it 12 and should have turned around at 9.25 but did the math in my head wrong and turned at 9.75 adding on an extra mile onto the run. Really slowed at the end to try to be really easy the extra distance. For the most part this felt pretty effortless.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Marky - hope to see your duel with that "young gun" - too bad I can't be in the first row to watch it - though I do not think he will accept the challenge anyway.

He was suspiciously contrite at the end of the discussion there where he appeared to agree to the head-to-head - like he gave in just a bit too easily for someone who had just played the 'don't you know who I am!' card.  I don't trust him and I think he is planning something else sneaky!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - you know I am all for it and I am not afraid of losing if I know I gave my best. But preparation for 5K is a little bit different - so, let me finish the base build phase first, at least to some degree(I am not sure I will be able to continue for 20 weeks but a few more for sure), then maybe run a marathon TT late July and if you are ok, we could plan for late August-early September 5K challenge? We may even do it few times 

Sounds good to me, we can make it best out of 3 if I lose the first one

We’re officially allowed gatherings of up to 6 now....but I won’t be surprised if we eventually go back into lockdown with a second wave - we’ve had amazing weather and the beaches are packed and social distancing has gone out the window. Hopefully there’ll be a low-key marathon I can jump into before the end of the year. I haven’t looked at the BAA website, but if Andres is correct then I might be eligible for Boston 2021 with my 2019 BQ time? If not then I’ll target 2022.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

cinnamon girl

Are you able to run at all Mikkey? It seems like it's been forever and a day 

DPS -  I left Monday just hours before the fucking cop murdered George. My hotel was on Lake St. I spent all weekend walking (no running) around Uptown and Bde Maka Ska. It was so beautiful and peaceful before. Black Walnut Bakery.

M: 5.2 mi (8:05)
            T: 6 mi w/8 x 30 sec fast
            W: 9.1 mi (7:49)
            T: 8 mi (8:56)
            F: off 
            S: 10.3 mi (8:01)
            S: 16 mi (7:57)

I didn't want to take Friday off but felt pressured to attend an after-work social. One and done!

jhudak55

DW: Good to see that the W&OD is clearing out a bit. I'd previously done quite a bit of running on it, but for a while it was packed.

Cal: Thanks. I'm 27 and that's currently my plan - get consistent mileage (and hopefully stay injury free).

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Glad you enjoyed our city while you could. 

DPS -  I left Monday just hours before the fucking cop murdered George. My hotel was on Lake St. I spent all weekend walking (no running) around Uptown and Bde Maka Ska. It was so beautiful and peaceful before. Black Walnut Bakery.

I didn't want to take Friday off but felt pressured to attend an after-work social. One and done!

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve never stopped running completely...135 junk miles for me last month...which is not worthy to be posted on this thread.    My heel spur won’t be going away unless I have an op, so I’m not going to ramp up when there is no race to ramp up for. I’m still doing the strength training and havent put on any weight...so I’m still confident that I can PR at marathon distance when the time is right. 👍.  Great week from you btw! I can’t remember if you’ve already qualified for Boston next year if it happens?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

cinnamon girl

I’ve never stopped running completely...135 junk miles for me last month...which is not worthy to be posted on this thread.    My heel spur won’t be going away unless I have an op, so I’m not going to ramp up when there is no race to ramp up for. I’m still doing the strength training and havent put on any weight...so I’m still confident that I can PR at marathon distance when the time is right. 👍.  Great week from you btw! I can’t remember if you’ve already qualified for Boston next year if it happens?

Ok. Sounds good 👍 My weeks aren't worthy either but I still post them 

I did run Vancouver May 2019 so whatever that might get me I'm not sure.

From the Internet.

Late last-week recap - third week in a row at 40, dropping volume/quality this week but running a time trial (2 miles or 5K, leaving it a bit open-ended until I actually go out on Sunday) to get some info for goal setting going forward.

M - off

Tu - 6.4ish miles, time-based fartlek: 5 min easy, 1 min hard, 2 min jog, 30 sec hard, repeat. 4 sets plus warmup/cooldown. Doubled with a short run in the afternoon.

W - 5 miles easy

Th - a modified version of my club's workout suggestion. 6-5-4-3-2 min hard with half time recovery - started off around tempo (~6:55 pace) and just aimed to cut down a bit/bump effort up with each successive interval. 3 min jog after the 2 minutes hard, and then another 5 min tempo (6:54 pace). Was too hot for a straight tempo run, but I do need to start working on that LT again so this was a fun mixed-pace way to continue getting back in touch with it. 8.7ish miles total with warmup/cooldown.

F - off

Sa - 6+ miles easy

Su - 12 mile long, 7:49 average/moderate effort. Stayed up too late drinking beer on the deck so it was a bit of a struggle. Legs and lungs felt great, weather was beautiful, but stomach was not happy with me. Good run anyway!

5 days is feeling super easy, 5 miles is feeling easy as a short run. Not going to force a streak at this point, but I'll likely play it by ear whether I take a full rest day or not going forward. I find it easier to build volume if I'm running at least a little bit every day.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hello comrades!

My name is Calbears, old, married, 2 kids, originally from Russia, moved to US 13 years ago. Currently live in SF Bay area.

Welcome to the thread old dude. 👍

Marky_Mark_17

Me - a bit of Strava chat turned into an invite to join Nick Moore and Dion O'Neale for a Sunday long run with 1km at MP / 1km off.  It was a good workout and nice to have some company.  They are both really good Masters runners and ~2:40 marathoners - Dion actually placed 3rd at Hawkes Bay last year with a 2:38 on a flat-but-not-fast course.  The MP segments actually ended up 5-10s/km quicker than MP, Nick was feeling good and pushed it a bit and so I worked to try and keep up with him.  I was definitely feeling it by the last couple of repeats but it was nice to get a good long workout in the bag.

Right hip was really niggly on Wed/Thurs but seems to have come right now.  I'm trying a new osteopath tomorrow so we'll see what she thinks.

The other good news is that it looks like we might move to a reduced level of lockdown next week.  At Level 1, basically we would be life as normal but just with very tight border controls (a 14-day mandatory quarantine for anyone entering the country).  It's looking promising for races from July onwards.

Weekly for period: From: 06/01/2020 To 06/07/2020

Date Name Distance
                          in mi
                          Duration Avg Pace
                          per mi
                          Elevation Gain
                          in ft
                          06/02/2020 Let’s never be apart for this long again, Tamaki Drive 8.91 01:06:35 07:28 177
                          06/03/2020 A little bit of MP and a little bit of fog 9.43 01:04:48 06:52 266
                          06/04/2020 Easy breezy 6.85 00:53:03 07:45 479
                          06/05/2020 Putting in the work 9.35 01:01:53 06:37 272
                          06/06/2020 Felt best on this run while doing hill sprints 🤷‍♂️ 6.63 00:50:24 07:36 643
                          06/07/2020 1km on (MP), 1km off with Dion and Nick 16.77 01:48:25 06:28 141

Total distance: 57.94mi

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

124th Boston Marathon might be a big party with how many of us have qualifiers. Might actually be able to make a brunch out of it. I’ll most likely be flying solo for the weekend so I’ll probably be pretty free.

46 miles all easy this week. I’ve never felt so unproductive.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

jhudak55

My Week:

54.5.miles

M: 3.1 miles easy (9:15)

T: 5.1 miles easy (9:01)

W: 5 miles easy (9:23)

T: 5 miles w/ 3 at tempo (7:04, 7:02, 6:59)

F: 10.2 miles easy (8:47)

S: 10 miles easy (8:46)

S: 16 mile long run (8:23)

Good week, had a solid tempo run Thursday night. The workout went really well, I comfortably exceeded my goal paces despite it being a pretty humid evening.  I've been slowly speeding up workouts based on my 5k TT two weeks ago, if all goes well I'll be running them at 6:54 in a couple weeks.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

53 miles for me this week.

14 today with 4 at average 6:43 pace which I think is roughly my current 10k pace. That was my first “quality run” in about a year so I’m guessing that Cal is now officially shitting himself. 👍