2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

cinnamon girl

M: 6 mi (8:17)
    T: 3 mi (8:08), 10 x 40 sec fast/60 sec rec, 3 mi (7:58)
    W: 9.1 mi (8:12)
    T: off
    F: 6 mi (8:33)
    S: 13 mi (7:57) +350 ft gain
    S: 15 mi (7:59) +800 ft gain

Nap time 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

65 miles
      M: Streaming yoga and upper body weights/core
      T: 12.5 miles on treadmill, including an alternating hill/tempo workout - two 70 second hills, then 10 minute tempo (6:33 pace), two more hills, 10 minute tempo (6:33), two more hills. Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
      W: 7 miles very easy outside (9:14), drills and four strides, streaming yoga, 7 miles easy on treadmill (9:06).
      Th: Upperbody weights/core in morning; streaming yoga in afternoon.
      F: 12.5 miles on treadmill, including a hill workout of 8 repeats of 2:00 strong on 3.0 incline, 1:30 easy, 0:30 fast, 1:00 easy. Followed with some leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
      Sa: 7 miles easy outside (9:11), drills and strides, streaming yoga, and 3.5 miles easy (9:12) on treadmill.
      Su: 12 miles progressive, split as first 4 miles averaging 9:08, next 4 averaging 7:41, next 4 averaging 7:08, and then then a 3.5 mile cooldown (this was supposed to be 14 progressive, but I shut down the marathon effort section early, since it felt like I was working too hard and my breathing wasn't great). Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.

Marky_mark: glad that you found a new osteopath - good luck with that.
      Brewing: 46 miles easy ain't nothing.
      jhudak: as I recall, Thursday night was definitely a bit rough - good job on the tempo.
      Mikkey: I'm assuming you're being sarcastic about the "4 miles at 10K pace"? No way I could do 4 miles at 10K pace outside of a race.
      Cinnamon: another nice consistent week from you.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Marky - now, when it's time to think about your upcoming target marathon, how are you going to "find" your target marathon pace? Based on shorter races results or do you have a way "calculate" it from some set of specific workouts?

Brew - last 3 years 46 miles week would be my highlight of the year 

DW - they opened public pools in our county starting this week. Is this a case for your place? I know you are highly dependent on it.

14 today with 4 at average 6:43 pace which I think is roughly my current 10k pace. That was my first “quality run” in about a year so I’m guessing that Cal is now officially shitting himself. 👍

Mikkey - I discovered few days ago that apparently I have a white privilege - so, I should not be shitting from anything or from anybody .

My week was better than the previous one. I suspect that it because last week I didn't have any "workouts" at all and this week I only had one (instead of regular two). Runs felt much easier though I kind of still underperformed my 10 miler at an elevated HR.

Mon - 12.51 @9:11 am / 8.24 @9:15

Tue - 12.54 @9:18

Wed - 12.52 @7:33 (10 @152 bpm @7:18) am / 8:31 @9:09

Thu - 12.52 @8:59 am / 8:20 @8:48 pm

Fri - 8:22 @8:33

Sat - 12.53 @8:38

Sun - 6.52 @8:30

===

Total: 102.1 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - they opened public pools in our county starting this week. Is this a case for your place? I know you are highly dependent on it.

As far as I can tell, nothing yet.

It's a little complicated, because there are 5 different jurisdictions in 3 states/districts with pools I could go to, if open, so I have to check each one. And the three states/districts (DC/Maryland/Virginia) each have a slightly different stance on reopening.  But I don't see any indications that any pools that I could access are open to me (I think there are some membership outdoor pools that have been allowed to open in Virginia)

The pool closest to me may be reopening for lap swimming only in a few weeks.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I discovered few days ago that apparently I have a white privilege - so, I should not be shitting from anything or from anybody .

it’s kind of funny that you had crap from Slammin a few months ago when he openly slagged you off because you are Russian. I guess the mods thought that was ok.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

pepperjack

pie man

Haven’t seen results for the 50k/100k/100M anywhere yet.  Did see the 100m filled up before race day.  And saw a picture of a friend who was up there.  Not sure how you judge a success or a failure at this point?

Next up is Never Summer.  Haven’t cancelled yet and I saw something where they responded to a question with a ‘looks promising’ comment.  They talked about wave starts already so that seems to be their angle.  I’m very high on the waiting list, maybe too high in fact.  I have a feeling a lot of spots will open up.  And I am not sure if I can even do it, last time I left the state I had to do 14 days in solitary.  And I don’t think work will pay this time around...

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Haven’t seen results for the 50k/100k/100M anywhere yet.  Did see the 100m filled up before race day.  And saw a picture of a friend who was up there.  Not sure how you judge a success or a failure at this point?

Next up is Never Summer.  Haven’t cancelled yet and I saw something where they responded to a question with a ‘looks promising’ comment.  They talked about wave starts already so that seems to be their angle.  I’m very high on the waiting list, maybe too high in fact.  I have a feeling a lot of spots will open up.  And I am not sure if I can even do it, last time I left the state I had to do 14 days in solitary.  And I don’t think work will pay this time around...

I think that if a race goes off, and it's not a superspreader event, it's a success at this point.

Interesting on the 14 day quarantine requirement.  I'm not sure if they still have that in Virginia (they excluded DMV travel from the quarantine requirement, at which point I stopped worrying about it)

Running Problem

Problem Child

As far as I can tell, nothing yet.

It's a little complicated, because there are 5 different jurisdictions in 3 states/districts with pools I could go to, if open, so I have to check each one. And the three states/districts (DC/Maryland/Virginia) each have a slightly different stance on reopening.  But I don't see any indications that any pools that I could access are open to me (I think there are some membership outdoor pools that have been allowed to open in Virginia)

The pool closest to me may be reopening for lap swimming only in a few weeks.

Local pools require lane reservations and only one swimmer per lane. I believe you're allowed 45 minutes to swim and pretty much you leave afterwards. The is ONE gym my mother in law goes to and I'm going strictly off memory of what she said. I DO know she said the ladies who usually just hang out and socialize aren't allowed to be there. I'm kind of liking some of these new "restrictions" and "hope they stick around."

Anything suitable for recovery other than pool running?

Oh I am TOTALLY aware that 46 easy miles is something. I still hold on to the days where I'd do 20 and that was a lot, 9:09 was marathon pace, and don't self identify as a sub 3 marathoner because of the elite level of running I associate with it. I'm honestly just happy I got out there and ran like the old me who knew race day didn't care if it was hot, cold, windy, overcast, night, or sunny. It's running so it's easy to complicate it.

Cal Maybe in 3 years 100 miles per week will be your highlight. It was kind of a highlight of MY week. Mostly because it's probably the easiest thing I've done on quarantine. I still sometimes like to imagine I could really get 70 miles a week with the amount of time I have each day to run while quarantining and following COVID 19 social distancing protocols. It's a pipe dream which I'm allowed due to my (insert skin color here) privilege.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Well, lockdown is lifted, no limits on gatherings and races are back on.  I celebrated by entering Rotorua Marathon.

Cal - I have no idea what my marathon goal pace should be.  I know that roughly 3:44/km or just under 6:00/mile gets me a moose mug.  I know that some people say I should probably go for faster than that but I am a marathon newbie and I've got to respect the marathon distance.  For comparison, my HM pace for a flat half is probably around 3:25/km (I ran 3:27/km in Dunedin last Sept but that had one particularly nasty hill).  My 10k pace from the track race in March was 3:16/km.

Nice 100 miles.  That makes my head hurt (I only starting breaking 100km/week around a year ago).

DWave - 14 miles progressive is a looooong workout.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Resident Historian

41 miles for my week (Brewing Runner, I think 46 would be great).

I've had some shoe problems in the last two weeks. My go-to Saucony Guide ISO 2's suddenly seem to let my foot slide around in the shoe, and I developed a set of blisters, lost a toenail, and may lose another. I tried some older shoes, but they're all beaten to death (ouch! & now my knee is sore). I tried switching insoles, heel pads, lacing tighter or looser. Then on Saturday, the LRS guys told me Saucony has abandoned the ISO lacing system for the next model because of negative feedback like this. That's probably the culprit.

I needed somethng cushioned to get over the blisters and the toes, so I got a pair of Hoka Cliftons, which are light, well-cushioned, and springy. It takes time to adjust to the bounce, but they don't hurt my feet. Like all Hokas, they still feel a little clunky because of their size, but I think they're a solution for now.

The good news after the week is lots of opportunities to extend these runs by a mile or two each. I've found that in building from very little running for so long, even the short runs required focus, every minute. Now I'm getting past that; running is again becoming automatic. I'll hold around 40 mpw this coming week, then bump it up another notch.

Mon - 5.5 mi, easy pace recovery. Sore from 10 and milers Sat/Sun
                      Tues - 4, Still tired, feet are rough
                      Wed - 8 mi. with different insoles in the shoes, went OK but now knee is sore as well as feet
                      Thu -  4 mi, recovery, very uncomfortable
                      Fri - 4+ mi. with strides that felt pretty good. Wore a different shoe, lighter and softer, which worked better, but I wouldn't want to run 10 in them.
                      Sat - 5 mi. Breaking in the Hokas. The 1st 2 miles wrere awful; I considered turning for home. Then I got the feel of the shoes, my knee loosened up, and I finished well.
                      Sun - 10  mi. Good longer run, might have gone longer but didn't want to pus my luck with the shoes. 

darkwave - Good to see you back to full volume and the supporting activities other than swimming. Our gyms can open as of Thursday; it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.
                      mikkey - Very good for a first quality run in a year! Wish I could handle that, but I lost so much endurance condition when off running.
                      Cal - How many weeks is this at 100+? 
                      Marky - Welcome back to almost normal! Good work NZ! Are you going to take the mileage up as the marathon gets nearer? 
                      jhudak - Nice week. I sure don't envy you the humidity there -- tough running.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well, lockdown is lifted, no limits on gatherings and races are back on.  I celebrated by entering Rotorua Marathon.

I guess I need to create a new list.

EDIT: List updated. Canceled races were crossed out. Looks like there is a few coming up too.

dps Coming up on due date for #3. everything going well for that marathon attempt?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Longboat - Hoka Clifton used to be my go to training shoes for years and even ran a couple of marathons in them. (I loved the original ones best though)

Marky - That’s great news about NZ and looks like the Rotorua marathon will be the big event of the thread this year!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

From the Internet.

Longboat - Cliftons have been great for me recently, though I also have a friend who preferred the original to the current version. I don't have a point of comparison so I'll just live in blissful ignorance!

Cutback week - 30.6 miles total. Plenty of short lazy days but really just wanted to keep the consistency rolling and mission accomplished on that front.

Monday - 30 min easy/3.4 miles

Tuesday - 6x 30 second pickups in the second half of an out-and-back, ~90 seconds felt good for a recovery jog so went with that for the most part. 5.2 miles total and just felt great the whole time.

Wednesday - Jogged to and from community garden - 1.5 miles there, spent some time pulling weeds and watering my plot, 1.5 miles back. The way back went from "jog" to "man I feel good I'd better GOOOOO", lol.

Thursday - 4.3 miles easy. Was hot by the time I got out so I didn't want to push it further.

Friday - had planned to do a long-ish run of 8 miles or so but I just felt like junk even after warming up. Changed plans and did 30 minutes easy with a few strides toward the end to wake the legs up a bit - 3.6 miles total.

Saturday - 3 miles easy. Feeling much better than Friday.

Sunday - 8 miles total with 2 mile time trial. Wasn't feeling super great and part of that was just a little bit of anxiety about running hard after not racing for several months, but I figured it would be good to just push through and get a fitness baseline. I had signed up for a virtual 5K so that I'd have some accountability on getting it done this weekend. Mapped out a route so I could run the full 5K if I was having a great day or go shorter if I wasn't; ultimately decided to take my coach's advice on a low-key version of a "time trial" and just target goal 5K pace for 2 miles, see how that felt.

6:35, 6:18, and legs felt great for an extended cooldown after that (the rest of the 5K at easy pace for the virtual race, and then another 3+ miles). Not the most even pacing, but feeling good about shaking some of the rust off. Weather was perfect and I feel mentally a bit more ready to tackle some goals now.

Shooting for mid-40s the next few weeks, planning on a 5K on June 28th. Unconventional race - open only to club members, we'll go off in small groups at set intervals and coaches will be timing. No milling around before, head right out for cooldown after, I'll get a bit more of that race-day adrenaline than I'd have running another solo effort.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Lauren Only open to club members? Wow THAT is some kind of bullshit protection against covid 19. I hope after being under self quarantine since mid-March society would be past the 14-21 day incubation/sickness/recovery period by now. I assume the club has plans for the fastest runners to start first so no one can make up that 1 minute distance (20 seconds per mile) you'll have to run to catch the runner ahead of you...unless someone blows up because they went out too fast for their current fitness.

Sounds like a bunch of time trials to me. I think I saw you run a 5k race attempt on Strava. Did it fall apart around mile 2? I hope it goes better for the race. Good luck on the race pump. Should be fun trying to catch the runner ahead of you down.

VDOT 53.37 

From the Internet.

Lauren Only open to club members? Wow THAT is some kind of bullshit protection against covid 19. I hope after being under self quarantine since mid-March society would be past the 14-21 day incubation/sickness/recovery period by now. I assume the club has plans for the fastest runners to start first so no one can make up that 1 minute distance (20 seconds per mile) you'll have to run to catch the runner ahead of you...unless someone blows up because they went out too fast for their current fitness.

Sounds like a bunch of time trials to me. I think I saw you run a 5k race attempt on Strava. Did it fall apart around mile 2? I hope it goes better for the race. Good luck on the race pump. Should be fun trying to catch the runner ahead of you down.

So I think the way it'll work is small groups of similar-pace runners and just honor system that you haven't been doing anything dumb/aren't risking everyone else's health by participating. We're starting to look at how to do small group workouts again too and it would be similar - you don't run with anyone outside of your small pace group etc. For me, I'm not really leaving the house anyway so spending the next couple weeks making sure I don't have symptoms won't really be any different than my normal life right now.

5K was just to hit the total distance for a virtual race! The crash was planned: 2 miles at ~5k effort/pace as a fitness check, and if I felt good, I'll know I can try to carry it further in the "race" (or a solo TT, if we get a spike in cases and I don't feel comfortable participating).