2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CalBears

Marky - great 10K time, hard to imagine for me though - but I missed my chance to know my potential not running at my 30s. Please remind me when is your target marathon and do you have a training plan for it?

Longboat - sorry for not answering your question - this was my 13th 100+ week of.  I see you training goes well - really hope we are going to run in Boston 2021 and maybe I will see you there - not sure of you run any qualified races though.

Mikkey - here is a song about you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SwQ9iavJeI. 

I also have an interesting article about running with tips and tricks for you on how to beat me in Boston - though, unfortunately Boston is not a loop race - Tips and Tricks for Mikkey on running fast

My week was good. Tried to vary distances and run something different.

Mon - 26.53 @8:24

Tue - off

Wed - 26.55 @8:26

Thu - off

Fri - 26.62 @8:37

Sat - off

Sun 26.62 @8:25

===

Total: 106.3 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

jhudak55

52.8 Miles

M: 3.1 miles recovery (9:14)

T: 5.1 miles easy (8:58)

W: 7.4 miles w/ 3 at Tempo (6:57, 6:57, 6:57)

T: 7.5 miles easy (8:44)

F: 5.2 miles easy (8:41)

S: 7.4 miles easy (8:29)

S: 17.0 miles progressive long run, first 6 average 8:54 pace, middle 5 average 8:11 pace, last 6 average 7:23 pace

Solid week. Both workouts were very under control, feel like my fitness is improving quite a bit.

Cal: Awesome week. How are your legs feeling compared to a "normal" 100+ mile week?

Marky_Mark_17

At this stage given the lack of races I would have to say the Cal and Mikkey banter is probably the thing keeping this thread going.

Cal - I would struggle to get one long run done like that a week, let alone 4.  Very impressive.  How did the legs feel?  I'm doing Rotorua Marathon in late September.  My training plan will be whatever my coach tells me, unless I disagree.  She has run a lot more marathons than me.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

jhudak - good job on your running week! As for how legs feel comparing to "normal" week - no surprises there, of course - I knew it before - the longer the distance the harder to recover - so, running 13 every day is not the same as running 26 every two days - legs feel more tired with 26, even despite seemingly a lot of rest.

Marky - is it Benita Willis by any chance? 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Just ducking in here to comment on Cal's week.  Amazing!  You are a machine.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

Nah... You still will see me first - JMac will probably not even going to run 2021 or just a thought he has a baby will make him soft and undertrained. It will take him another baby or two or a few years otherwise to understand that babies and running are separate things and complement, not exclude each other 

I think his daughter will actually make him faster and I kind of hope he makes it to Boston 2021.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Resident Historian

Weekly -- or rather, half a week, since I took a rest on Monday, then had dental work on Tuesday that a broken tooth turned into a major, and wound up not running until Thursday evening (and it's still f'ing painful). 

Thu 4.5 (rather faster than I wanted)
                Fri   7.2 with a 2.5 mile fast finish (for me)
                Sat  7.0 good run, but very tired after. Overdid it, I think.
                Sun 3.5 Wanted to go long, but my legs were just plain dead. Turned around at 2 miles and ran/walked in. 

Too enthusiastic getting going, burned up in 3 days.  I think the ongoing tooth pain may have conributed, though.

Cal - I don't have a qualifier now, but there may be a chance to qualify at a small race in Sept -- I know several possibilities. If I can get there healthy reasonably trained, I'll qualify by enough.  
                Nice change of routine for you this week -- good running!

Jhudak - Yeah, I'd say that tempo was under control -- 3 x 6:57 exactly! Good week.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

darkwave

Mother of Cats

65 miles
                  M: Streaming yoga and upper body weights/core
                  T: 12.5 miles on treadmill, including an alternating hill/tempo workout - two 70 second hills, then 10 minute tempo (6:35 pace), two more hills, water break, 2 more hills, 10 minute tempo (6:49), two more hills. (took the break in the middle because I overreached on the first tempo segment in very humid conditions). Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                  W: 7 miles very easy outside (9:23), drills and four strides, streaming yoga, 7 miles easy on treadmill (9:14).
                  Th: Upperbody weights/core in morning; streaming yoga in afternoon.
                  F: 12.5 miles on treadmill, including a hill workout of 8 repeats of 2:00 strong on 3.0 incline, 1:30 easy, 0:30 fast, 1:00 easy. Followed with some leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                  Sa: 10.5 miles easy outside (9:02), drills, 2 strides, and 2 hill strides, streaming yoga.
                  Su: 14 miles progressive outside, split as first 4 miles averaging 8:57, next 4 averaging 7:40, next 6 averaging 6:50, and then a 1.5 mile cooldown . Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.

shoutouts:

Marky_mark - congratulations again on an excellent rustbuster.
                  Calbears - I am very curious why you chose to structure your week in such a way. Curiousity?
                  Jhudak - nice week. I was really happy to note that the gates of Hains Point are now open again.
                  longboat - I hope the dental pain eases soon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

49 miles. All easy. Saturday's long run had some odd digestive pains on top of a hungry companion so I ended up getting a ride home.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nah... You still will see me first - JMac will probably not even going to run 2021 or just a thought he has a baby will make him soft and undertrained. It will take him another baby or two or a few years otherwise to understand that babies and running are separate things and complement, not exclude each other 

If they are running Boston 21, I will be there. Yes, I may be soft, and have a dad bod at that point, but dammit if I will miss this showdown. If I lose to two guys in their 50s, I will first congratulate you because that would be amazing, and then I will just go walk into Boston Harbor and let the water slowly envelope me due to the utter shame that I've brought upon my family.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

If they are running Boston 21, I will be there. Yes, I may be soft, and have a dad bod at that point, but dammit if I will miss this showdown. If I lose to two guys in their 50s, I will first congratulate you because that would be amazing, and then I will just go walk into Boston Harbor and let the water slowly envelope me due to the utter shame that I've brought upon my family.

You will not be passed by two but only by one, 50+ yo dude, the older one of two . So, you won't be in a complete shame - so, no need to let anything envelope you...

Running Problem

Problem Child

Highlight of 2020/21 right here. Entire reason I trained so hard to get a qualifying time good enough for old guys like me.

Maybe we I can do commentary for the race. I'll try to keep it concise (look at me using big $3 words) like all my race stories. I recently acquired a GoPro Hero 7 and I could possibly sign up for a publicly available live streaming service to show the world (13 other people interested) how it's going. When I start to bonk you'll need to take over.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Im not a strong swimmer, but I’d be the first person to jump into the water and haul you out to safety...and then Cal could do the CPR if necessary. 👍

darkwave - I meant to ask how you’re finding the treadmill and if you’ll continue with it if/when things get back to normal again?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Cal - no definitely not Benita Willis!  My coach mostly coaches triathletes.  I did wonder if she would be able to keep me developing since I am am a long way from the beginner I was 5 years ago, but she has always managed to stay 1 step ahead with training programmes.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave - I meant to ask how you’re finding the treadmill and if you’ll continue with it if/when things get back to normal again?

I'm loving the treadmill.  But then again, I've always enjoyed running on a treadmill - I do not run to enjoy the great outdoors.

The reasons I have not trained on a treadmill in the recent past are:

a) my coach is strongly against them in normal circumstances;

b) while we regularly have unpleasant running weather here (rain, below freezing, or hot and humid) we rarely have unrunnable weather (and when we did, I would just head over to the freeway underpass and run back and forth there); and

c) I consider treadmill running to be slightly different from outside running - enough so that I consider it a very close form of cross-training.

But....I'm really enjoying the convenience of having one right now, and there are post-pandemic situations where I would want to use it again in the future.  It'd be really nice to not have to try to get over to my freeway overpass when everything is iced over.   Running on the treadmill in the pre-dawn hours is safer than running outside.  And when my ulcerative colitis is flaring, it's REALLY NICE to be able to go for a run and not have to worry about where the nearest bathroom is.

Of course, boyfriend points out that I have a gym membership, and in normal times I could just use that.  But....not quite the same.  In an ice storm I'd still have to get to the gym.  And when my GI problems are flaring, it'd be a bit frustrating to have to get off the treadmill and hope it would still be open when I get back.  Plus the whole pesky gym time limits on treadmills thing.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.