2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

[delurk]

I haven't been to Fargo in nearly 20 years! I have looked at that race before, but that was when it was supposed to be in May.

DWave - According to WeatherUnderground the temp near start time would likely be at/a little above 60* based on historicals. Going back several years it ranged from mid 50s to low 70s at the start.

[/delurk]

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I am seriously considering the 10K or half.  Seriously enough that I may book a flight this weekend.  I'm thinking I can fly into MSP and then drive - looks like a bit under 4 hours.  And they have Chipotle in Fargo!

[delurk]

I haven't been to Fargo in nearly 20 years! I have looked at that race before, but that was when it was supposed to be in May.

DWave - According to WeatherUnderground the temp near start time would likely be at/a little above 60* based on historicals. Going back several years it ranged from mid 50s to low 70s at the start.

[/delurk]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I am seriously considering the 10K or half.  Seriously enough that I may book a flight this weekend.  I'm thinking I can fly into MSP and then drive - looks like a bit under 4 hours.  And they have Chipotle in Fargo!

Everyone I've talked to has loved that marathon. Not sure about the shorter races. Wonder if it will be packed because, COVID, or sparsely attended because, COVID.

pepperjack

pie man

Everyone I've talked to has loved that marathon. Not sure about the shorter races. Wonder if it will be packed because, COVID, or sparsely attended because, COVID.

100% it will be packed.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Holy shit, you must be desperate to race or there’s some decent prize money to cover the flight. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

A) yes, desperate to race

B) flights and hotels are dirt cheap right now in the US

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm in no kind of marathon racing running shape right now but I'll be damned if this doesn't sound like a logical reason to burn some vacation time and stop buying jeep parts.

keen dude, totally plays to your strengths. Flat. Probably has a headwind. Lots of farm land with nothing to look at. Plenty of opportunities to run solo. You might actually get a few sub 3 runners to hang with.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Packed because Boston 2021 qualifiers have been canceled the only other  "flat and fast marathon course" is closed for the year. Besides...who wants to race in Chicago in October when you can run in Fargo?!?!!? Fargo is flat, fast AND FRIENDLY.

I think they need more turns. Map.

Oakland marathon is another option. Not as flat.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

the only other  "flat and fast marathon course" is closed for the year. 

Why is it closed? It is still opened I believe...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Why is it closed? It is still opened I believe...

The Illinois governor has said no gatherings of more than 50 until there's a cure or vaccine.

The White River Marathon on Nov. 21 is super flat except for the SCREAMIN' downhill in mile 1. Quite small and with few spectators, if that's a concern. Fun fact: I'm in the picture on their home page.

Upcoming Races:

CalBears

The Illinois governor has said no gatherings of more than 50 until there's a cure or vaccine.

Are you talking about this governor - Hundreds Take Part in Chicago Juneteenth Celebration March ?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Are you talking about this governor - Hundreds Take Part in Chicago Juneteenth Celebration March ?

Yup, that one. That event is both surprising and not surprising at the same time. Still, a few hundred (per the article) is a long way from nearly 45,000 runners, plus how many more 10's of thousands of volunteers, spectators, and other support personnel.

Upcoming Races:

CalBears

Yup, that one. That event is both surprising and not surprising at the same time. Still, a few hundred (per the article) is a long way from nearly 45,000 runners, plus how many more 10's of thousands of volunteers, spectators, and other support personnel.

It doesn't matter - it's a matter of principle - according to you he said - "no gatherings of more than 50 until there's a cure or vaccine". And what I see seems like few thousands people - not 45,000 but still. I do not believe there will be 45K runners and I don't think there will be regular crowds. But in any case - he said one thing and did totally another - a precedent, you know 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

It doesn't matter - it's a matter of principle - according to you he said - "no gatherings of more than 50 until there's a cure or vaccine". And what I see seems like few thousands people - not 45,000 but still. I do not believe there will be 45K runners and I don't think there will be regular crowds. But in any case - he said one thing and did totally another - a precedent, you know 

A politician going back on his word, who would have ever imagined such a thing?!

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

What is the cure/vaccine for white privilege/racism/police brutality/celebrating Texas receiving word slavery has been abolished/affordable housing/ mental health/Fox News viewship.

Ah shit I mixed up my thread. Trent or rlopez might drop in shortly.  I guess I need to disappear for a short period again.

VDOT 53.37