2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew is fast becoming my favourite poster.  And the most unfairly maligned.

The past week has definitely brushed off some SAT vocabulary testing words. Maligned...nice one. In my defense, it isn’t exactly ‘unfair’ as one might expect.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Brew is fast becoming my favourite poster.  And the most unfairly maligned.

Probably because the moderator (St Trent) is a virtue signalling muppet.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Probably because the moderator (St Trent) is a virtue signalling muppet.

I’m going to assume ‘virtue signaling muppet’ is kiwi for ‘male reproductive organ.’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m going to assume ‘virtue signaling muppet’ is kiwi for ‘male reproductive organ.’

Well I’m not kiwi, but that could be one way of interpreting it. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Mikkey - it would be great if London did happen in some form.  We had a bunch of rent-a-crowds march in support of BLM here while we were still in lockdown, basically that accelerated us out of lockdown because the PM didn't want to denounce them.  A police officer was shot and killed earlier this week during a routine traffic stop so I doubt we'll be seeing any more marches soon (particularly given another officer was seriously injured and a pedestrian was hit by the offender's car).

(talking about rent-a-crowds isn't to demean the BLM movement, it's just that it's not that relevant in NZ and yet we have a bunch of folks that seem to want to jump on the bandwagon anyway, presumably because there was f%$k all else to do after months of lockdown)

Brew - virtue signalling muppets don't need to be a reproductive organ of either gender.  Reproductive organs are, after all, functional.  I like the word "sanctimonious" in that situation.

Me - nothing to add on beer (I drink more bourbon than beer, maybe not by volume but definitely by alcohol content), so I'll just post my weekly... this was an all-time record mileage week, plus I managed to do it all in singles and with Monday off running (did weights instead).  Wednesday's marathon pace workout went really well and I averaged marathon goal pace, and Saturday's track session was good too.  Legs were a little slow and heavy for this morning's long run, but I'll take it.

Weekly for period: From: 06/15/2020 To 06/21/2020

Date Name Distance
            in mi
            Duration Avg Pace
            per mi
            Elevation Gain
            in ft
            06/16/2020 Fartlek 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 9.37 01:03:23 06:46 151
            06/17/2020 5x12 min @ MP, 3 min jog 15.05 01:38:35 06:33 141
            06/18/2020 Urban cruise 9.45 01:12:50 07:42 331
            06/19/2020 Coastal Walkway isn’t quite the same with Bomb Point closed 8.40 01:02:44 07:28 538
            06/20/2020 10x300 on/100 jog, 10x200 on/200 jog 9.18 00:56:11 06:07 167
            06/21/2020 The Double Album Long Run, Episode 2: Iron Maiden - Live After Death 15.56 01:57:25 07:33 1001

Total distance: 67.00mi

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It’s always good to have NZ folk on here to keep it real. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

mikkey I get confused (forgetful) on people’s ACTUAL locations in the Internet.

marky_mark I’ll use this new word frequently. I’d says it is as useful as ‘bless your heart.’

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That’s some serious equipment! What makes you feel you are mediocre as a brewer? It’d be hard to brew crap with all that, unless you are trying to brew a Coors Lite clone. 

sincerely, monkey muppet

Home. All grain. 10 gallon igloo setup with a repurposed keg as a boil kettle. Blichmann burner before the hellfire came out. 17 cubic fr freezer with an ITC Temp controller for fermentation. Just threw out about 4 pounds of hops last weekend. Still have the Monster Mill 2.0, about 120 pounds of grains in Vittles Vaults, stir plates, flasks, scale, Star San, and some other equipment for sale too. 

jhudak55

60.9 miles

M: 3.1 miles recovery (9:45)

T: 7.4 miles w/ 3 at tempo (6:53, 6:52, 6:54)

W: 13 miles medium long run (8:26) and 1 mile PM to try out NB Beacon V2

T: 3.1 miles easy (8:51)

F: 5.2 miles easy (8:31)

S: 22 miles long run (8:30)

S: 6 miles recovery (9:33)

Thinking about adding in a couple weeks of faster intervals starting next week. I signed up for the Loudon Street Mile a couple of months ago which was postponed to July 25. I've never ran a mile race before and have no idea what I am capable of. Planning to run my workouts at a 5 minute pace and see how that feels.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Since this is a marathon training board, I'll ask....Marky_mark - why are your MP intervals so short in duration?  Is the point just to make sure that you can easily lock into it again and again?

JHudak - I'm doing Loudoun Street Mile also (well...most likely - slight hiccup in that a friend's rescheduled wedding party may be the night before....)  Remind me when we get closer and I'll pass on some tips on how to run that course well.

Question - why are you targeting 5 minute pace?  That's about a 74 second quarter, repeated four times without rest.

I ask because, as I recall, you're still working towards breaking 20 for 5K.  Most people who are running 5 minute miles are also sub-18 minute 5Kers, at a minimum.  But perhaps you have an 800m background?

[FWIW, my mile PR of 5:25 (set at Loudoun Street mile 3 years ago) is considered a better performance than my 5K PR of 18:51]

My week:

65 miles
                      M: Upper body weights/core and streaming yoga
                      T: 12.5 miles on treadmill, including an alternating hill/tempo workout - two 60 second hills, then 12:30 minute tempo (6:48 pace per footpod - most likely faster due to footpod error), two more hills, 12:30 minute tempo (6:42 per foot pod - again, probably faster due to foot pod error), two more hills. Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                      W: 7 miles very easy outside (9:13), streaming yoga, 7 miles very easy on treadmill (8:56), plus drills and four hill strides.
                      Th: Upperbody weights/core in morning; streaming yoga in afternoon.
                      F: 12.5 miles- stared with a hill workout of 2 repeats of 2:00 strong on 3.0 incline, 1:30 easy, 0:30 fast, 1:00 easy. The treadmill then shut down on me, so I used this as an excuse to head to the track for some 200s - did 2 sets of 6x200 with 200 recovery - split each set as two hard, two harder, two harder still. Splits were 44/44/43/43/40/40 and 43/44/42/41/39/40. Followed with some leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                      Sa: 10.5 miles easy outside (9:12), plus an 800 on the track to calibrate the foot pod; then drills and four hill strides plus streaming yoga.
                      Su: 14 miles outside, including a workout of 2 miles at tempo (12:48 - split as 6:27/6:22) and 2x~half mile in 3:06 and 3:05. Followed with streaming yoga. Later did a 1 mile jog to test out a new pair of takumi sens, plus some drills.

With the hope of racing starting up in July, I'm transitioning towards more traditional training, with a special focus on mile speed right now (which works because it's supposed to be really humid and warm here for the first part of the coming week, so I'd rather do 200s and 400s with long recovery at mile pace).

Not surprisingly, I'm not very good at 5K pace and faster running right now (those 39 second 200s and 3:0x half-miles felt HARD).  This is pretty much how it always is when I come off of a period of hill/strength training, so I'm not too concerned.  Things should come around with a few sessions.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

And (paging OMR)....I just pulled the trigger on entering the Fargo 10K.  If they announce we have to wear masks while running it, I guess I'll just eat the cost of the entry.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Marky - congrats on another mileage PR - you are definitely in a PR shape - one weekly PR after another . I love beer, just love it - the nuance is, in my age, I usually only love the first bottle - second bottle just doesn't taste the way the first one does - I am a big fan of fresh made Hefeweizen, but my favorite for the last few years is Blue Moon, unfiltered - nothing tastes better for  than a first bottle of it . For some reason for the many years I started to dislike hard liquor  (I know, that sounds strange for a Russian  - I love whiskey with Coke a lot though - but just because it tastes great and it's not hard.

jhudak - solid week. Your 5 minutes mile intention reminds me the eternal question - how I can be sure I can run a marathon at XX:XX:XX time until I ran a marathon at XX:XX:XX time? 

DW - it's amazing how different people's running weeks are and how we approach training differently but eventually coming down to the same results. I wonder if those training tweaks make a difference at all? 

DPS - congrats on your new baby and sub 2:48 TT marathon !!! As I said on Strava - not bad for an old guy Smile

My week was struggle to say the least. I do not know if those 4 "marathon" runs I did last week caught up with my body, or the fact that I started the week with two days of "faster" running, or both, but starting from Wednesday I just barely could run - felt extremely tired and even trying to get to my real recovery HR of 130 bpm felt like a huge struggle.  Cancelled one evening run on Thursday, then on Friday's evening run felt really sharp pain inside my pelvis area - once, then twice, then few more times, wanted to go home, but before that decided to try to slow down up to a shuffle - I knew if I go home on Friday I won't get 100 miles week no way - though I knew if the pain continues, I am going home - no matter 100 miles stuff. Guess I was lucky and I didn't have pain after that - though I knew I have to run totally by feel and extremely easy, to the point where I would not feel stressed at all. Cancelled another evening double on Saturday but still managed to complete 100 miles week - now I have 14 of those in a row. Today's run felt better than last 3-4 days, so, I hope I will be fine Smile

Mon - off

Tue - 12.51 @7:37 am / 8.21 @9:09 pm

Wed - 12.52 @8:08 / 8.21@9:32 pm

Thu - 12.52 @9:37

Fri - 12.52 @9:00 am / 8.22 @9:34 pm

Sat - 12.52 @9:29

Sun - 13.17 @8:48

===

Total: 100.4 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - good question.  Every now and then my coach will set a workout that is just nuts (I've never figured out whether this is an accident or intentional).  The original plan was 5 x 12 mins @ HMP with 3 minute recoveries.  There was no way in hell I was doing that because that's most of a race at HMP (normally I'd run 3 x 15 as a key workout, which this wasn't), plus I'd already done a lighter workout the day before.  So I decided to run it at MP instead.  It was a good chance to practice dialling into the rhythm.  This week she's got me doing 14km at MP which is a bit more normal!

BTW a few sessions should have that speed back pretty quickly for you I'd say.

DPS - congrats on the new arrival and also that excellent marathon TT.  Hope everyone is doing well.

Cal - Sometimes I wonder why I am on this thread, apart from the entertaining banter between you and Mikkey, and then I realise that it's always a good way of putting things in context.  I was feeling quite happy with myself for hitting my 20th straight 50 mile week and here you are hitting yet another 100 mile week!  Good for keeping the motivation up.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Cal ran another 100 mile week ? Man that guy is just asking for an injury 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

cinnamon girl

M: 6.2 mi
                                T: 8.3 mi  
                                W: 9 mi progression to 10k effort, 1 mi c/d
                                T: 7.9 mi
                                F: off  
                                S: 16 mi hilly with efforts on uphills +700 ft
                                S: 9 mi
                                Wednesday was a good experiment to see where paces fell. I started conservative with 8:1x and dipped into the 6:1x in the last mile. Other than a couple long runs with faster finishes, this is a zone I hadn’t felt willing to take on since moving to higher altitude. I finally found a pretty flat route but it has some tighter turns noticeable when running faster - but no stoplights – it’s a 1.4 mi loop but that’s ok. It’ll work. Saturday’s run was efforts on uphills, cruise flats, easy on downhills. I had to stop a couple times running up a 6.2% ¾ mi stretch. Running hills at ~4000 ft still feels a lot different to me than running a similar hill at sea level. And I stopped a couple times to take in the views.

Marky - sounds good to me - 5 x 2 mi MP repeats - or maybe more, sorry I don't know your MP - but a very good early in a marathon cycle workout I say.