2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Me and the old man. I'm 6 foot (with 6'2 and 6'3 brothers and a 5'7 mom). He is a tiny guy and still hitting roads daily at 66

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Great job on snagging that KOM. Even if it was downhill, you've given me another distance PR of yours that I need to chase.

Oh, and Camille as #4 ultra runner of the year?? How many world records must one crush to get the #1 spot?

So now I have you AND OMR coming after me. I guess I know how CalBears feels with me going for his marathon PR. I'll make sure to look up his grave to say "HA! I DID IT OLD MAN! WHAT NOW?" I'm sure my son will wonder why I'm yelling at a tombstone like I'm some kind of internet badass.

Oh and Camille was apparently the 2017 ultra runner of the year after a couple world records and winning some ultra in Africa. I can't believe Jared Hazen is third. I figured, social media jokes about him at Western States, he would come in second. I'm not sure what they're thinking over there because he broke Jim's 2018 record too along with some other big stuff. Maybe Chris Mocko gets 2nd because he earned a lot of followers at YouTube. Not trying to be funny...Jared Hazen deserves to be at least second best ultra runner this year...behind Jim Walmsley but I don't think Jim deserves the top spot just because he won states and broke 15 because Jared did more.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

OMR do you live in the twin cities? If not and you're driving in for TC marathon, I live next to light rail if you want to park at my place. Easy access to the start and short ride back afterward and avoid traffic. Just an FYI. If not in the cities I'm guessing Northfield?

I am running the TC 10 that morning

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

So now I have you AND OMR coming after me. I guess I know how CalBears feels with me going for his marathon PR. I'll make sure to look up his grave to say "HA! I DID IT OLD MAN! WHAT NOW?" I'm sure my son will wonder why I'm yelling at a tombstone like I'm some kind of internet badass.

Bwah-ha-ha brew. It's not only about a marathon PR, it's also about timing - my marathon PR is the Moose Mug time. Run your Moose Mug time (sub 2:36 I guess???) and we will be talking. Until then, stop comparing my PRs and your PRs - it's a shame for a man of your age to run a marathon just a minute or so faster than my old man PR 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Bwah-ha-ha brew. It's not only about a marathon PR, it's also about timing - my marathon PR is the Moose Mug time. Run your Moose Mug time (sub 2:36 I guess???) and we will be talking. Until then, stop comparing my PRs and your PRs - it's a shame for a man of your age to run a marathon just a minute or so faster than my old man PR 

I'd quit running as soon as I had that mug and I'd make sure I'd run it at CIM because it is less downhill than Boston and I don't want that much assistance. Plus CIM is a better race than Boston. It is fun trying to hang with the "old guys" and I hope to be in the same shape (maybe less round) as you when I'm creeping up on 60 years old. I honestly never thought you'd be as old as you are when we met. I figured maybe early 40s after learning about you from rlk over in the 3:20 threads. If I was REAL crazy I'd come do Miwok or challenge you at Quicksilver.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - take it as a positive and be flattered that brew wants to beat your PR....you’re old enough to be his dad. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I'd quit running as soon as I had that mug and I'd make sure I'd run it at CIM because it is less downhill than Boston and I don't want that much assistance. Plus CIM is a better race than Boston. It is fun trying to hang with the "old guys" and I hope to be in the same shape (maybe less round) as you when I'm creeping up on 60 years old. I honestly never thought you'd be as old as you are when we met. I figured maybe early 40s after learning about you from rlk over in the 3:20 threads. If I was REAL crazy I'd come do Miwok or challenge you at Quicksilver.

I am not that old I think - health-wise, at least. I do not see any difference between me at 45 (before I started running) and now at almost 55. I suspect, people are like Hondas - there is no much difference between new Honda and 10 years old Honda - reliability-wise, but when your Honda is 20-25 years old everything just starts breaking and there is no way around it...

Actually, I am not that good of a marathoner for sure, at least in my mind - there is this 59 years old guy from Sacramento who runs CIM every year - Iain Mickle - he ran 2:42 this year. I just shake my head every time I think about him and how useless and slow I am comparing to those old dude(s) 

Quicksilver (Miwok) - yeah, you would probably had a chance to beat me without too much effort - I am really slow in those events - something just doesn't work very well for me there. Of course I have an incentive to run ultras to finally get to WSER100, but there is also something strangely satisfying in running those events - I think, after running 100K (not to mention 100 miles) you might start looking differently at what you can really achieve in your life with enough perseverance. Of course I didn't achieve much still, but at least I started to look at what I could achieve, differently 

CalBears

Cal - take it as a positive and be flattered that brew wants to beat your PR....you’re old enough to be his dad. 

No way - I was really really careful to avoid becoming brew's dad 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Bwahaha!!!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DPS - great photo, so cool. You going to get your kids into running, make it a multi-generational thing?

Cal - I'm still not at my moose mug time, but quickly approaching. I still bow to your greatness 

Mikkey - I guess I bow to your greatness too given you got your moose mug!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm greatful for this. Russia has already ruined America Switzerland enough.

Jmac If you'd quit traveling the world, and grow up get a little older you could get your moose mug. Good course on a great weather day. You'd run it.

VDOT 53.37 

Nimmals: It's crazy what that guy was wearing back then...if a guy went out running in that today he'd get arrested for indecent exposure. Though I guess Mikkey gets away with it over in the UK.

Keen: Nice week, that is exactly the type of week I want to get back to doing! It looks like we tend towards a similar type of training week: 10-ish miles is the standard easy day and 1 hard workout + 1 long run. Only difference is I haven't yet gotten to 7 days/week, usually take Monday off.

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Only difference is I haven't yet gotten to 7 days/week, usually take Monday off.

I've had some good discussions with other runners about this and I've come to the view it's really an individual thing.

Some runners will prefer 7 days/week to get the extra mileage and keep the legs ticking over.  Personally I really like having at least one day off running each week.  Physically it just gives the legs some time to recharge, and mentally it also gives me a bit of a break and it means I look forward to getting back into it the next day.

I've had some good chats with a local elite runner, who is a 1:09 half marathoner as well as being a very good sports masseuse.  He is a big advocate of having a day off and is quite fond of saying that the most important day is the one that you don't run.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm all about the day or days off, I only run another day if I have to. But I've found once you get to 80, its impossible to run that on 6 days a week. But if you're running 60-70, huge fan of one day off for a mental reset and to do things like run errands, catch up on work, family time, etc.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

OMR

DPS:  Thanks, that's a very generous offer.  I actually live in Moorhead, and teach in the land of corn (Concordia Cobbers).  "Fear the Ear!"

Brew:  calbears is the "object may be closer than it appears" person in your rear view mirror.  I'm somewhere behind calbears..."too far away to see."  But, I'm back there...somewhere...