2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

DPS - congrats again on a beautiful child - after being in this world for almost 55 years I can say with 110% confidence that there is no bigger miracle in this world than a new born child. I wish I were younger with a what I know and appreciate now - I would have as many kids as I could - money is an optional thing, kids are the sweetest thing I know (especially pre-teen ones) - there is no bigger input into this world than having kids. Great job on marathon trial too. Though I would think twice before you run downhill course - Mikkey will be very critical of it.

I like a bit of banter, but the bottom line is that I really don’t care that much if someone chooses to run a downhill course to get a better time. I ran a marathon PR last year with the help of cheater shoes which I fully acknowledge. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Before you retire, I want to see you race Amuse at St George in Alphaflys!

CalBears

Amuse is still running?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

LOL - he claimed his Moose Mug on that course which was very bizarre considering he was a talented runner. I would rather race Alien Race from the old RW as he was a more intriguing poster.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

jhudak55

50.5 miles

M: 2.1 miles easy (8:09) w/ 3 strides

T: 3 miles recovery (10:26)

W: 5 miles recovery (10:03)

T: 8 miles easy (9:53)

F: 6 miles easy (8:30)

S: 3.9 miles easy AM and 3 mile tempo PM (6:43, 6:50, 6:45) w/ 0.5 mile warm-up

S: 15 miles long (8:32) AM and 4 miles easy PM (9:07)

Pulled my hamstring on my third stride on my Monday run, luckily I was only about a half mile away from home at that point. I haven't run many strides, but the ones I have run appear to have been far too fast. Looking back at garmin data I got up to 15.3 MPH on the stride I pulled my hammy. The next few days were very slow (abandoned my plans for speed work) in an attempt to continue running while not worsening anything. I felt very sore/tight on Tuesday, but was back to normal on Friday. Feel like I dodged a bullet.

How does everyone else run their strides? I typically run them every half mile to mile during easy runs, with slow acceleration from easy pace up to close to a sprint (which is probably the reason for my pulled muscle), then back down to easy pace. Each one is about 15-20 seconds long.

DPS: Congrats on the baby and great to hear everyone is doing well. Great time trial result especially at 95%. That should allow for a really quick return to training.

I've been AWOL but will try to catch up on what's going on here, apologies for not being fully up to speed and maybe missing some topics.

DPS: Congrats on the beautiful baby (most important!) and also the 2:48 TT!  I am even more impressed that you did that TT only a week or so after the baby was born. Enjoy those precious early days and weeks, they pass so quickly.

Cal: I've been entertained & impressed by your 100+ mile weeks stacking up! I especially liked the 4 x marathon week! I remember many weeks ago thinking if you did 5 x 20 mi that would be an especially impressive accomplishment but you went even one notch higher!  Do you feel exhausted during the day? Do you take any naps?  How is your sleep (quality/quantity)? Just curious what the effect of such mileage has on sleep and daily energy levels.

DW: We are thinking/planning similarly... I am also signed up for Harrisburg, as well as Bucks County. My third option would be Hartford but I am a bit doubtful that will take place (too many people). Between Harrisburg and Bucks County I am a bit torn: both are flat but Bucks County is super flat; downside is it is on a towpath of packed dirt and I've read both positive and negative reviews of the surface. You are the Yoda of all things marathon; have you heard anything about that course?

Mikey: I saw there is a chance London will take place this fall; would you be doing that? I noticed Hamburg is likely to happen, and here in the US Fargo will take place. Good signs... I think the more races that go ahead, the more likely other races will happen.

I've been struggling with running in afternoons due to my work schedule (which is buggered up thanks to COVID since early March). I finally said f*ck it and switched back to early mornings last week. Not easy to get up at 4:00 but once out and running it's so much better; cooler, no direct sunlight burning me up, and no other people on the road at that time. I am definitely a morning runner. Now that it's almost July I will be starting more structured marathon training. Last week was all easy miles.

M: off/strength routine

T: 10.2 @ 8:08

W: 10.1 @ 8:12

T: 10.1 @ 8:04

F: 10.1 @ 8:01

S: 10.2 trails @ 9:11

S: 16.2 @ 8:04

66.9 total

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikey: I saw there is a chance London will take place this fall; would you be doing that? I noticed Hamburg is likely to happen, and here in the US Fargo will take place. Good signs... I think the more races that go ahead, the more likely other races will happen.

Firstly JT, it’s great to have you back!.....the nicest poster on here nominated by me and cinnamongirl 😁

I’m definitely up for London in October and will be aiming for 2:59 or better to keep my sub 3 London streak going (8 out of 8)....and then drop the hammer next year with Boston and show Cal who is the REAL old dude boss. 👍

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: We are thinking/planning similarly... I am also signed up for Harrisburg, as well as Bucks County. My third option would be Hartford but I am a bit doubtful that will take place (too many people). Between Harrisburg and Bucks County I am a bit torn: both are flat but Bucks County is super flat; downside is it is on a towpath of packed dirt and I've read both positive and negative reviews of the surface. You are the Yoda of all things marathon; have you heard anything about that course?

I've heard some good things about Harrisburg, and I believe past forumite Steve has run it.  Have not heard much about Bucks County, but the surface makes it a pass for me, even if it were the only race to happen.

Emphatically agree. and good to see you back!

Jhudak I like to either pull off during the middle of a run, pause my watch, and spend 10 minutes doing drills and then strides, or alternately to do drills and then strides at the end of a run.   I like to do drills and then strides because my goal is to practice aspects of good running form with the drills, and then hard wire them into my running gait with the strides.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I like a bit of banter, but the bottom line is that I really don’t care that much if someone chooses to run a downhill course to get a better time. I ran a marathon PR last year with the help of cheater shoes which I fully acknowledge. 

Unless it's CIM? 

*back to not running*

EDIT: CIM training season is near. I need to get some kind of base built up if I'm going to ATTEMPT to think about running it, or training with a friend. This is starting to bring back (bad) memories of Chicago 2017. Anyone seen or heard from JMac? Isn't his wife ready to pop like this week or next?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Darkwave - I’ve been binge watching “Better call Saul” and now onto series 3....would a proper lawyer watch this?

Get saved by darkwave”

Darkwave - I’ve been binge watching “Better call Saul” and now onto series 3....would a proper lawyer watch this?

Not a lawyer, but what a great show. Possibly even comparable to Breaking Bad. And season 3 was the best one.

Dave

Pulled my hamstring on my third stride on my Monday run, luckily I was only about a half mile away from home at that point. I haven't run many strides, but the ones I have run appear to have been far too fast. Looking back at garmin data I got up to 15.3 MPH on the stride I pulled my hammy. The next few days were very slow (abandoned my plans for speed work) in an attempt to continue running while not worsening anything. I felt very sore/tight on Tuesday, but was back to normal on Friday. Feel like I dodged a bullet.

How does everyone else run their strides? I typically run them every half mile to mile during easy runs, with slow acceleration from easy pace up to close to a sprint (which is probably the reason for my pulled muscle), then back down to easy pace. Each one is about 15-20 seconds long.

On strides - not to say it's right or wrong, but this is me. It's always at the end of a run, following ~6 easy miles. Every 0.2 miles on my watch I do one 100m stride (by counting steps - I've figured about how many it takes), then easy jog till then next 0.2 on my watch, which works out to ~200m recovery. Just easy to keep track that way - I usually do 10 strides, so I start them with 2 miles left in the run. One thing I like about strides is that it's all by feel, I don't worry about my pace. Hard to gauge anyway over 100m distance, and I don't hit lap on my watch. I accelerate as quickly as I can to about 5k or maybe mile pace, and don't decelerate till after the 100m. I don't find they create much stress; maybe because I am a slow accelerator, maybe because I don't really have a sprint pace. For me it's just a way to start getting back into some speed if I've been doing nothing but easy for a while; also a weekly staple of marathon training just because it seems to be built into most of the plans I've done.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Not a lawyer, but what a great show. Possibly even comparable to Breaking Bad. And season 3 was the best one.

I’m thinking it’s even better than Breaking Bad....Tuco and Chicken Man are my favourite characters in Breaking Bad.

Does Chicken Man appear from series 3 onwards?.....please say yes!!!

So, I haven't been posting much here lately. I guess because my training has been pretty boring. I'm convinced there will be no marathons in 2020, other than maybe some tiny ones. I've just been keeping high mileage volume, mostly easy but over the last month or so added back one speed session a week. It's been track intervals - a couple Monas, then 8x800m, then 5x1200m.

As of tomorrow I will finish my 3rd straight 300+ month, which is certainly unprecedented for me - I had only done 3 or 4 total before 2020. With that came a bunch of other unprecedented numbers - just ran my 5th straight 70+ week, and 10th straight of 65+. Over the last 12 weeks, averaged 73. Halfway through the year I am on pace to beat my previous annual total by >500 miles. And physically I have held up better than I would have expected. However while there have been no unusual aches & pains (knock wood), my runs have been feeling pretty sluggish and fatigued over the last couple weeks. Not sure if it is in fact the mileage wearing me down, or something else. But anyway I plan to back off a bit, maybe 60ish, 65 tops. There may not seem to be much difference between 65 & 70, but to me there is.

We'll see how it goes.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

I’m thinking it’s even better than Breaking Bad....Tuco and Chicken Man are my favourite characters in Breaking Bad.

Does Chicken Man appear from series 3 onwards?.....please say yes!!!

You won't be disappointed.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"