2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Calbears - holy sh!t. That is some next-level insanity. Amazing!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

cinnamon girl

M: 8 (753)
      T: off
      W: 7 mi with 5 x 400m (1:21) + 30 sec with 2:30/400m slow jog rec
      T: 8 (814)
      F: 10 (818)
      S: 50 min (849)
      S: 2 hr 20 min (8:04)

I was thinking 8 x 400 for 1st visit to the track since March/pre-Covid, but 30 sec into the 6th rep a chipmunk took off from the infield just as I was going to plant my right foot. I planted kind of funky I’m not sure where the little guy was going to go (he didn’t seem to know either!) and I tweaked something in my ankle so I called it to be safe. Iced it when I got home and it’s fine. Kept effort easy for long run with 500ft gain. Nap time.

Cinnamon: Nice week (last week too; I never got around to comment on that one); good call to not force things on the ankle. Chipmunks do seem to sprint out into the road a lot and then have second thoughts, almost like they remembered mid-sprint they forgot something at home. Nice long run today. Did you have more super windy weather again this week? Are you getting used to the altitude?

Cal: Great job on the backyard ultra yesterday. You ran more than my weekly mileage in one day .  I saw you are at 91.8 miles for the week...wondering if you will force yourself out for a run today to keep the 100 mi week streak going.

My week was ok. We've had hot, humid weather all week which made things tough. Dew points at or above 70 F almost every day. I ran my workout Tuesday morning which was probably the best morning of the week, but still warm and humid. I ran the same hilly course for my long run today as last week, but felt much better so maybe I'm getting acclimated to the heat.

Name Distance (mi) Duration Pace

Gain (ft)

Tue Morning Run w/ 4 mile tempo (6:22 avg) 11.1 1:23:21 7:29 676
        Wed Morning Run 6.2 51:53 8:21 466
        Thu Morning Run 10.1 1:21:19 8:01 630
        Fri Trails in Sega Park 10.4 1:32:16 8:55 820
        Sat More trails in Sega Park 8.3 1:15:48 9:07 620
        Sun Long run 18.2 2:21:41 7:48 1398

Total distance: 64.3 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sorry Mikkey - I put 50+ group to shame - only ran 16 laps (67.2 miles) - was totally spent, weak and unmotivated by the end Sad. Just a weak excuse but I ran 8 loops at 100 oF (38 oC) - it took me two loops to realize that if I don't wear a cap and don't use some ice, I am going to die. But even with some ice and a cap it was still pretty tough. Don't know - really disappointed but still glad it's over Smile

Yeah the weather this weekend wasn’t really helpful to anyone doing this event. I was supposed to have my 50 miler and I thought my 5 mile run was bad.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

jhudak55

Cal - Awesome effort, especially given the weather!

60.1 Miles

M - 5.2 miles easy (9:17)

T - 8.4 miles with 4 mile tempo (6:52, 6:51, 6:46, 6:49)

W - 7.5 miles easy (8:57)

T - 10 miles easy (9:10)

F - 11 miles easy (8:31)

S - 6 miles easy (8:37)

S - 12 mile long run (8:11)

The weather during the week was brutal (70+ temps and dew point) for every run. Was out of town over the weekend and found some better conditions.

weatherboy80

Hey all - just a quick check in from the current COVID hot spot of Florida and it has been weeks since I last posted.  Lost some motivation to post weeklies etc ... but have been trying to read everyone's training in the meantime. Not much training out of the ordinary to note for me but I was able to race a 16:40 in an actual real-live (smallish) 5K back on July 4th, which I was pretty happy about breaking 17 in the middle of summer here.  Can't believe they actually held a live race here, but it was done pretty well.  We went off in waves of 5-10 and were assigned start times based on anticipated finish times and the start and finish areas were very well done with lots of social distancing occurring.  Gotta imagine that might be the last race for a while given the case load here for the time being.  Also so far looks like CIM is still on, but thinking that gets called towards the fall Sad

Congrats on the ultra Cal that is some crazy stuff!!  Hope everyone is staying cool and safe in the meantime Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hey all - just a quick check in from the current COVID hot spot of Florida and it has been weeks since I last posted.  Lost some motivation to post weeklies etc ... but have been trying to read everyone's training in the meantime. Not much training out of the ordinary to note for me but I was able to race a 16:40 in an actual real-live (smallish) 5K back on July 4th, which I was pretty happy about breaking 17 in the middle of summer here.  Can't believe they actually held a live race here, but it was done pretty well.  We went off in waves of 5-10 and were assigned start times based on anticipated finish times and the start and finish areas were very well done with lots of social distancing occurring.  Gotta imagine that might be the last race for a while given the case load here for the time being.  Also so far looks like CIM is still on, but thinking that gets called towards the fall Sad

Congrats on the ultra Cal that is some crazy stuff!!  Hope everyone is staying cool and safe in the meantime Smile

COVID 19 can't be spread while outside exercising. California said so over 3 months ago when this started. Even walking your dog prevents the spread of COVID 19. Have the volunteers wear masks and spread them out along the course. Either that or just require a negative test result at the check in since people negative for the virus shouldn't be prevented from doing anything. It's like being found not guilty of a crime, and then not having to go to jail for 14 days just because it makes other people feel safe.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-18/california-mandatory-face-masks-statewide-order-coronavirus-gavin-newsom

The state mandate exempts children 2 years old and younger, and people with a medical, mental health or developmental disability that prevents them from wearing a face covering. Restaurant customers are also exempt when eating and drinking, as are residents engaged in outdoor recreation as long as they are able to keep distance from others. So as long as you're a California resident you can run CIM without a mask regardless of where in the state you live as long as you stay 6 feet away from people. So eliminate pace groups and make aid stations smaller, but more frequent along the course, and it's going to fit within the regulations of Governor Gavin Newsom's fitness exemption for COVID 19.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Resident Historian

To the surprise of absolutely no one, Chicago cancelled. Refund or defer.

https://www.chicagomarathon.com/cancellation/2020-event-cancellation/

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

To the surpriseof abslutely no one, Chicago cancelled. Refund or defer.

Too bad, but like you said, not surprising.

On a positive note, anyone else excited about the Monaco Diamond League meet Aug. 14?  The 5000m should be great; Cheptegei will make an attempt on Kenny's WR. What do you all think? Can he do it?  After his road 5k WR in February I believe he can.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

To the surpriseof abslutely no one, Chicago cancelled. Refund or defer.

When do we start placing bets for the spring majors? I think vaccinations will have started at that point, but will there be enough people vaccinated for organizers to feel comfortable?

Also Cal - amazing work. Your training has been insane this spring/summer.

Weather - good to hear from you, going to continue to follow you on Strava as always!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Thanks everybody for kind words! The only thing I could agree with you - it was a big effort, really was. The problem is that the training I thought I had and the result I had this past Saturday put me so down - I do not think I was that down ever in my whole "running history". Basically - last 3 years I didn't run much at all - 1000-1400 miles per year and I was able to run 100K races with 13K+ elevation gain in 13-15 hours. This time, after 16 weeks of 100+ miles weeks and about 25 very decent weeks before that I was absolutely, totally sure that I will be able to run at least 100 miles (24 loops) in 24 hours - that was my minimum goal - I was done by loop 16. Taking into account that the elevation gain within those 16 loops was basically non-existent and you start understanding the disappointment. Like, why bother why run some ridiculous miles just to get a mediocre result? Yes, it was hot during the day (101 oF), but still - I gave up at 9pm, exactly when it started to cool off. Though, now I think something was wrong from the very beginning, from 6am, when the temps were fine (60oF) - I had 125 bpm HR average running 9:45 pace, when I usually have 8:45 pace at that HR, especially after I only ran 24 miles for the whole week before the race.

Anyway, I think I am OK now - not eager to get back to running, but will get back eventually, just need to reevaluate and rethink what next and how to do it in a better way.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

In March it was a 3 week quarantine. We’re WELL past that and we haven’t combined flu season with COVID 19 deaths. After spending some time in the COVID 19 thread, and living far away from where it’s REALLY deadly to catch COVID 19 I’ll place a bet.

i’ll bet $100 we have a vaccine conveniently around the time a flu shot is available and the two can be given as one. 
                          I’ll bet $100 the cutoff for Boston is 3:30-4:00 IF they don’t double the size of qualified times allowed in for 2021. 

Race organizers don’t have to feel comfortable about hosting a race. Runners should feel comfortable participating in a race. If you don’t feel comfortable then don’t participate. If you feel comfortable then sign up and go. People use to feel uncomfortable about weather for races yet they kept signing up. Now we’re worried about a virus getting us sick with mandates of quarantine and paid leave during quarantine. I’d have NEVER imagine paid leave from work would be something I’d be afraid of. I also NEVER actually thought I’d get in to Boston so my statement of it can quit running when I run the Boston Marathon’ is still in my favor.  Keep canceling it. I’m sure Boston will survive just fine without the jacket posse showing up every April.

When do we start placing bets for the spring majors? I think vaccinations will have started at that point, but will there be enough people vaccinated for organizers to feel comfortable?

Weather - good to hear from you, going to continue to follow you on Strava as always!

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keep up the training and get into Western States. I’ll come run part of it with you. After those few moments together around Mile 8 (I can’t think of the city right now) when you weren’t supposed to be running sub 3, and this year of 100 mile weeks I’m sure you can do a sub 24 on a good day. Shit happens you know that. It’s never the way we want it when we want it. Well maybe sometimes but the suffering comes before that in my case. Hope you start feeling better. Those marathons during the week were fucking nuts. I can’t even motivate myself to try speed work and you’re doing 26 miles multiple times in a week. And you’re like TWICE my age.

Thanks everybody for kind words! The only thing I could agree with you - it was a big effort, really was. The problem is that the training I thought I had and the result I had this past Saturday put me so down - I do not think I was that down ever in my whole "running history". Basically - last 3 years I didn't run much at all - 1000-1400 miles per year and I was able to run 100K races with 13K+ elevation gain in 13-15 hours. This time, after 16 weeks of 100+ miles weeks and about 25 very decent weeks before that I was absolutely, totally sure that I will be able to run at least 100 miles (24 loops) in 24 hours - that was my minimum goal - I was done by loop 16. Taking into account that the elevation gain within those 16 loops was basically non-existent and you start understanding the disappointment. Like, why bother why run some ridiculous miles just to get a mediocre result? Yes, it was hot during the day (101 oF), but still - I gave up at 9pm, exactly when it started to cool off. Though, now I think something was wrong from the very beginning, from 6am, when the temps were fine (60oF) - I had 125 bpm HR average running 9:45 pace, when I usually have 8:45 pace at that HR, especially after I only ran 24 miles for the whole week before the race.

Anyway, I think I am OK now - not eager to get back to running, but will get back eventually, just need to reevaluate and rethink what next and how to do it in a better way.

VDOT 53.37 

Cal did you taper into this thing ? Maybe you were dog tired going into it after multiple 100mpw. You are truly a legend with mileage and tough as nails.

JT I'm excited for that 5000m. Was it Cheptegei who ran Monaco solo ? If so hes a beast. I heard somewhere maybe there was controversy over the course length?

Anyway people who run 2.30 kms for 5000m are crazy fast.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Cal did you taper into this thing ? Maybe you were dog tired going into it after multiple 100mpw. You are truly a legend with mileage and tough as nails.

JT I'm excited for that 5000m. Was it Cheptegei who ran Monaco solo ? If so hes a beast. I heard somewhere maybe there was controversy over the course length?

Anyway people who run 2.30 kms for 5000m are crazy fast.

Piwi: Yes Cheptegei ran that road 5k start to finish by himself; second place was 13:18 so a ways back. I didn't hear anything about the course being short. They just ratified it as a WR so I guess it must have checked out. That race is mesmerizing to watch; I wish I could run that fast and with that form!

Cal: That kind of weather has got to factor in to things. I think that plus cumulative fatigue may have made it extremely difficult.