2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DPS - I entered CIM for similar reasons.  I'm not really planning on running it, and I suspect it may not happen, due to the difficulty of bussing people to the start.  But...December is a long way away, and I've been planning on returning to CIM sometime in the next few years.  So...if it's the only game in town, I'll run it.  If I run another marathon and it happens, I'll pay a fee and defer.  And if it doesn't happen, I'll take advantage of their deferral offer.  That deferral option made it an easy call.

JT Reeves - as you guessed, Bucks County is a no for me. I considered it, saw the surface, decided to skip.  But I do think that is the type of race most likely to happen.

Longboat - sounds like the piriformis on the one side is compensating for the adductor on the other side?  As for releasing it - tennis ball, yes, but you want to avoid that sciatic nerve by staying on the far sides of the muscle, not pressing in the belly of the muscle.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

cinnamon girl

M: 6.2 mi   
      T: 8.5 mi   
      W: 2 mi w/u, 2 x 1200 with 2 min rec, 4 x 400 with 60 sec rec 
      T: off
      F: 11 mi  
      S: 16 mi
      S: 6.5 mi

Wednesday was all I could do - 90 deg and breezy. As long as I'm getting at least some faster running right now is all I ask for.  Saturday my goal was to do something that would qualify as a long run but not feel like one and that turned out.

JTReeves: back to the Chipmunk - it was like mom was calling them home for dinner but they didn't want to stop playing. I like your 2 x 2 and plan for building on that. Yes the wind has died down - on most days anyways.

Longboat: I had something similar once .. and knew it was a femoral neck stress fracture.  It came out literally out of nowhere - all of a sudden - sharp and debilitating me to a limp, on a long run. So it's when I learned about the nasty pirifomis and the pigeon stretch.

Resident Historian

Cal - Yeah, I know, one thing after another. Getting really annoyed with this.

darkwave - I wondered too about the other leg compensating. Definitely possible. Although I was running ok last week, it didn't feel quite evenly balanced.

cinnamon - My very first thought as I grabbed a bush to prevent me from falling was "Oh, s___, femoral head!" 
        I too have learned about the piriformis, today!  Ginnie showed me that "pigeon pose" stretch already.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Running Problem - The major difference between Boston and London is that 80% of the Boston is qualifiers vs London only about 15% are "good-for-age" qualifiers (and they're limited to UK residents). About 40% are lottery place, and the odds of a lottery place are about 5%.

And also the registration fee....$200+ for Boston compared to £39 for London. 

Sorry to hear about the piriformis injury...I had it last year when training for London and did a lot of stretching and generally worked on strengthening my core/glute muscles....deadlifts, squats, side leg raises with ankle weights etc. Yeah it does sound like it could be a compensation issue.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

jhudak55

JT: Thanks. I've thought a lot about how to pace the mile, but still don't have a good plan yet. I want to make an attempt at 5:00, but think there is a very good chance I blow up at the end if I do.

Longboat: Sounds like you got some good info on the hip issue. Hopefully the rehab/recovery goes quickly. I recall my previous TT being a similar effort, but paced terribly (went out too fast and each mile was significantly slower).

During the summer when it gets really hot/humid I often have issues with my shoes/socks getting really wet from sweat.  This is to the point where I can hear/feel water "sloshing" like my shoes were waterlogged by running through puddles in the heavy rain. It seems that after about 8-10 miles is where I first start to notice. I wear Brooks Ghost 12 which have a mesh upper. Any recommendations?

OMR

My week went better than expected -- until the end. My hip adductor issue seems to have disappeared; I had it tightly wrapped in a tensor bandage for most runs, and a test run without the wrap went well. I reached my target 20 miles early in my Sunday run, heading for 25, when I got hit with sharp pain on the outside of my other hip. In two steps, I went from running easy and comfortable to dead stop, then a painful walk back home.

Some internet digging showed it was probably the piriformis spasming, although it's so deep I can't pinpoint the exact spot. Doesn't seem too serious, although I understand it can linger. I have some massage suggestions, stretches, and strengthening to do.  I thought I'd had every damn runner's injury ever invented, but this is new to me. Has anyone else had this issue? One specific question: massage with a tennis or harder ball, or just on the surface? (I saw some comments about not digging too deep because the sciatic nerve is under there.)

Longboat:  Probably not exactly the same, but I'll toss it out there anyway.  I had something kind of similar happen to me in a marathon several years ago.  By the end, I couldn't lift my leg high enough to step up onto a curb.  A physical therapist quickly diagnosed me as having a tilted pelvis, and realigned it in about a minute.  One trip back to the PT make sure things were still in alignment, some exercises to strengthen things, and I was good to go.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Running Problem - The major difference between Boston and London is that 80% of the Boston is qualifiers vs London only about 15% are "good-for-age" qualifiers (and they're limited to UK residents). About 40% are lottery place, and the odds of a lottery place are about 5%.

Ya know what?!!?!?!

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a29230214/boston-marathon-cutoff-time/

Runners World Article

The field for Boston grew this year to 31,500 runners. More than 80 percent of those are time qualifiers. The rest of the field gains entry by running for charities or through a different connection to the race.

Boston is becoming less and less of a big deal at this point. 80% get in if you're a D+ runner and have a couple hundred bucks to spend.

EDIT:

Maybe I'll get lucky and less charity runners will want to take part in 2021 after things like this. I'd pass on the opportunity to participate if I was Robyn Godfrey of Wilmington, North Carolina. This would be a worse feeling than the last mile of Mt. Charleston AND the vomiting in the medical tent afterwards all the while knowing I missed the time.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

weatherboy80

DW: I also signed up and was planning for CIM to be my big goal race of the fall, but I'm doubting that the race goes on as scheduled or in its current form Sad I was planning to make this a part of a larger California vacation for my wife and I by running the marathon and then heading to Napa, San Francisco, and the Disneyland for the next 2 weeks, but imagine we will delay most of the trip until things go back to normal.   I'll also wait a bit longer since CIM is offering the no worries deferrals for the time being.  Just not sure, especially with other big events cancelling already in California how they are going to hold a race and bring in domestic and international runners within the current environment?

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

was planning to make this a part of a larger California vacation for my wife and I by running the marathon and then heading to Napa, San Francisco, and the Disneyland for the next 2 weeks, but imagine we will delay most of the trip until things go back to normal.   

You live next to Disney World and you're going to include Disneyland in your travels?? That's a real dedication to the Disney network 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Longboat: I hope your problem now is not a stress fracture! I don't have much to add to what's already been offered for advice. I recall Andres had piriformis issues, and one stretch he recommended is something I've incorporated: just stand in from of a table and bring one leg up, fully bent at the knee, and rest it on the table, so that if it's your right leg you're lifting up you have the outside of your lower leg flat on the table. Just doing that works well for me to stretch that region.

DW: I was just teasing you about Bucks County; I know that's not your type of terrain. Actually the more I've looked online at pics and some videos of the towpath, the less enthused I am about it.

Cinnamon: Strong week. I can't imagine running in 90 deg heat, let alone doing a speed workout! At least your muscles are definitely warmed up in those conditions. I've been seeing lots of chipmunks, squirrels and deer on my runs, but most interesting is a big bear. I see him almost every morning except the mornings I bring my phone to try to get a picture of him! Here's a pic of him (most likely the same guy) in our neighbor's backyard.

Image may contain: outdoor

2:52:16 (2018)

pepperjack

pie man

Hog Fire is burning a bit of the Bizz Johnson trail right now.  Might have to change my prediction on that race happening now.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Magrawlas

Hi everyone, I posted away back on this thread but have been following the general chat since.

There's been some crazy stuff going on around the world and real shame big public events are being cancelled. Things will bounce back to some sort of normal soonish I hope.

In my original post I was after advice on what to do with my marathon plan as the Wellington NZ event had been delayed and also a bit of advice in general. Well the good news for me is that a date is now set for 30th August as predicted by Marky Mark.

I've reset my plan and am now right in the thick end of it. Had my longest run last weekend of 32km/ 20mile, do this again in a cpl of weeks then start to taper. I'm getting excited as it's my first marathon and I feel I'm going pretty well, no injuries other than bleeding nipples and black toenails.

All my long runs I've been able to average a 5.25 - 5.30 km pace. The final 10km worries me a bit as I was a bit buggered at the end of 32k, but the last 10k is suppose to be tough eh?!

My primary goal is to finish a marathon and if things go well and weather conditions are good to go sub 4hrs. For those of you who don't know Wellington we officially took the title of the windiest city in the world off Chicago a few years ago. It's a flat out and back course around the waterfront but can blow and gust like an arsehole.

I've been going well with the gels and sports drinks, thanks for all the previous advice.

Cheers

PS  JT, do you think you can out run that bear?

Running Problem

Problem Child

*rant*

DW: I also signed up and was planning for CIM to be my big goal race of the fall, but I'm doubting that the race goes on as scheduled or in its current form Sad I was planning to make this a part of a larger California vacation for my wife and I by running the marathon and then heading to Napa, San Francisco, and the Disneyland for the next 2 weeks, but imagine we will delay most of the trip until things go back to normal.   I'll also wait a bit longer since CIM is offering the no worries deferrals for the time being.  Just not sure, especially with other big events cancelling already in California how they are going to hold a race and bring in domestic and international runners within the current environment?

96 deaths in Sacramento County.

7,369 cases in Sacramento County.

1,567,490 people in Sacramento County.

4.70% of the population has COVID 19.

0.006% of the population has died with a positive COVID 19 test.

Gosh, in that environment how could you possibly THINK of going anywhere?

Outdoor activities are allowed without masks.

Indoor activities require a mask.

If the masking thing is good enough for you to visit Disneyland operating at 50% capacity why couldn't you run? Yo8u can sit at a restaurant filled with people not wearing masks and yet somehow CIM can't go on outside due to this deadly virus the news and internet say I'm supposed to be afraid of.

I figure you'd spend as much time around people standing in line at Disneyland or on rides as you would running the race especially at your pace. I don't think Disneyland is ANY different than a hotel room, delivery food, and some time standing in the corrals that could be spaced out at the start due to the amount of space CIM has on that road and doesn't use.

If you scared of catching COVID 19 then just stay home and stay safe. For the rest of us willing to risk our health and lives to run a marathon we should be allowed to exercise outside in accordance with state guidelines. If you've ever run a marathon and not been concerned about catching the flu I'm wondering why? I've always considered showing up to ANY marathon a risk to my health simply because of the stupid decisions people make. "I've been training. I HAVE to run this. Even WITH a fever of 101F."

oh yeah, my county saw a DECLINE in cases today and the Governor didn't say ANYTHING about entering Phase 3 (final phase) when a week ago he closed more stuff down and said we had to see a decrease in the numbers before opening up.

/rant

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

cinnamon girl

jhudak: meant to congratulate you on your 5k. I've been following your consistent training - great work!

JT: that bear looks about as innocent and playful as the Chipmunks! Well maybe not -  looks like he's more mischievous and likes to wreak havoc. It's dry heat here I'm sure so... well actually I haven't checked humidity or dew point recently so I'm not totally sure where that is at but when I finish my run my clothes are nearly dry. Oh and as far as the wind - I spoke too soon. I've never lived somewhere where it's been very hot and still windy. Tonight's run was in the low 90s with 15-20 mph winds. Any XC for your son this fall? I'm guessing not 

Magrawlas: welcome back!. 1st marathon? How exciting! Nice work on 20 miles!

It's a flat out and back course around the waterfront but can blow and gust like an arsehole.

Magrawlas: That gave me a good laugh!! Sounds like it could be a tough one depending on the weather; hopefully you get some luck in that regard. Looks like your training is going well, excited to see how it goes for you! Regarding the bear; not sure how fast they can run, but they always go away from me when I encounter one. They are reasonably afraid of humans. Now I'll probably get attacked by one tomorrow since I wrote this 

Cinnamon: Sounds like we're both running in nauseating conditions, but opposite in terms of perspiration. It's been a long time since I finished a run without my shirt totally soaked, and usually my shorts as well. Just disgustingly humid. Not sure which is worse, what you have or what I have. All I know is I've been dreaming about winter running the last few weeks....  Fingers are crossed that XC will take place this fall. CT is planning to start schools and to have all fall sports, provided things stay as they are in the state. We've had pretty good numbers so hopefully it stays that way. My son has been training, he runs in the afternoon despite me telling him he should switch to morning when it's cooler. He's young so he can handle it. 

2:52:16 (2018)