2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think the only ‘East’ week I had with 70 miles was with a 20 miler. It allowed me to have a shorter Sunday run which I could knock out early in the morning and relax doing it then get life stuff done like grocery shops or shower. 80 miles on 6 days a week is over a half marathon a day. My workouts were 13-14 and those were about an hour and fourth five minutes plus changing and showering. Being able to do 50 miles in 5 days makes it pretty easy to run 70 a week. I also thought running 50-60 was an insane amount training for a marathon in 2016.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Yes, unless they are huge which they will likely be. I'm 6' but my wife is 5'11" so there is a chance my son ends but being 6'4 or bigger judging by the size of my brother's kids whose wife is 6' (he is 6'2). His daughters and son are all on base to be pretty tall. They are all literally a head and shoulder above everyone in their grades.

DPS - great photo, so cool. You going to get your kids into running, make it a multi-generational thing?

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I know it well. I ran for St John's so '03-07 so we ran a meet there every year, not to mention trips via moorehead to points westward (hiking in MO). Anyway. I live just north of the airport by the VA hospital if you decide to take me up on it.

DPS:  Thanks, that's a very generous offer.  I actually live in Moorhead, and teach in the land of corn (Concordia Cobbers).  "Fear the Ear!"

Brew:  calbears is the "object may be closer than it appears" person in your rear view mirror.  I'm somewhere behind calbears..."too far away to see."  But, I'm back there...somewhere...

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Re: "days off" - what is considered a day off?  I regularly take 1-2 non-running days a week, spending those in the pool.  But I don't log those as "off."

I do agree with having one day a week that's dedicated to absorbing the hard work - for me that's usually Monday, where I do a very gentle yoga class and then pool-run for an hour or a bit longer.  But while that's very easy, that's not "off."  Off means NOTHING.

For myself, I don't generally like taking days completely off - it's not about a fear of losing fitness, but rather that I get really stiff and achy, and feel I'm better off with gentle activity.  It's also worth noting that I telecommute exclusively, so if I don't do SOMETHING, I'm utterly sedentary that day.   I will take the occasional day off if I'm traveling or have some other all day commitment (going to an amusement park, etc) - but in those cases, I have gentle activity that keeps me mobile the same way that pool-running and yoga do otherwise.

Another observation - I think that a 70 mile week spread out over 7 days of running is completely different from 70 miles over 6 days of running, or even 5.  For that reason, I've always thought that it's a mistake to focus too much on weekly mileage - it's a flawed metric.  I've had 60 mile weeks where I've only run 4 days that week (those four days were 12.5, 14, 12.5, and 21).  And yes, those were hard weeks.  Harder than when I've run 70 over 6 days.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Resident Historian

I'm (finally) coming off an Achilles strain; 20 miles last week. Most important, no "uh-oh" feeling in my ankle after any runs. I'll bump it up a few miles this week. I was around 35 mpw before the strain, so getting back there shouldn't be too difficult.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JT - Thanks! Running every day is a pretty new thing for me - I've only been doing it for maybe 3 months. I don't think that odd short/easy run really adds much of any stress to my week, but it does help me keep things a bit looser for my next run. It also helps further my wife's opinion that I'm a bit crazy and/or have a running addiction. There are worse things...
              I'm taking a bit of a new approach this cycle - one week with a single workout and a longer (20-22 mi) LR, then the next two workouts but a shorter (16 mi) LR. We'll see how it works.

DWave - Spot on about mileage over a "week" of running and the number of days that entails.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Re: "days off" - what is considered a day off?  I regularly take 1-2 non-running days a week, spending those in the pool.  But I don't log those as "off."

Sorry - I should have been clearer.  I meant a specific day off from running.

I also don't like having days completely off - they tend to make me lethargic.  On my days off from running I generally do some light strength training at the gym, although I vary up the routine and intensity based on how the legs are feeling and how many non-running days I've got that week.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Sorry - I should have been clearer.  I meant a specific day off from running.

I also don't like having days completely off - they tend to make me lethargic.  On my days off from running I generally do some light strength training at the gym, although I vary up the routine and intensity based on how the legs are feeling and how many non-running days I've got that week.

The same is true for me; my day off is off from running but is one of the 2 days/week I do my strength routine. But that is not very much work (takes about 15-20 min) so it is pretty close to a day totally off. 

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow you guys are making me feel guilty. My day off usually involves watching Netflix, eating and drinking too much, and/or sleeping a lot 

Longboat - Great news! Agreed on getting back to 35 mpw but be careful, no need to rush with that much time off.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fishyone

Hi all.  Sorry to be late to the party but here we go... Scott, 49 I live about 15 miles outside of Boston with most of my midweek miles run along the Charles River. Started running at 42 to loose weight and quickly became addicted.  Progressed from 3:50-3:15-3:08-3:04 finally sub 3.  I lurked in the old RW sub 3 forum which provided great motivation and makes me feel like I know (virtual) many of the runners here.  From 2015 until recently I've run without any goal or purpose (other than to keep the weight down).

My goal is to train hard this spring and hopefully qualify for Boston 2021 (I'd like to get 3:15).  My new years resolution is to incorporate morce shorter distance races into my spring training.  I have used Pfitz 18/70 and 18/85 in the past but for this cycle I plan to keep it simple with a tempo every week and alternating speed and hill sprints every other week.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Adderall

GENERIC NAME: Dextroamphetamine-Amphetamine

Get Adderall --

Adderall is a combination of two major drugs, amphetamine and dextromptamine. Adderall XR is a drug use form. Doctors also ask Adler to treat narcolepsy. Adderall can help people with ADHD control their activities and increase their attention. The drug may also prevent symptoms of narcolepsy, including excessive sleepiness and sudden daytime sleepiness. You can also modify this article which displays all the necessary details about the active additive.

https://onlinemedscare.com/product-category/buy-adderall-online/

Generic Adderall online:-

Adderall pills is generally well tolerated and effective in treating symptoms of ADHD and narcolepsy. At therapeutic doses, Adderall causes emotional and cognitive effects such as euphoria, changes in sexual desire, increased wakefulness, and improvement in cognitive control. At these doses, it induces physiological effects such as rapid reaction times, fatigue resistance, and increased muscle strength. Conversely, very large doses of Adderall can impair cognitive control, cause rapid muscle breakdown, or cause psychosis.

How to use Adderall:- Take this medicine by mouth or without food as directed by your doctor, usually 1 to 3 times a day. The first dose is usually taken when you wake up in the morning. If overdose is prescribed, take them as directed by your doctor, usually 4-6 hours apart. Late taking this medicine can cause sleepiness (insomnia). The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. Your doctor can adjust your dose to determine which is best for you. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully. Use this medicine regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time every day.

Marky_Mark_17

DOH! I just discovered that this year's NZ National Half Marathon Champs is going to be hosted at Auckland Waterfront HM on April 5.  I've already committed to doing Southern Lakes Half Marathon on... April 4.

I'd figured this was unlikely to happen because NZ Marathon Champs is only 4 weeks later in early May at Rotorua and HM Champs has generally been in the second half of the year, but I guess you never know.

I'd like to try and defend my National Masters HM title, and I could pull out of SLHM, but I'm still leaning towards running SLHM.  Despite being a net downhill course, it'll be much better preparation for Christchurch Marathon as the weather is likely to be far closer to Christchurch race day weather (Auckland could still potentially be quite warm at that time of year).  As a smaller race, it'll probably also be solo running which is what I'd expect most of the Christchurch Marathon to be.  Plus, it's a bucket list race I've wanted to do for a while, and I've run Waterfront the last 2 years.

The other black mark for Waterfront - as JMac and Keen may recall - is that last year they forgot to turn the finish mat timing on.  Now, I know the guys that run this race, and they are good operators and felt terrible about it, but that's still a near-unforgivable mistake in my books.  To make it worse, they had live timing every 1km of the race, so they managed to turn 20 timing mats on and forgot the most important one!  Even worse considering it is marketed as a PR-type course (it's dead flat).

The race director made amends to the faster athletes by using time-stamped finish line video footage to provide official finish times for the top 15 or so athletes, but the rest had to make do with an extrapolated 'official' time based on average pace at the 20km mark.  Of those top 15 I know at least 4 who ran PR's that day (including me) so who knows how many below that have a not-quite-right 'PR'.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Adderall

GENERIC NAME: Dextroamphetamine-Amphetamine

Get Adderall --

Brew - you've got to run a tighter ship here!!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Adderall

Brew - you've got to run a tighter ship here!!

To the best of my knowledge it isn't on the WADA list so I'll allow it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wow you guys are making me feel guilty. My day off usually involves watching Netflix, eating and drinking too much, and/or sleeping a lot 

Who has time to sleep? I think most of us have kids close to your age who require a LOT more time and attention. Drunk Netflix snacking and recovery napping sounds boring anyways.

VDOT 53.37