2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

OMR

...and there goes the Fargo Marathon series of events...

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/newsmd/coronavirus/6591638-COVID-19-uptick-prompts-Fargo-Marathon-to-cancel-August-event

...sorry for you, Dwave.  Would have been nice to meet you, and to watch you kick my a$$.

I had an interesting week...

T:  Rest

W:  9.6M

T:  8.2M

F:  4.6M (too humid for me, so I postponed the week’s hard workout for a couple of days)

S:  Umm...

S:  Stress Test

Monday:  Rest

The “Umm...” was an “event of some sort on Saturday morning that sent my heart into high gear, and my blood pressure through the roof.  Long story short, I spent the weekend in the outpatient clinic, under observation.  EKG and echocardiogram looked great, I was hooked up to a monitor for roughly 24 hours without incident, and I passed the stress test yesterday.  The Dr. who visited with me before being discharged said, after looking at the echocardiogram and Stress Test, that I “...have a beautiful heart,” and that it is in amazing shape for someone my age.  (And I was tested for COVID, and that was negative.)

I can’t remember how many times I had to tell nurses and doctors that it is not uncommon for my heart rate to be in the low 40s at rest.  they woke me up in the middle of the night (meaning sometime between 4am and 7am, since that’s about all I slept) to make sure I was OK, because my HR dropped to 38.

I’m supposed to resume normal activities, including running, but I took today off.  The upcoming week was supposed to be a down week anyway, so I can keep up with training, as they do want me to run as I normally do.  I’ll be hooked up to an event heart monitor for a month, probably starting tomorrow, in case it happens again.  Honestly, I think it was a reaction to stress.

OMR - oooof.   Hope you're OK.  Don't hesitate to pm me if you need any free&worthless medical advice.

Running Problem

Problem Child

OMR 4am wake up call? Sounds like life with a toddler.

Rov how's the medical life these days? Still non stop 14 hour days due to COVID 19 or finally calming down with longer days and asymptomatic people testing positive?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Rov how's the medical life these days? Still non stop 14 hour days due to COVID 19 or finally calming down with longer days and asymptomatic people testing positive?

Covid in NYC has been super-quiet ever since our tsunami in March/April...  Very unusual to see a fresh case here these days.

CalBears

Covid in NYC has been super-quiet ever since our tsunami in March/April...  Very unusual to see a fresh case here these days.

Interesting... Where are those 60-70K new cases every day are coming from then? Just Florida, Texas and California?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Resident Historian

Interesting... Where are those 60-70K new cases every day are coming from then? Just Florida, Texas and California?

A little more than 1/3 from those states. Then Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Virginia, Oklahoma, and a few more states (+US Military & VA) are over 1k/day.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

darkwave

Mother of Cats

A little more than 1/3 from those states. Then Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Virginia, Oklahoma, and a few more states (+US Military & VA) are over 1k/day.

In defense of my state (Virginia) - my area (NoVa) is actually doing pretty well - it's the beach areas a few hours to the south that are struggling.

OMR - please take care of yourself - I hope this is just a blip.

Wearing the Holter monitor may be interesting - I've never worn one, but I've been told that they're not really designed for active people....

As for Fargo - I'm not all that surprised since ND cases are going back up.   Ah well.  Hotel can be cancelled, cheap plane fare can be reused without penalty, and race is getting refunded.  Would have been cool to have an excuse to check out ND, though.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ran the Loudoun Street Mile Saturday morning in 5:23. Was the first mile race I had ever run and was a lot more fun than I was anticipating. My quarter mile splits were 1:19, 1:26, 1:22, 1:15. Decided to not look at my watch and run it by feel rather than to shoot for an arbitrary goal time.

Very nice job!  You beat my fastest time on that course (5:25 - still my PR).  And your splits look perfect for that course.  Well done!

Did they have people calling out the splits at the quarter mile marks this year?  They usually do, but I wasn't sure if they would avoid it because of Covid.

As for the treadmill - I still have it through August 20, but haven't been using it.  As odd as it sounds, when it's this hot, it's more comfortable to run outside.    Our house is kept at the high 70s/low 80s during the day, so running on the treadmill quickly gets stifling with those temperatures and no air flow.  Even after allowing for slightly higher temperatures outside plus the ambient effects of sunshine, it's more comfortable to run outside.

(and yes, I could run on the treadmill for heat acclimation - but I sweat so much that the belt very quickly becomes slick, and I really don't want to risk that while working through my hamstring issue)

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Interesting. All I recall hearing was how horrible and deadly it was there (statistically) and then recently Cuomo (whatever his role is) wasn't wearing a mask somewhere he went and upset people in his home state where he told people to wear a mask.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Interesting. All I recall hearing was how horrible and deadly it was there (statistically) and then recently Cuomo (whatever his role is) wasn't wearing a mask somewhere he went and upset people in his home state where he told people to wear a mask.

Do as I say, not as I do. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JTReeves - good mileage.  Is that 20 an indication that you are still eyeing a fall marathon somewhere?

DW: Yes, I've got 3 possibles for late October/early November. In current order of preference they are 1) Norther Ohio; 2) Harrisburg and 3) Bucks County. Registered for all 3.  I'm also eyeing Suffolk County and Detroit but am doubtful these will happen. So yes, I'm training seriously now for a marathon. Worst case, if everything is cancelled, I'll do a time trial of some sort.

OMR: Sounds scary but glad things checked out well on the ticker.

jhudak: Nice work on the mile! Looks like you finished strong. I ran my first and only road mile last summer and it was a lot of fun; downhill and a straight road and though very painful it was over before I knew it. How do you feel about the time? Any plans to go to the track and do a time trial?

Mikkey and Cal: Post your weeks boys!

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Do as I say, not as I do. 

Run at an easy pace without tracking your daily, weekly, or monthly mileage. Also run without a GPS watch. 

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey and Cal: Post your weeks boys!

He’s probably a bit stressed out now because I ran a casual sub3:20 today without breaking into a sweat. 😳

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: Yes, I've got 3 possibles for late October/early November. In current order of preference they are 1) Norther Ohio; 2) Harrisburg and 3) Bucks County. Registered for all 3.  I'm also eyeing Suffolk County and Detroit but am doubtful these will happen. So yes, I'm training seriously now for a marathon. Worst case, if everything is cancelled, I'll do a time trial of some sort.

Ah - fingers crossed.  The order of preference for my fall marathons is also temporal - honestly I'm going to run the first one that happens (assuming one happens) unless the weather for that one is apocalyptic.

I honestly think that White River (CK's race) has the best chance of happening.  But as I think about it, I'd rather not run a marathon that close to Thanksgiving, since I'd like to visit my parents for Thanksgiving also, and I would prefer to be supersafe about my practices in the days/weeks before visiting them.

Separate from Covid, I'd prefer to run a marathon BEFORE the election.  I have a sense that, regardless of who wins this fall, there will be uproar and protests and demonstrations that could disrupt marathons.

I _think_ Detroit got swapped to virtual.

CalBears

He’s probably a bit stressed out now because I ran a casual sub3:20 today without breaking into a sweat. 😳

Breaking into a sweat or not breaking into it is not known as you do not have the HR data - so, it might be an easy effort for you or it might be a 100% effort for you - no data leaves to a speculation.

JTR - Not much to report. Having hard time to make myself out of the door - first after ultra race disappointment and then, within two weeks all the races, ALL of them which I was going to or signed for were cancelled. Some of them - 4 months ahead. It's just unbelievable. Hard time to motivate myself - even Mikkey's challenge doesn't seem so lucrative anymore as I start to believe there will be no race of Boston scale in very far foreseeable future. Just do not see it happening until successful vaccine is out and proven working that will require time, and active cases need to get down like 10-20 times less than they are now, I think.

I am trying to run speed workout per Daniels schedule for 60-70 miles a week, 2 workouts a week. Will see how long will I last. If I see some good speed improvement, that probably might motivate me. So far I ran 16.4 miles 2 weeks ago and 52.5 miles last week. Will try to support some level of fitness just not to lose too much of what I already gained (though, hopefully, because I am not sure I gained anything for the last 20 weeks - all runs still not too easy).

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile